Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which is the best non TID detector and the best TID detector you've owned...

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which is the best non TID detector and the best TID detector you've owned...
April 04, 2012 12:23AM
The best non-metered detector has been the Troy Shadow X5. The 'best metered detector is a tie right now... ML Explorer and XP Deus. The edge goes to the DEUS due to the lighter weight, though.

Be nice, now.
my opinion only
April 04, 2012 01:29AM
The Minelab FBS machines have the best target Identification system I have ever used, BUT, I have not used them all!
Re: my opinion only
April 04, 2012 01:47AM
Hey Possum, are you in Missouri? Where at?

possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Minelab FBS machines have the best target
> Identification system I have ever used, BUT, I
> have not used them all!
Re: Which is the best non TID detector and the best TID detector you've owned...
April 04, 2012 01:51AM
Well, this may be a technicality.

My best non-metered machine has a meter on it ! It's my CZ6a....but the way I have it mounted and how it hunt with it, I NEVER look at the meter and go only by tone. Been doing that for the last 10 years since I mostly beach hunt with it now and dig all mid and high tones.

If I had to pick one that did not have a meter, it would be my Sov GT

Best metered unit goes to the E-Trac but I am liking my F75 SE more and more.

Dang this is a tough question !
wjs
Re: Which is the best non TID detector and the best TID detector you've owned...
April 04, 2012 02:15AM
Best TID Etrac for sure......Have not used many non metered machines. Tried a vaquero once that was not too bad.
April 04, 2012 02:24AM
Non metered -- Shadow X5 hands down.

Metered -- Found more relics with the F75 so as a relic hunter it would be #1. Found more coins with the eTrac so for old coins, it would be #1. Overall though, I give this to the F75...simply due to the sheer number of stuff I found with it.
April 04, 2012 10:25AM
Whites xl pro and the e-trac. for metered... I have not used many non metered as I like TID....The E-trac is unbeatable on the deeper targets as far as TID being accurate..
April 04, 2012 10:37AM
I'm a coin hunter and I've owned only the following metered machines in this order - T2, Omega, V3i and E-Trac. In my iron mineralized ground the Omega and E-Trac had the most stable VID and best depth. (The V3i in single frequency was deeper than 3 frequency though I didn't enjoy hunting with it in single.) The E-Trac's VID was more stable than the Omega. I dislike the E-Trac's weight, but as far as VID stability it is in another class. Now, if they could get it to weigh and be balanced like an Omega, oh my...
April 04, 2012 11:23AM
If we are talking ,best VID it is the Gold Bug new style .
Not the deepest but lock on ID
April 04, 2012 02:14PM
I realize the Explorer series goes deep and gives us a variety of ways to know the good from the bad and the X-5 and TeJon are great beep and dig units.

However lets not forget old technology of the XLT with numbers from -95 to #95 and superior programbility and dead on ID numbers and one of the few units that can actually tell you the difference of a pre 83 penny and a clad dime 9 out of 10 times and also the 1266 between the snap-crackle and pop when you learn what its telling you.

Awful tough question to answer when you used a lot of units over the years and all units have their plus and minus features and guess the secret is to learn your unit well and lots of good units out there both new and old and we all have our favorite or perhaps favorites....and honestly can't answer your question as too many variables to consider so pick the one of your choice
April 04, 2012 03:14PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> I realize the Explorer series goes deep and gives
> us a variety of ways to know the good from the bad
> and the X-5 and TeJon are great beep and dig
> units.
>
> However lets not forget old technology of the XLT
> with numbers from -95 to #95 and superior
> programbility and dead on ID numbers and one of
> the few units that can actually tell you the
> difference of a pre 83 penny and a clad dime 9 out
> of 10 times and also the 1266 between the
> snap-crackle and pop when you learn what its
> telling you.
>
> Awful tough question to answer when you used a lot
> of units over the years and all units have their
> plus and minus features and guess the secret is to
> learn your unit well and lots of good units out
> there both new and old and we all have our
> favorite or perhaps favorites....and honestly
> can't answer your question as too many variables
> to consider so pick the one of your choice

