Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What makes the Fisher F75 LTD so popular amonst pros thoughts?

Posted by Donny nj 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What makes the Fisher F75 LTD so popular amonst pros thoughts?
April 04, 2012 09:12PM
Im hearing a mixed bag of reviews from serious hunters......whats the truth?

also what about the T2 vs the F75 they look alike?.. Im an old school hunter but always willing to learn something new.

HH
Re: What makes the Fisher F75 LTD so popular amonst pros thoughts?
April 04, 2012 11:43PM
Donny,

I just got an F75 Se (same as the LTD) a few weeks ago. Being an avid CZ user since the 6a came out, I must say I like the F75 a lot. If you are primarily a coin and relic hunter as well as a wet sand beach hunter, the CZ and F75 in the stable have most all bases covered.

There are a lot of differences between the two, but the main advantages the F75 has over the CZ is the DD coil design ( if you like them) and the recovery speed. That thing is super in iron and can separate a lot better than the CZ. Great ergonomics too...you can swing it all day long. Some cons include the fact that it's prone to EMI is some spots, can be a bit 'chatty' compared to a CZ, won't run as well in wet salt sand as a CZ.

My personal opinion is if you got the means to get one, do so. It compliments the CZ very well. Trick is to start off slow with it. If you ramp it up at the start, you may not be able to get a handle on what it's telling you nor be able to hear the deeper solid hits among the pops and clicks and noise. Run in de mode, sensitivity around 75-80 to start, discrim at about 21 and single tone. Get a feel for the machine before you start to ramp it up.

Also...READ THE COMPILATIONS ABOUT THE UNIT ON THIS FORUM. Priceless info about the F75. I think a lot of guys when the first get it, want to run in boost mode with the sensitivity all the way thinking it's gonna pull out silver dimes at 16 inches or buckles at two feet. When all it does is make noise ( in their opinion ) and they don't find much, they think it's the unit. NOPE...they never started slow. Now obviously the F75 did not work for some guys due to the conditions they hunt in, but I think a lot of guys never put the time in to learn it.
April 05, 2012 12:24AM
You can count me as one of those guys. I freely admit that I didn't give the F75 LTD enough time. I cranked it up looking for the deep stuff and it turned into a noise making mess. I made my way through many models and have pretty much settled into the E Trac. But I think about the power of the F75 and I remember being shocked at what it could do. I also remember the weight of it being very nice.
April 05, 2012 12:52AM
Heres a tip I got from Tom.

Start with the 5" coil, for a number of reasons. In alot of cases the 5" can go just as deep as the 11" and deeper in trashy areas. You can run the sensetivity wide open on the 5" and with alot less noise, alot less ear fatique. You'll be able to get used to it faster, better separation and...as Tom says "having than little 5" on the 75SE is like putting a magnifying glass on the end of your detector, it sees EVERYTHING!"
April 05, 2012 01:59AM
I agree with the 5" recommendation. When I had the T2 (powerful like the F75/LTD)....I found out by trial & error that the 5" coil was the way to initially learn the machine. The large DD coil is too powerful to intially learn on IMHO. And yes, that little 5" coil goes deep. Its actually my favorite coil.
April 05, 2012 02:09AM
YES EXACTLY!
Also I think those of us that have used it w the 11" use way to much sensitivity, I think Tom told me that you can lower down to as far as 70% and still get 100% depth w it.
April 05, 2012 02:11AM
Donny.......... If you have the time.......... try reading the threads on this forum titled:

Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Prototype
COMPILATION #1
COMPILATION #2
May 13, 2012 02:53AM
Thanx everyone I learned alot from reading all the posts on teh F75 LTD.......now I gotta have one !!!
May 13, 2012 03:04AM
"I think Tom told me that you can lower down to as far as 70% and still get 100% depth w it. "

Tom, if above is correct, would this hold true for the Omega outfitted with the 11" DD coil?
May 13, 2012 03:07AM
If your going to get a new one, buy a validated one from Tom.
May 13, 2012 01:21PM
With the 11" DD coil on the F75 ........... you can lower Sens down to '60' ....... and nearly zero depth performance is lost. The only change you will notice is...... the audio becomes modulated. This holds true if the unit is in the ID mode ........ and Disc is '4' or lower. In this configuration...... you will want to be in multi-tone options.

Yes, I have one new validated/certified F75 SE...... and another new F75 SE that I have not validated (yet).
November 29, 2013 11:32PM
I have to admit and even though i have had the F75 ltd for 2 years now that i still have a bit to learn yet with this extremely capable instrument.

Only last sunday on a hunt on one of my very much detected fields i decided to use the jewellery JE setting with a disc of 4 and about 70 sensitivity and 2 tone.

The Emi conditions were good ,so no real problems their,but still ground ballanced avery 30 minutes or so just to keep things optimal.

