Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT Pro questions

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT Pro questions
February 26, 2012 12:36PM
I am considering getting a Garrett AT Pro for a backup detector to my Fisher F70. However I have read some bad press on the AT Pro. Where these problems resolved that were claimed to exist such as a coil problems and depth problems. Those of you who own an AT pro, how do you like them? How deep are you finding coins in various type of soil and when there is high EMI how do they perform? What are your likes and dislikes. Thanks in advance.
Re: AT Pro questions
February 26, 2012 01:04PM
The AT Pro is a very fun detector to use. The audio is very good and I never use discrimination as a coin hunter.
The Iron audio feature is a cool option, but I only use it on suspect targets.
The AT Gold stock coil the 5 x 8 is the coil to have. Keith Southern did a nice write up on it on this forum.
I seldom see where anyone has problems with their detector since Garrett came out with the shaft cam version.
The origional AT Pros did ship with bad coils. Called by the host of this site very early.
Garrett stepped up to the plate and made things right. I never read anywhere that Garrett screwed an AT Pro owner.
There was also some leakage problems on the early units. Mine was pressure tested by garrett for free minus shipping. I have yet to have it under water, but this Summer I will.
Depth is probably not as good as your F70. But the AT Pro does a nice job. Like I said the 5 x 8 is the coil to have. So you know going in there will be less depth with the smaller coil.
The AT Pro is a mid priced detector on the lower end. People compare it to the top end machines all the time. Sometimes the AT Pro does come out on top.
I have an Etrac now. But the AT Pro will get it 's fair share of use.
There is something also to be said for hunting in the rain and mud with it. Just rinse it off.

To sum it all up. I don't know if there is a better 500.00 detector out there. As a back up it will do the job and then some. It is hard to explain why some detectors are just fun to use. But I find that to be the case.
February 26, 2012 01:12PM
Garrett resolved the ATPro problems mid last year and quite successfully, where you been man?
I run my sensitivity wide open in low min soil with little interference. It is also REAL sensitive to lower conductors, which is a plus for water hunting pounded sites. Though I use it mostly for water, I have spent a few hours in the dirt w it and have gotten pennies/dimes easily at 7". The ATPro is one of the only machines I have that I can run full open with no problems w falsing or EMI.
I found one of those mens tunsten rings last fall in a sandy river that was every bit of 12".
Considering that the ATPro is waterproof (to 10ft) I feel there's nothing to compare to it in the price range. The audio is unlike anything else out there and is great in iron. The only thing I don't really like is the headphones, however I'm going to get the waterproof ones anyway this spring.
February 26, 2012 01:15PM
I do believe the initial issues (bugs) have all been worked out of the AT Pro.
February 26, 2012 01:58PM
I had two. One with the bugs, that I bought early last year. And one without any bugs, that I bought about 3 monthjs ago. Like everone else said, The bugs have all been worked out plus I will venture to say that my AT pro will hit targets in my test garden that the first one wouldn't.. I lovemy AT pro. Please consider doing yourself a favor and getting the 5x8 coil as an extra. It loves nail infested sites and WILL breathe new life back into places that you thought that you'd cleaned out. That's been my experience.
February 26, 2012 02:06PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I asked about the early problems because you can't believe everything you read. I had looked at a video by a person In Oregon and I believe Germany that really put the detector down with video proof. There are a lot of detectors in this price range but I like some of the options built into this detector.
February 26, 2012 02:24PM
Keith is the guy to talk to here regarding the ATPro
February 26, 2012 03:10PM
Coinseeker 78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to everyone for your responses. I asked
> about the early problems because you can't believe
> everything you read. I had looked at a video by a
> person In Oregon and I believe Germany that really
> put the detector down with video proof. There are
> a lot of detectors in this price range but I like
> some of the options built into this detector.

My new AT Pro will pick up every coin and bullet in my test garden. One quarter is at 9 inches. I can hit it with the 5x8 coil (and the stock coil of course). I also have a dime at 9 inches (all measured accurately) and even the 5x8 coil hit's it with very faint hi tones, but repeatable. The stock coil hits it clearer of course. This newer AT Pro is phenominal. I'm not trying to pass bad info to ya to influence you to buy one. I'm just stating the facts. My first AT Pro acted more like the guy in the Oregon video. But my new one is a hottie. It may sound like I am stretching the truth about how deep the 5x8 inch coil will go. But I AM NOT.

EDIT: I just went out with the 5x8 coil on my 7 and 9 inch targets. The ground has been drying out rapidly with a dry northwestern wind over the last two days. I am still acquiring the 7 inch dime with sufficient audio to dig. And good numbers. The nine inch quarter and dime are NOW showing up as iron mostly but with numbers bouncing up into the 50's. (This is on the quarter) I would PRBABLY dig it. But the 9 inch dime is staying in the iron range audio wise. With an occasional bounce into the mid tone. That in itself MIGHT make me dig it, but I would probably skip over the 9 inch dime in real world conditions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 03:41PM by Kevin B.
February 26, 2012 05:25PM
A 5 x 8" coil ID that is accurate to 7" deep targets is impressive...that coil is next up on my accessory list. In contrast to the AT PRO, I find the Omega works well in the dry ground...so it compliments your AT PRO. An Omega style detector with improved EMI performance, boost process, and a more distinctive high tone, with same operating frequency would seem to be good place for FT to go.
February 26, 2012 11:21PM
Just a thought worth repeating:

The F75SE with 5" coil in boost process has the same depth as the AT Pro equipped with large stock coil. Yes, apples-to-oranges........... as the F75SE (with a boost process) is $1200 and the AT Pro $600.
February 26, 2012 11:26PM
How much better is the 8X5 coil over the stock coil? I've been looking at the Pro as a rainproof backup to my 3d.
February 27, 2012 02:51AM
I just bought an AT Pro Saturday. Any with a serial number starting with 510 or higher have the coil issue resolved and have locking collars on the arm to minimize falsing. I heard the same bad press, so I asked before I bought, and that's the answer I got.

I've only used mine a few hours, but I'm very impressed so far. That's the best I can offer.