Good morning Dan.---Very interesting info.---I sent you a P.M.-----------Thanks, Del
April 04, 2012 03:25PM
As far as an I.D. Machine hands down the E-trac. And for me non metered The Nautilus IIba. I loved the dual tones on it and it has one of the best deep target tones in the business. I wish it was a little lighter though. I am still kicking around getting another one. Maybe since I have other detectors now my shoulder can handle swinging it once in a while with the 8'' coil. Another one I always wanted to try was a Wilson RC IV which are hard to come by as it is a collectable not many want to get rid of. And when you do see them they are pricey.
April 04, 2012 04:16PM
Harold the Wilson you mentioned is indeed a simple unit with a 7 inch coil that is real deep and actually handles saltwater shores well also. Caution they haven't made coils for them for years and they go and just about impossible to find one used...simple linear disc. and meter shows battery voltage, also no pinpoint and you have to X target and of course no depth or ID meter....Unfortunately the ones made after that were plasticky and not as deep and their names escape me. Had one for years and got some nice deep silver and gold with them. Certainly an oldie but goodie beep and dig unit and the coils on the new ones will not work on them. Indeed the Wilson Coin & Relic IV was one of the better beep and dig units of its time and although made in U.S. not many knew about them as mostly were sold overseas and believe for a while Kellyco sold them. Paul Wilson the founder either retired or passed on and honestly would not recommend the models made after the IV....but again just my opinion..
April 04, 2012 08:48PM
Dan as always you are a wealth of information and a credit to this forum! I think the newer Wilson unit's you are referring to are the Northstar and Coinselect as I agree they do look cheap and plasticly. I think Mr. Wilson is still alive and well in southbend,Indiana? I talked to him once over the phone a few years back. A real nice guy.
April 04, 2012 09:06PM
My Sov Xs with a 180 meter was really accurate as was my older Whites 6000Di back in the 80's..my garrett Gti1500 did a good ID job also. But I'm still partial to an analog meter, CZ, Tioltec II, etc or none at all like on a Tejon...BEEP PINPOINT, DIG! lol
Target ID on E-Trac is far superior to XP Deus.
Each has their uses - I would opt for E-Trac in a "trashy" environment and Deus in "clean" environment.
It's really a case of the right tool for the right job.
People need to buy the machine that works for them in their soil and hunting environment. Most avid detectorists probably need 3-4 machines:
Trashy dirt, clean dirt, DEEP cleanup and beach. My opinion.
Barry
Has onone ever used the Whites XL Pro
April 05, 2012 01:50PM
That probably is #1 as far as meter readings..jmho
April 05, 2012 11:29PM
The Omega is fastly surprising me with its ID capabilities. With its stock coil its terrible in my dirt. Put the 11" DD on it and it became a new creature. It ids way better than the T2 and actually surpasses my eTrac in depth now...and in ID. I buried a silver quarter at 8 inches a few weeks ago in my red soil. The eTrac doesn't even null over it...like it ain't even there with its stock coil. Even with open screen. The Omega with stock coil = same thing. Then with the 11" DD coil it actually hits it well...VERY well. All metal is best but it will get it in disc mode with particularly correct IDs....will read as iron then bounce between dime and quarter once out of every 3-4 sweeps. A silver dime at 6 inches = hits every pass as a dime on ID. 6" is the magic cut off point for most ID machines here. Very impressed with the Omega and bigger coil. Will be getting the 13" Detech coil for it...and I have a feeling it is going to turn it into a very deep ID machine. I'm so happy I'm selling the eTrac for sure.
April 06, 2012 12:17AM
The best non-metered detector I've ever owned must be the Tesoro Golden uMax. The tones and recovery speed of that detector has made it a joy to use.

I have not owned a TID detector I would recommend to anyone, but I have not yet owned a higher end TID detector (like the E-Trac, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 12:51AM by smudge.
April 06, 2012 12:43AM
Best TID....White's 6000Di Series 3....man, that meter was awesomely accurate. Being a hipmount I could really whip that coil....which was a big factor in its TID capabilities.

Daniel TN.....question....in your 'red' dirt, are you using GG or manual ground balancing? Or does it even make any difference with the 11" DD. I forgot to ask....what disc was the Omega at for the quarter test?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 01:00AM by TerraDigger.
April 06, 2012 03:43AM
Yes...those old metered Whites machines were great. My old 6000DiPro was and is the only machine I've had that could tell the difference between zinc and copper, Pennie and dime.
The ergonomics unfortunately were awful, but built like a tank.
April 06, 2012 03:56AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> The Omega is fastly surprising me with its ID
> capabilities. With its stock coil its terrible in
> my dirt. Put the 11" DD on it and it became a new
> creature. It ids way better than the T2 and
> actually surpasses my eTrac in depth now...and in
> ID. I buried a silver quarter at 8 inches a few
> weeks ago in my red soil. The eTrac doesn't even
> null over it...like it ain't even there with its
> stock coil. Even with open screen. The Omega with
> stock coil = same thing. Then with the 11" DD coil
> it actually hits it well...VERY well. All metal is
> best but it will get it in disc mode with
> particularly correct IDs....will read as iron then
> bounce between dime and quarter once out of every
> 3-4 sweeps. A silver dime at 6 inches = hits every
> pass as a dime on ID. 6" is the magic cut off
> point for most ID machines here. Very impressed
I was one 11 inch DD coil away from having the best Tennessee red dirt machine that I have yet to own. Except, possibly, for my AT Pro which nails 9inch silver dime that the T2 SE or F75SE couldn't touch except with a faint iron whisper. But I'm convinced that all the AT Pros's do not come off the assembly line this hot. Mine will airt test a dime at 12 inches without having to fan it fast with the stock coil.
> with the Omega and bigger coil. Will be getting
> the 13" Detech coil for it...and I have a feeling
> it is going to turn it into a very deep ID
> machine. I'm so happy I'm selling the eTrac for
> sure.
April 06, 2012 11:18AM
Non metered would be the Minelab Sovereign
Metered Shallow would be the Whites Eagle Spectrum The Spectragraph was very very accurate to a certain depth
Metered deep maybe the E Trac