The target responses tended to be in many cases only one way good high tones with the other side of the signal giving an iron response,I started to dig these and in many cases i was digging tiny small non ferrous items like broken copper studs and tiny bits of lead.

What annoyed me was that when i tried the default setting on these signals they more or less dissapeared and even with the boost setting they were not very good at all.I would not have retrieved these targets.
I did dig some lager ferrous items that were giving a high tone so was a little confused at this.

The Je Mode however was showing an almost perfect two way repeatable signal.
The larger non ferrous items ofcourse came in with good two way repeatable signals and these were retrieved and were various copper buttons, early scottish 17th century coins and the like- musket balls and all the usual uk stuff that lies under out fileds.

I also found a very nice Edward 1st of England Bristol mint silver long cross penny 1240 to 1304 approx.

I have had some fanatastic finds with the F75 Ltd, but i feel we are spoiled for choice with the various processes it offers and i hate going away from the field not knowing why i managed to get so mnay targets from a field that i have detected for over 4 years.
I find my self now leaving my Ctx 3030 at home and feel guilty for not using it, but the F75 is so nice to use and the 2 tone setting making the choice to dig very easy its a no brainer to be honest.
The coke aspect here in the uk is a pain at times but i feel know i have gotten over this to extent and i see why many changed over the T2 which a fair amount less succeptable to Coke than the F75.

After 25 years of detecting and using Fishers in my much earlier years and then Garretts, and whites, then Minelab after that, i now find my self realising that it is going to be very difficult indeed to tear my self away from what i feel is one of the best detectors out their in the market place in the F75 ltd and i simply love this machine and looks to be where i will stay for the forseeable future.
Will i sell my Ctx 3030 Probably not but who knows.Only time will tell.
November 30, 2013 12:36AM
It is a very good machine,just takes some folks more time to gell with it.
November 30, 2013 02:01PM
Donny being a friend for a long time take into consideration the EMI factor...Personally I would look for a newer one if you are going to make the jump as they seem to have limited the EMI issue. Surely not a quiet CZ but certainly a capable unit once you learn what its telling you. Myself and several friends tried early F series and T2 units and they certainly were noisy...seems like they improved the EMI aspect with newer models and many do well with them but
after an early F75-F70-T2 not about to try them again. Sort of been there done that but again look for a newer improved model or it will land on the classifieds.
November 30, 2013 02:13PM
Donny I sent you a PM.

Donny nj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im hearing a mixed bag of reviews from serious
> hunters......whats the truth?
>
>
> also what about the T2 vs the F75 they look
> alike?.. Im an old school hunter but always
> willing to learn something new.
>
> HH
November 30, 2013 03:37PM
This is an 18 month old thread, folks. Still an interesting topic, but....
December 08, 2013 12:48AM
Pimento Wrote:
> This is an 18 month old thread, folks. Still an
> interesting topic, but....

As a brand-new member and a brand-new owner of an F75, I am glad the thread was ressurected.
I have not had a detector for 20 years, but used to own Whites, Fishers and Garrets. My skills are rusty to say the least. I am a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the F75, but not afraid of it.
My biggest beef is the lack of detailed info in the manual. The three online videos help, but they gloss over a lot also.
I am still trying to find out what all the new-fangled acronyms you guys use mean.
November 16, 2015 08:43PM
I have been using the F75 Ltd2 since August/15, and it is like courting a very complex high maintenance female LOL

Fun, frustrating, exciting, addictive and absolutely facinating all at the same time. Im hooked.

The only things i wish it had is a better speaker, and an adjustable red backlit screen.

Headphones take care of pathetic speaker quality, and i can live with the backlit the way it is.

HH
November 17, 2015 12:49PM
Pimento Wrote:
> This is an 18 month old thread, folks. Still an
> interesting topic, but....

but what, Pimento? Old threads are resurrected here all the time, and you complain about this one?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
November 17, 2015 04:17PM
Let me explain.
Donny asked a question in April 2012.
Whigsvolt BUMPed the thread in late 2013.
Dan and MarkG didn't notice this delayed BUMP, and offered Donny advice, 18 months after he asked for it.

I was making them (and other potential posters) aware that, whilst their advice was no doubt informative, it was probably far too late.

So: Still an interesting topic, but... it's doubtful whether Donny is still looking for advice at present ( = Nov 2013), especially considering his second post in this thread was his last post on this Forum.

Not a complaint, just pointing out the BUMP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2015 05:08PM by Pimento.
May 10, 2016 05:23PM
Tom.
What's involved in "validation", availability, time, and cost estimates; are factory units not consistent in Fisher quality control department; and can machines be sent to you or your cohorts to be validated?
The jury is still out; the more I research, the more my lack of real-world experience is handicapping my decision making, but I might opt for the F75 for now. I have a feeling the gossans and high concentrations of magnetite here might prove difficult for a PI platform to interpret.
Thanks.
Tim
May 10, 2016 05:28PM
I'm having no success with searching specific thread titles. Anyone have tips on this?
Thank you.
May 10, 2016 05:48PM
bcgoldminer Wrote:
> I'm having no success with searching specific
> thread titles. Anyone have tips on this?
> Thank you.

