Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT PRO soil questions.

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT PRO soil questions.
February 27, 2012 02:29PM
I have just about decided to purchase a Garrett AT Pro detector for a backup to my F70. My questions are, How well does the AT Pro work in wet and dry sand compared to the F70/75 Fisher? Also, How well does the AT Pro work around EMI and highly mineralized soil compared to the F70/75 detectors. Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 02:30PM by Coinseeker 78.
Re: AT PRO soil questions.
February 28, 2012 03:03AM
The AT-Pro does not work well around wet salt. It is fairly stable around EMI. And for a single freq detector...... it does fairly well in highly mineralized dirt......... all things considered.
February 28, 2012 03:21PM
I was thinking about getting a AT PRO as a back-up for my CZ6a that Tom set for me. Would it be a good back up or is the CZ about the same for coins? I don,t do much water hunting.
February 29, 2012 01:00AM
Very good back-up. Totally different platform. Not as deep as CZ, yet..... better in iron/nails.
February 29, 2012 01:19AM
Coinseeker......not to hijack thread....Tom D..... what would you prefer...the current AT Pro or the DD coil outfitted Omega....in highly mineralized soil & heavy iron?
February 29, 2012 01:52AM
I'm concerned about your alluding to 'highly mineralized soil'............ as I would then...only recommend the Minelab's. And if dirt is severe enough........ then only a PI unit.
There are some areas that I have hunted in Georgia (60-miles East of Atlanta)......... where the CZ, F75 and Explorer-2 would 'overload' ....... with the coil 6" above the ground (due to mineralization)................. and ONLY a PI would function in this environment/capacity (((and virtually uninhibited))).

"Highly mineralized" and "Heavy iron" ........................ technology is not available (yet) to handle this type of condition. Best method for this condition is............. large shovel, rare Earth magnet, high calorie diet, patience, muscle.......... and dig a excavation pit.

If mineralization is not TOO bad....... then the AT Pro would be suitable choice.
February 29, 2012 02:38AM
Thanks!!
February 29, 2012 04:59PM
CZ, F75, and Explorer II OVERLOADING -- 6" above the ground, due to mineralization??? I'm shocked at that...had NO IDEA there was dirt that was mineralized that badly, ANYWHERE...

Steve
February 29, 2012 09:23PM
There is another area that is quite a bit more severe. Yes...... mineralization is that bad. I have a 200-pound sample that I brought home to Florida...... for testing purposes.
March 01, 2012 02:55PM
I'm shocked. That gives a totally new meaning to "bad dirt!" If the scale runs from your mild Florida silica, all the way up to that 200-pound sample you refer to, then from that perspective, nearly ALL soils fall way to the "mild" end of things...

Steve
March 02, 2012 03:34AM
In one particular area......... a CZ would bell-tone overload with the coil nearly a foot off of the ground.

.......... Also........ a few years ago ... I sent Dave Johnson .....a 35-pound sample of 'fairly' severe dirt.