Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The coins you have not found yet

Posted by gman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: The coins you have not found yet
February 24, 2012 03:55AM
Speaking of "cashe hunting", I just heard that a constrution company was recently doing work in a old home over in France and they had to poke some holes in a ceiling to bust it out and then a million dollars in gold coins started raining down. The owner ended up giving half to the workers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 11:11AM by Aaron.
February 24, 2012 06:05AM
Good cache story....Thanks for sharing!!!!

If they Did not want the story out....Too late.....they messed up and told a few select people....

I alway's like to read between the line's on the Cache find news story's...

"The current value of gold is $1,765 per ounce, although Bishop said that she is not in a rush to have the coins appraised.

Right now we just think gold is a good thing to have around, Bishop said. We have no plans for it yet.

The coins are being stored in a safety deposit box at a bank, where they will stay"

They say there not in a hurry.....I'll bet they have already been sold or there in negotiation's....Can't tell the Gov..you sold them....they would hit you on taxes...

But cant have someone breaking in looking for them so they say there in a safety deposit box......

Better to stay quite....and that's what most people do....for every one you read about there's dozens more un-reported....

Cache's are 100% real!!!!

Lot's of peole beleive they are armchair legend's.......but I know of a few and actually came up on one right after excavation....

What I witnessed was about 7 year's ago....They were tearing down an old farmhouse circa 1890 ,,They were making way for a new subdivision...

I was riding down the road here in my county close to my house and it was a Saturday afternoon about 4 P.M. and I noticed the bulldozer's sitting in a cleared area and the old beautiful Oak surrounded house was missing from the back of the field....I saw a couple of guy's standing around the dozer's parked just beside where the old victorian house once set....

Well I had the detector in the truck so I pulled in to get permission to swing...I had hunted the property year's earlier and found a few Civil War relics so Thought I would see what else might have been brought to the surface........

I walked up to the 2 guy's and told them my intentions ....one guy was real friendly and the other was stand offish...We were standing right dead center where the house stood....we were in the crawlspace area under the house ...The house set about 3 feet off the ground on top of brick pillar's with lattice in between...I could see while I was standing there where they had been walking around in the fresh loamy soil ...just multitudes of footprint's...I said you dont mind if I run my detector here do ya?The friendly guy said yeah sure go for it but I dont think you will find anything becasue we allready got it....I said oh yall detect too? He said no but check this out....he reached into his pocket and pulled out a wadded piec of cloth and unfolded it...well what I saw was truly awesome to tsay the least....He had at least 25 silver dollar's ...I saw them spilled out in the cloth in the palm's of his hand's then quickly covered back up and put in his pocket!!I looked through the coins as fast as I could ( It was just a momentary flash but seemed to freeze in time ) I saw date's like 188? 189?..I said man Silver dollar's!!! He said thats not all of them we split them even.....The silent partner did not speak .......He said show him your's .....He had done placed them in his truck a few feet way.....He pulled them from the glove box of his truck with the prodding of his co-worker....He had as many as his buddy in a stack but I could not see the date's...

I said where did you get them....the silent man spoke up then....he said down there beside that creek...The friendly one said man whats wrong with you we got them coins right here pointing towards the area they had walked back and forth....They were scattered across the ground in front of that broken jar glass....as I looked around the area where the house once stood I saw light blue Mason jar glass scattered about in the same area of the footprint's....Ah-ha I thought I got a silver dollar fixing to be in my pocket if I can gain permission....But they still argued about where they came from and the friendly guy finally got it and said yeah they came from the area around the creek but the busted jar part of story remained...

After few minutes more of talking....I was in...The silent man did not like the idea but the friendly one did not mind a bit....They said go ahead.. I said I will come back when you are done....they said they was done and go ahead....So I went down to the creek while they watched ...they kept an eye on me for about 20 minute's and finally I believe were content that I was believing the bogus story......

I would hate to hear what Mr.Quite was saying to Mr. Talker up at the truck's....!!!!

Any how they left and I gave it a few minutes and headed up for the house spot.....There was the busted jar. there was the footprint's everywhere the finger scrapes through the loose dirt.....I thought he we go!!!!

Believe it or not I could not find one Silver dollar in the area!!!!!Did get a Loan Mercury dime from the 30's but that was it......

But the best part of it was that I was reassured that the tells are true.....Another 30 minutes and it would of been another cache story not a real experience for me....If I had of ever even heard of it.......

Imaging all the caches that go un-reported then imagine all the ones that get lost in construction.....and imagine all the ones still waiting to be found...

I would bet each state has the potential to hold thousand's of REAL cache's....

Post civil war Southern state's did not trust bank's...whatever those guys scraped together they hid it away....Post hole bank's were very much the norm..

....Ever found barbed wire fence fell in the ground strecting for hundreds of feet......then come up on the u-nails every so often....those are the post holes...The u-nails held the wire to the pole's..
The old timer's trick was to drop a jar of money in a loose post hole along the fence line....Say 5th post from the corner....easy to keep up with.....they would cut the bottom of the post off the same height of the jar to keep it from looking to high from the rest and ....they would make a dposit on some moonlit nigth every so often...or even make a withdrawl when need be....

My Father was born In 1934 in rural N.Ga....He spent alot of time with his grandad who ran a small Store on his property....He said when he would stay the night with his Grand-Dad that after closing the store he would count his money for the day and place it in the house...But he would take some coin's and put in his overall bib...After supper he said he would take a walk at dusk dark...and come back afterdark.....Never would let my dad go with him....

I have talked to Dad dozens of time's about this ...and while then it did not occur to him....He now believes Old Gran-Dad was going to the bank at night....

I have scoured the approximate area Dad said he used to go...But to no avail Hummm!!!!!!