This thread will help you maybe,,,starting on or about page13,,, info changes to F75DST unit,,,an upgraded unit that performs differently than original F75 with boost.

Also look up here a few post.
You will see poster,forum host NASA-Tom,,, giving this thread and a couple more for information on hopefully what you are asking.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
May 13, 2016 09:16PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> bcgoldminer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm having no success with searching specific
> > thread titles. Anyone have tips on this?
> > Thank you.
>
>
> This thread will help you maybe,,,starting on or
> about page13,,, info changes to F75DST unit,,,an
> upgraded unit that performs differently than
> original F75 with boost.
>
> Also look up here a few post.
> You will see poster,forum host NASA-Tom,,, giving
> this thread and a couple more for information on
> hopefully what you are asking.
>
> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
> .php?2,4402,4402#msg-4402

Thanks again Sharp.
The search is narrowing down - perhaps two machines: a GPX to mark tragets, and an F75 to follow and discriminate - I think...
May 13, 2016 09:29PM
bcgoldminer Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> -----
> > bcgoldminer Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm having no success with searching specific
> > > thread titles. Anyone have tips on this?
> > > Thank you.
> >
> >
> > This thread will help you maybe,,,starting on
> or
> > about page13,,, info changes to F75DST
> unit,,,an
> > upgraded unit that performs differently than
> > original F75 with boost.
> >
> > Also look up here a few post.
> > You will see poster,forum host NASA-Tom,,,
> giving
> > this thread and a couple more for information
> on
> > hopefully what you are asking.
> >
> >
> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
>
> > .php?2,4402,4402#msg-4402
>
>
> Thanks again Sharp.
> The search is narrowing down - perhaps two
> machines: a GPX to mark tragets, and an F75 to
> follow and discriminate - I think...

I can say this I think,,and most here will agree with me,,,,F75 series detectors not the best choice detector when soil mineral levels are above medium levels,,and above medium high levels definitely not the best choice.

In above medium high level mineral soil--- some good vlf detectrors to ponder,,IMO,, Xp Deus,,Xp Goldmaxx power,,Minelab CTX,,Blisstool V6,,, there may be others.

Bottom line,,,high mineral soil cripples all Vlf detectors ( some moreso than others),,,,and what nonferrous targets they do see,,,the deeper ones will yield iron ID with iron tone many times--- providing little good useable info to operator.

So if your area has higher than average minerals--- this " performance in mineral" charactistic should carry a lot of weight for you in your decisions should you decide to purchase in the future.

Now this is just my opinion,,,I don't have as much detecting time as some here do that frequent and post--- but I have seen this mineral affect on detector operation in my area and a few other areas outiside of where I generally detect.

Also if you are nugget hunting say using a GPX series detectors,,I've not done btw,,but it seems a lot of folks after the locate with GPX and dig,,,they check their dirt piles with detectors like Fisher Gold Bug,,or Makro Racer gold detectors-- both higher freq detectors that can alert on real small low conductors like nuggets.

Here is a link,,,note the forum name,,Old California,,,his real name is Paul.
If you will click on his forum name,,you will see where you can actually click and see all his posts,,,this gent has a lot of experience and does mostly hunt in high mineral dirt.

I encourage you to read some of his posts,,,he comments at times,,when cross checking detectors,,,which ones have the advantage many times over targets.

His post are a lot of times sensational too-- good reading for any metal detectorists.

Cheers.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

It seems trying to access this gents posts the way I recommended is not working,,,but you can still read his post,,,if you will scroll back through the pages on the actual forum, and note where he has posted.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 10:05PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 14, 2016 02:04AM
I've had a F75 LTD since 2009, upgraded to a LTD2 with a new motherboard, coil, housing (basically brand new machine) when they initially offered the upgrade package. I typically run my F75 in BP mode, 3H tones, disc @ 1-3, sensitivity from 60-99 depending on the site. I've put thousands of hours on my F75, and it's been a bit of a love/hate relationship.

The F75 is generally a great machine. It does, however, IMHO have one major flaw, it is easily masked by micro iron. It's also not super deep on dimes for some odd reason (as far as somewhat accurate TID goes about 6-7" is it), but quarters or larger it'll get very deep with good TID when possible as I've dug both very deep silver quarters and half dollars with it I've made a lot of great finds with it hunting at both old parks as well as old sites. I also picked up a Makro Racer when it was initially released (as well as the Racer 2 when it was released), and I'm continuously amazed by what the Racer's find that the F75 either calls iron, or cannot see at all. The F75 is a bit deeper, the unmasking abilities of the Racers is uncanny.

HH,
Brian