Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MXT Pro or AT Pro, Who's had both?

Posted by Joe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Joe
MXT Pro or AT Pro, Who's had both?
March 29, 2012 05:37PM
- what's lost and what's gained.
Right now I have, and really like, an MXT Pro but with all the hype about the AT Pro I thought I should ask about how they match up. If anyone out there has or has had both, what's your thoughts?
I'm primarily a fresh water hunter and use a CZ-21 when I dive or wade but I know I'm missing out on some of the smaller gold jewelry. I'd go for the Tiger Shark except for the mineraliztion here, so, I've been looking at the AT Pro as a possible crossover in shallower water. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell the MXT first, it has payed for itself on land hunts so I don't take trading it in very lightly.

Joe

If this has been gone over here before I apologize and could someone point to the thread. I've seen it come up on other forums but I trust the folks here to give a more unbiased response.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 09:09PM by Joe.
Re: MXT Pro or AT Pro, Who's had both?
March 29, 2012 10:04PM
The one main reason the AT Pro will be a better bet is due to you wanting to get into the water to find the smaller gold the CZ21 may not be able to sniff out. Waterproof will always trump non-water proof...when IN the water. The MXT is a really nice unit, and if you think you could be careful and wade with it, then you have a nice small gold jewelry hunter....but one slip and you have tears in your eyes.
March 30, 2012 12:10AM
I have had all the MXT's, MXT,MXT 300 and the MXT pro and now have a AT Pro... I have only used the AT pro with the 5x8" dd coil.
I did not like the stock AT pro head phones,, so I got the adptor cable, so I could use my Uni Probe head phones....
If I was going to water hunt, I would get the Blue head phones, there water proof,,but no Vol. con.
I have heard that some cut foam and put in the cups to tone em down.
The 5x8 coil works good in trash, and in the Pro mode and the iron audio is great, I find my self digging less iron than I did with the MXT.
The AT has a freq shift,, the MXT does not....I got into some EMI the other day, and the freq shift did not help that much, but I dropped 3 bars from full sens and that helped.....I got into some EMI with my MXT pro and nothing helped, I had to use my E-Trac....
The freq shift will help with 2 AT pro's hunting side by side,,,done that,, F-2 on one and F-3 on the other, and no more cross talk....
I like the AT pro better,, if there is someone close by that has a AT pro, you might try theirs....
Both are good units,, but its what you like best and know best....
I don't have to worry about getting caught in a rain shower now, I had to send a unit in for repair one time because of a little rain drop.....
You have more coils made for the MXT, but all I have been using is the 5x8 dd coil, works great for the trashy areas that I hunt...
May be someone else will have more info. Like Keith....He told me about the AT pro before I bought one,,,and he was right on....
Bj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 12:17AM by BJ in Okla..
Joe
March 30, 2012 02:13AM
Thanks Bj & Rover

Bj, have you tried any side by side tests on deep signals? And, what do think about the quality and Garretts customer service?

Thanks
Joe
March 30, 2012 03:51AM
Joe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Bj & Rover
>
> Bj, have you tried any side by side tests on deep
> signals? And, what do think about the quality and
> Garretts customer service?
>
> Thanks
> Joe
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Joe,
I do not have the MXT pro anymore.....
I had to use the MXT's with the 5.3 coil,, for the trashy places that I hunt....I never found anything very deep.
I checked a target that a friend found with a Fisher 1265x and 8" coil, the 1265x was loud and clear,,nothing I did helped my MXT pro, it turned out to be a old wheat at 6" to 7" deep......There was no sound or numbers from the target. May have been a weak coil,,,I know I had a bad 4x6 dd coil..

I have checked targets with a friend,,, my AT pro and 5x8" dd coil vs his E-Trac and 11" dd coil,, and on a deep target, there would be no numbers but there would be a low high tone sound,, my friend would dig a 8" to 9" deep wheatie.....
So nothing side by side,,,but feel the AT pro seems deeper to me.....
This is in mild ground,,,around 5 on a CZ and 60 on a F-75, in the 50's on a MXT, and 80 on the AT pro.....
I think Garrett and Whites both have great service.
The quality on Garretts AT pro and Gold have improved, I think the AT pro is the best Garrett ever made....
Whites MXT pro is built like a tank, I have seen some beat up MXT's and they were still working...So MXT might have a edge...
I take good care of my units......
I sure dig less iron with my AT pro.....
I have other units,,,,Explorer SE pro, CZ 3d 1021 and a I D Edge,, I just keep grabing the AT pro....
The AT pro may have a faster responce than the MXT....
I hunt in Pro Zero mode and only use the iron audio when needed....I find that works better for me, than notching anything out,, lets the unit work....
If I remember right Keith used the MXT pro and 6x8 SEF coil for a while and now has the AT pro, and some others...
Hope this helps.
Bj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 04:00AM by BJ in Okla..
Joe
March 30, 2012 04:58AM
Thanks Bj, that helps a lot!

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 01:04PM by Joe.
March 30, 2012 12:44PM
Although the MXT is VERY quiet in iron infested sites.......... the AT Pro functions substantially better in the iron.......... presenting superior adjacent target separation characteristics over the MXT. If you hunt relics in carpets of nails....... the AT-Pro would be the better choice.
Joe
March 30, 2012 01:26PM
Thanks Tom, iron has definitely been an issue. Based on the responses I gotten here, I do believe I'll be changing over to the AT Pro.

