Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP-DEUS Gets me a 1857 Flying eagle today with video capture

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP-DEUS Gets me a 1857 Flying eagle today with video capture
April 10, 2012 02:04AM
I at first thought it was an Indian Head Fatty.....But after cleaning I saw the Eagle Flying...Only the third one I have ever dug... It's an 1857 ...Wish it was 56!!
Will let it soak for awhile to get the crud off...

Here's a pic

Here's a video of it I cut it down to right before the digging part...
[youtu.be]

I was using the GMP program with freq on 12 Khz,,,

read like 81 then dropped to upper 60's after opening hole...L

Little more info ....The Site is an old mill site close to the house ....The Union Army camped in here overnight in 1864...Documented site...General Schofield under Shermans command used it as a camp...

Site is hunted very hard for the last 40 year's....I also managed a Sash buckle and some sort of large brass Gun Hardware I presume..

Keith

I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 03:27AM by Keith Southern.
Re: XP-DEUS Gets me a 1857 Flying eagle today with video capture
April 10, 2012 02:15AM
Fantastic find Keith. I think Nasa Tom is kinda taken by your GMP. It has made some great test with it. Keep up the good finds and please share.

Tom in SC
April 10, 2012 02:31AM
Great find!!!!! I have dreams about finding one!! Congrats!
April 10, 2012 03:24AM
Thanks for the video Keith and congrats on the great find!

Is that just a regular military folding shovel?
April 10, 2012 04:38AM
Wow!!!
April 10, 2012 07:38AM
Hey Aaron Thanks...

Yes it's a WW II shovel...Entrenching tool.
dated 1944 Ames...

I have about 5 of them still brand new.....I bought 12 of them year's ago and when I wear one out I grab another off the shelf...You can still get them they just are alot higher now than years ago...probably like 25.00 bucks now for one...I bought mine for 8.00 a piece year's ago... ..I think lesche makes one in stainless now...Its a copy of the WW II model....but it's pricey

Stay away from the Vietnam era one's or the German one's...they have pick head on the back ...not worth a flip in the long haul...Dangerous too..

Keith
April 10, 2012 08:28AM
Great find Keith, congrats.---------Del
April 10, 2012 11:34AM
Yes, I happen to have one with the pick on it and I know what you mean...same reason I dont use it!
Thanks!
April 10, 2012 03:37PM
Congrat's Keith, funny I thought the same thing on1857 "white cent"(thanks Tom D. never heard that one before)that I found must be fat indian?You might try freezing after soaking on a little piece of tinfoil in freezer?I am no expert you probally have some better method's than that.Still my oldest coin find so far>hh
April 10, 2012 08:23PM
Thanks Roy for the Tip...

Yes nothing like a surprise at the end of the day!

Thinking you have a Fatty and it turns into a flying eagle....I like the little surprises ...Keeps it fun!

Congrats on your's also Sir...

Keith
April 10, 2012 09:49PM
Great find Kieth. Good thing you didn't just throw it into the bag of indian heads. Two flying eagles is all I've ever found....It's a thrill to find those.
April 10, 2012 10:47PM
Nice find! I do a lot of digging and have the Predator Tool version of the e-tool. I've had the same one about 6 years now and all I've done is sharpen the blade a few times and painted it. George did have a link where you could get replacement heads for them...but I've gotten away from using mine so much now. They have a short handle and I have a bad knee now, so I like longer handled shovels to keep from having to bend down so much.
April 10, 2012 11:10PM
Always fun watching your videos. Anyone ever tell you that you should sell things on the radio with that unique voice of yours? Well at least to a yank in PA it is unique. I got my Deus yesterday. I played around with it in my yard. I won't get to actually hunt with it until later in the week. Still doing my taxes and stuff.

Just some quick impressions:

That little coil is a heavy bugger. The balance is on the edge. I bet the larger coil makes it much worse.
It will take some time to like the headphones. I am so used to a full ear cover type.
The build quality is just great.
I will never remember target VDI numbers for the 4 frequencies. It is either carry a chart or just dig it.
I'm not sure that the Horseshoe is a very good depth meter.

Over all I am very excited about getting out there. Keep up the videos. I appreciate the effort very much.
April 11, 2012 12:51AM
"I'm not sure that the Horseshoe is a very good depth meter."

I have a Deus and also Se Pro, among others. The SePro manual says the depth meter is worth about 12 inches.
The Deus manual does not give a hint, but my limited exposure tells me the horseshoe is worth about 8.
Other opinions?
April 11, 2012 01:09AM
I found the Owner's manual of the Deus to be lacking in a couple of areas. Thank you for your estimate. I was thinking around that depth myself.
April 11, 2012 01:36AM
You're welcome. I should have responed to your other observations, but the depth thing jumped out at me.
I agree with all the others except the coil weight. I'm so taken with the overall weight I didn't even give
the coil a thought.. I would also like to share a video from Ged Dodd ( Peacehavens) with his Deus using
Pinpoint mode..Non-motion Audio Disc. I really like this guys manner, especially his laugh.

[www.youtube.com]
April 11, 2012 01:53AM
Nice job Keith . . . congrats.
Keep em comin.
April 12, 2012 02:31AM
Hey Goodmore ....No no one ever told me I need to sell things on the radio laugh out loud...

But glad you like them ...

Yes the coil is a little heavy...

Hope you make soem nice find's with it...

Keith