Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Storm Hunting Year....?

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Storm Hunting Year....?
March 19, 2012 04:26PM
I'm hearing with the exceptionally mild winter and now w all the premature warm weather now the talk of a interesting hurricane season.

I'm ready....
Re: Storm Hunting Year....?
March 19, 2012 11:12PM
If I rember correctly they called for bad hurricane seasons for the last few years and all those forcasts were a bust. In fact every since Katrina the hurricanes haven't been that memorable. But year in year out they find some reason(global warming, el nino, la nina, etc) for predicting a bad year. Eventually we will have a bad year and they will think they are geniuses.
March 20, 2012 01:12AM
Don't know about hurricanes but two yrs in a row in TN we've had thet worst outbreaks of Tornados in over 40 yrs. I just got back in and showered from helping clean up trees and debris in a local community that got hit by an EF2 just a couple weeks ago....it missed following the same path of another EF2 by just a couple miles that hit last year. Still too many sight seeing folks...they need to just stop and break out the gloves and elbow grease and help instead of rubber necking.
March 20, 2012 01:41AM
its unfortunate,but "some" people are fascinated
by the "adversity" of others..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 20, 2012 01:46AM
I've been around for over 50 years and I don't remember as many devastating tornadoes as there has been the last few years, a couple of towns have been hit a few times, how do you recover from that, even up here the weather has been weird, but if you read the town history books, they mention storm that come along every 50 years and reek havoc, I read up here they would have 17 foot snow storms and it would snow for a week, or the yearly freshlets, that would wipe out the whole town
March 20, 2012 01:59AM
one would think that unless you had a "tornado rider"on your house
insurance policy,you would be in dire straits trying to collect from the carrier.
they are going to say "act of god",and NOT cover the damage!..maybe i am wrong,
and they will cover out of the goodness of their heart!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 20, 2012 02:04AM
I'm in awe at the power of the storms themselves but when neighbors are needing help, it's not the time to go get googly eyed over their devastation. I don't even know the people but I know that next time it could just as easily be ME in their shoes and I'd like somebody to help me. I can't help but stop and look around sometimes at the power....just an EF2 but seeing a swath of 100+ yr old trees taken completely down like a giant bulldozer came through and laid them all down in a path about 8 miles long by 100 yards wide....and 10-15 feet sections of tin roofs wrapped around things like a twisty tie that goes around bread bags to keep it fresh...wow that's some power.

An EF4 hit the community that I relic hunt in a lot last year during an ourbreak of them. I couldn't believe how much it changed that whole entire area. The last time I was down there I was in a pine thicket where I have a video on YouTube of me digging a Union eagle breastplate. At any rate, those pines are broken up bad now and there was debris all through them. I should have picked it up and took it with me, but in the middle of a logging road near where I found the breastplate, lay a little kid's teddy bear...sort of a grim reminder nearly a year after it destroyed several houses within sight of where I was...including the nearest one in which the whole family (including a small child) was killed. Could that have been the child's teddy bear? I guess I wonder about things like that too much...I've thought about going back down there and trying to find it but have been busy.
March 20, 2012 02:40AM
it's sad,and you wonder about god's plan for us!
he certainly moves in mysterious ways!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.