Thanks All,
Joe
March 30, 2012 01:56PM
I have never owned a MXT, however I am really happy w my ATPro. From what I've experienced, it gets great depth. Last fall I found one of those men's tungsten rings in sand in the water at a little over 12", and it sounded good. Yes, I used the stock phones for a few months but later I got the headphone adapter for my regular phones. From all my tests between my Tiger Shark it does really good w small gold too.
Joe
March 30, 2012 03:39PM
Hi Aaron, thanks for the info. Would you say the AT Pro is as good as the Tiger Shark on small gold?

Joe
March 30, 2012 04:01PM
Joe,
Garrett has a lot of videos on there site,

[www.garrett.com]

I think there may be a special going on now, the AT pro with 2 coils.....
To me, the 5x8 is a must....
Good luck.
Bj
March 30, 2012 07:30PM
Joe,
I have a lot of small thin gold rings, foil range and even some broken peices of gold rings along w gold charms. I have tested all my machines with this gold and the only ones that pick it up is the the (except GBII) Tiger Shark and ATPro. I haven't though, since I haven't any, tried any gold chains w the ATPro, I have a feeling the Tiger Shark will win, though I'm not sure....
March 31, 2012 05:32PM
MXT is built better...But the AT-PRO is in my dirt a bit deeper and un-mask better....

I would get an AT-PRO and the extra 5x8 Blunt Tip DD and be very happy with the performance level when compared to a MXT...

The AT will even dig nice Iron relics/artifact's like the MXT when used properly ...

Keith
Joe
March 31, 2012 08:29PM
Thanks for the info Keith, that's good to hear. I'm definitely going to get the two coil package, all I need to do now is get my MXT Pro sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 08:47PM by Joe.
Joe
April 02, 2012 11:37PM
Joe Wrote:
> all I need to do now is to get my MXT Pro sold.

DOH! Last night my MXT Pro sold so first thing this morning I sent my ol' beloved MXT to Australia. Then, I started making calls to get my shiny new AT Pro and guess what, THERE ARE NONE! Yup, completely sold out and on back order everywhere. Best laid plans of mice and men...

Joe
April 03, 2012 04:16PM
Hate to hear that Joe...

You might want to look at a like new used unit there's quite a few around...and can be got for a great deal and I believe Garret honor's the warranty to a resale..If they dont I would buy new you need a warranty especially if you get around water...

I guess the this should of been anticipated...the Spring is hear and the water hunters have snatched them up ...I dont really know just a guess on my part ...But sounds likely...

You will find one and they are an awesome machine's especially at the price point...

Keith
Joe
April 03, 2012 05:01PM
Found one! Bart at Big Boys Hobbies came to my rescue (great guy to deal with). And, I want to thank Daniel TN for letting me know about another shop that had a couple.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 05:05PM by Joe.
Re: MXT Pro or AT Pro, Who's had both? remove pls.
June 04, 2017 02:36AM
therover61 Wrote:
> The one main reason the AT Pro will be a better be
> t is due to you wanting to get into the water to f
> ind the smaller gold the CZ21 may not be able to s
> niff out. Waterproof will always trump non-water p
> roof...when IN the water. The MXT is a really nic
> e unit, and if you think you could be careful and
> wade with it, then you have a nice small gold jewe
> lry hunter....but one slip and you have tears in y
> our eyes.

remove please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 02:44AM by pinpointer999.
June 04, 2017 03:32PM
You guys are good, Now that we got that one out of the way, what about the T2 or F75 ? What one would you all think would be the best for trash in parks, looking for coins and rings? I will get after the plowed fields a little later, what one dose good in mild ground. I don't have much trouble with EMI.
June 04, 2017 04:51PM
pinpointer999 Wrote:
> therover61 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The one main reason the AT Pro will be a better
> be
> > t is due to you wanting to get into the water to
> f
> > ind the smaller gold the CZ21 may not be able to
> s
> > niff out. Waterproof will always trump non-water
> p
> > roof...when IN the water. The MXT is a really n
> ic
> > e unit, and if you think you could be careful an
> d
> > wade with it, then you have a nice small gold je
> we
> > lry hunter....but one slip and you have tears in
> y
> > our eyes.
>
> remove please

You just posted the "remove". TheRover post back in 2012. I am confused?!?
June 04, 2017 08:46PM
Comparing one detector with a 6" coil to one with an 8" coil is an invalid judgement to make, The MXT will ID Iron better with a concentric Coil using about a third of the amount of Disc, Set up right both machine do equally as well as each other, It is with good reason that the MXT has out sold the At Pro over the years so as to which is better those figures speak for them selves, the only thing the At has going for it is that it is waterproof, The nose heavy design which does not lend it's self to using bigger coils as well as the MXT and there is a huge difference in Coil options for the two machines, Unless the machine is going to be used under water then the choices are loud and clear.
June 04, 2017 08:57PM
the mxt has outsold the atpro? I would like to see those figures..
June 04, 2017 09:22PM
bigboar Wrote:
> the mxt has outsold the atpro? I would like to see
> those figures..

Well if you took the figures only from the date that the AT pro was released then there is a vast difference, because it would not be fair to compare it from the many years before hand because the MXT came out around 2000, in the EU I have never seen an AT in the shops and I have never seen one being used, I only know of one person in Australia with one and most Aussie's import MXT's from either the US or the UK, Remembering that Australia has the worst Ground / Soil conditions in the world and that reflects on the machines they use / import and what lead to the birth of Minelab PI's.

For the use in water conditions then the AT is perfect but in harsh Ground they are less than Ideal.
June 05, 2017 04:54AM
Funny how a long dead thread apparently revived by mistake has gotten a new life.

Dealers would probably have the best guesses for total sales figures for these two detectors.