Good thread...

Keith
February 24, 2012 06:30AM
Aaron............ does this sound 'familiar'???

Keith........... I think the numbers are quite a bit higher!
February 24, 2012 06:44AM
Hey Tom funny you mention the number's being higher.....I had typed 10's of 1000's for each state ...but was scared of making some peopel think I had went El-Loco!!!

But yes they are for sure uncountable cache's/hoard's across this great nation...from the minute to the unimaginable....

Keith
February 24, 2012 11:26AM
Tom - Yep! I was thinking the same thing...

Keith - Thanks a lot for sharing...you and Tom share the same lines of thinking.
You two need to write a book!
February 24, 2012 11:31AM
Here's another for ya. I know this one 100% true because it happened on the adjoining property where I grew up.

There was an older man and woman that owned it. He was a big time cattle man...they own probably 1,000+ acres here. Any rate, he was the guy that didn't dress in nice clean clothes and the house he lived in was probably 600-700 sq ft with dirt floor. His wife was different...she is still crazy as a bat but more sane than her husband was. She bought a single wide trailer and moved in it cause she was tired of dirt floors....mind you, this is in the late 90s. Well her husband passed away and she took over everything. The first thing she wanted done was that old house tore down. So she hired some guys to do it. The house didn't have insulation or sheet rock...more the less was old newspapers stuffed behind paneling for insulation. They were tearing the house down and found a crap load of money hidden in the walls. They were honest enough to tell her about it and she rewarded them by letting them have it for doing the work. No idea how much for certain but she says it was a few hundred dollars at least. When her husband died he left her with the land and more money than she could spend...they were wealthy but sure didn't live like it. They said one time he went to town looking at trucks and the salesman kinda scoffed at him cause of how he was dressed (nasty manure and dirt covered overalls and boots) and he priced a pickup truck and just whipped out a roll of hundreds and left with the truck....paid in full with cash. lol
February 24, 2012 01:27PM
I come across burried rusted barbed wire often, in the woods. Sometimes it's sticking out of the middle of a 3 foot diameter tree. I get iron grunts along the length of the burried wire and overload signals. I always stay clear of the wire because of the overload. Kieth, never thought about the u-nails for finding the posts, thanks.
February 24, 2012 02:40PM
End-point: From about the END of the great depression (which would be mid-WWII time-frame) going all the way back to:

Beginning-point: Mankind, civilization........ or ......... for us in the United States... the 'discovery' of America.

.............Nearly every household in America had 2 caches per family. One was for daily/weekly expenditures........... and the other was for 'life-savings'.

FDIC, FSLIC does not go back very far. Banks were hard to access without the invention of a car. Paper currency was hated/distrusted.

More 'food-for-thought'.
February 24, 2012 03:14PM
food-for-thought...holy COW. You gotta be KIDDING me!

Steve
February 24, 2012 04:10PM
Those that lived through the depression especially, these are the ones who will be more apt to hide small caches throughout the home. I know this from personal experience.
Also...if you ever inherit a home from a relative that did live through that time, check EVERYTHING before you throw it out!!!
February 24, 2012 07:41PM
My mom came from a family of 11 brothers and sisters who grew up during the depression. I had an uncle who passed away in 2004 and when his brothers and sisters { my aunts and uncles} were getting things ready for auction they found a safe in his bedroom closet with a chain and padlock wrapped around it.I was there when they opened it and we counted $ 50,000 dollars in it. Then in 2008 i had an aunt pass away and her only child (my cousin) was getting her house and things ready for auction and found close to $ 250,000 dollars in books and in dresser drawers. I heard stories from them about growing up during the depression, and i know when they became adults they lived pretty simple and hung on to about every dime they made.
February 24, 2012 08:15PM
Never found a silver dollar, found quite a few barbers, including some semikey dates, found almost a complete set of V nickles, lacking an 1884 and the untouchable "1913". Coins I haven't found, halfdime, large cent, also would like a silver three cent, please LOL.---Wade
February 25, 2012 06:38AM
My brother used to carve wood duck decoys. He had an older mentor that died, and his widow had my brother help her remove alot of his stuff. He had an old wooden workbench that they were throwing away. My brother decided that he wanted to save his back, and pulled out all the drawers to make the bench lighter. Above one of the holes in the desk, there was $30,000 cash duck taped to the under-side of the table top.

Another friend bought a bunch of old film canisters at an auction. One had money rolled up in it.
February 25, 2012 01:18PM
I only ask that all of you ..... simply enhance your 'awareness' of this matter.
February 28, 2012 02:36PM
Well, this thread is helping to "enhance my awareness" all right...I never gave much thought to the reality of "cache" hunting; my thoughts were that "sure, there are a few around, but the 'money in a jar' idea is more myth, than anything else." Guess I may have underestimated the real possibility that caches exist in much larger numbers than I ever thought possible...

Steve
February 28, 2012 02:52PM
I tried to help find a cache once but was unsuccessful. A buddy of my uncle is an old crazy mountain man and had made him up some White Lightning and had several quart jars full of it. He came home drunk and his wife went on a rampage and began throwing his precious Shine outside busting the jars. He grabbed what he could and ran out to hide the rest from her. He was successful. Problem was...he was too successful and couldn't remember where he put it after he sobered up lol Let me tell ya...gettin a call to help look for something is one thing. 9 times out of 10 the person has an idea where they lost the item....in this case it was like " well I ain't got the foggiest ideer (idea) where to even point you in the right direction but its somewhere out there" as he points off in the distance. I didn't find it but he did later on after a rain washed them out of a gully.
there have been coins found here in chimneys when they were torn down
February 28, 2012 06:20PM