Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I like the Deus handle!!!! (revised) But I dislike the TID

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: I like the Deus handle!!!! (revised) But I dislike the TID
April 21, 2012 02:52PM
The recovery speed of these XP detectors is really something. Every time I take the Deus out for a hunt I learn something new and I just am amazed at the target seperation. I ran it with zero disc yesterday. Basically wide open. The tones were a little mind rattling at times, but the targets just started appearing.

11 Wheats the oldest a 1911
3 Indians
1 Buffalo
1 53 Dime
1 old rusted pocket knife

I spent two hrs with the Deus in low discrimination and two hrs with none. It was like kicking inthe 4 barrel when I dropped the discrimination all together. I never had 4 hrs fly by so fast. Most of the targets were picked right beside a chunk of iron.
April 21, 2012 08:42PM
Goodmore - Can you get the Deus in 4.6kHz to be as fast as the Gmax II (4.6kHz) is? Mentioned this with Pimento and the feeling is that the Deus will never be as fast at that frequency as the coil is made for all 4 frequencies, so not quite as "hot" or "tuned" in that regards. I am curious how good the Deus is in that low frequency. What frequency were you using btw and have you also tried the 4.6?

Thx
April 21, 2012 08:43PM
One of my homemade programs uses zero disc and three tones. I also have a two tone and zero disc program. It hits my 9.5 inch buried merc dime hard!!! I can even raise the coil off the ground and inch. By the way, I borrowed the settings that enabled me to use zero disc from other folks who posts their settings.
As a side note: on some targets, I get a bit cleaner signal if I pull the coil off the ground just until it's barely not touching. When I lower the coil and scrub the ground over those targets, I get more chirpiness and a bit more broken signal. This is not a complaint. Just enjoying learning the nuances of this machine and then sharing them to see if others have noticed. I am really loving my Deus more and more and lack of depth doesn't seem to be a problem for me, even in my soil.
I dug a 69 cal roundball yesterday that was at the very bottom of my Predator Raven shovel. In other words, I dug a plug using the entire length of the blade and laid it beside the hole and sweeped the coil over it. No signal. Swept the hole....signal. I whipped out my Propointer and Lesche knife and went about an inch deeper to get the all. I was impressed with THAT depth. Most of the bullets at that site arent that deep. It must have been plowed under since it was in a field. Anyway, I was using the zero disc two tone program and it sounded off good enough to stop me and make me dig. My confidence in the Deus's depth ability was sealed right then and there.
April 21, 2012 09:52PM
Stunning............ once again.
April 21, 2012 11:41PM
Aren't you glad you didn't sell it now smiling smiley I told ya to give it a little more time. Dig 'em up man.
April 22, 2012 12:28AM
I settled into the 12 Khz frequency. I played with all of them at one time or another. I also feel that the Deus performs better in the top two frquencies. It may be the sensitivity to smaller targets that catches my ear. But over all I think the Deus just responds better in the top two. I am not sure how the Deus responds compared to the other XP detector, but compared to itself it is slower and less lively in the lower frequency. But when I say slower it is still plenty fast.

In the 12 Khz frequency I dialed up the response to three. I was trying to hit a compromise with the depth. I have never needed the setting higher than three. And my one buddy took me to a miserable yard for iron. Did you ever hit one of those areas in a hunt where you think to yourself whatever is there is big? Then you come along with the Deus and very quickly figure out it is multiple targets spread out. That is the kind of day I had Yesterday. Iron, low conductor, iron, bam! coin. I know I have gone over some of these targets with the E Trac. Did the E Trac miss them? I am fairly new to that detector also. But I can tell you the Deus made these targets very obvious. I didn't pull the targets out of the iron. The iron handed them over.

There is a learning curve with the Deus. Everytime I go on a hunt I learn something new. Or maybe through reading the forums I will try something new. Yesterday was zero discrimination.
You give up a few things going to zero discrimination. Your first tone you lose because the tones or thresholds as the Europeans call it is tied to your discrimination setting. If you set a threshold of say to the VDI 8 you automatically just adjusted your discriminatin to 8. The way around this is to make the first two thresholds or tones the same frequency. You also lose the ability to set iron volume since that is also tied to the first threshold. So the detector becomes alot more noisy. I found out yesterday that putting up with the noise is worth it. And forgive me Fisher fans .... I still found it more comforting than the F75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 12:37AM by goodmore.
April 22, 2012 01:43AM
Goodmore, thanks for the reply and your last paragraph was my next question. After reading the manual a few times I was still a bit confused on how discrimination was tied to tones, was confused on the area you mentioned and you posted the "work around". I hope XP adds a few more tones and some other things in there to add some flexibility.

Thx,
Albert
April 22, 2012 09:13AM
Kev. the 'chirpiness' when scrubbing is probably due to it being a DD coil and not a Deus shortcoming.
April 22, 2012 09:24PM
Try it with just the different tones, if you have not already done so , then still check the numbers ,you will be surprised at what others miss by not digging low numbers , takes a while to get used to , be nice if some bright spark out there came up with a good on screen emulator......good luck ..Rallymaker
April 23, 2012 08:36AM
I would agree that the back phones are a little bit suspect , the replacements are £21 which is not the to expensive I would think that very shortly you will see a more robust version, there is a guy here in the uk that converts them to stronger phones , wireless head phones for there other models are much stronger, , I think as a separate they are around £174 new, not cheap , Xp seem to listen to there customers ,either that or they had to many complaints , because I bought the Xp Goldmax Power worked very well ,but its construction was not what I call strong and it was very hard to push around stubble .
What they had in the original Xp range were very light machines , I am glad to see that all there latest range come with the new Deus type handle and improved coil bolts , Its easy to get back to bloody great big head phones , I quite like the style of the back phones and I can put them back in the little case they came in makes transportation so easy.
We all ready have a straight stainless steel shaft assembly on sale for the Dues over here !! what's that all about!! , a backward step I believe , the lower stem will fit the Minelab Sovereign shaft so I am going to buy a new standard Deus coil for my old Sovereign set the head phones for the wife , and I will use the control box with small wired head phones, two detectors for the price of one , Brilliant.
April 23, 2012 09:26AM
I believe the 'Deus straight shaft' allows you to make a budget Deus, you buy the coil and control-box seperately, and fit them on the new shaft. Also good for those with two coils, it allows you to make two working machines.
April 23, 2012 10:02AM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the 'Deus straight shaft' allows you to
> make a budget Deus, you buy the coil and
> control-box seperately, and fit them on the new
> shaft. Also good for those with two coils, it
> allows you to make two working machines.

Every so often I see a used Deus stock coil. So, to build a unit would require either the backphones or control box and the rod. I never see those for sale used. You would also need a charging system.

Thanks for the idea Pimento. Looks like one could get a Deus at a decent savings if you really want to...
April 23, 2012 04:31PM
I think after you learn the Deus you choose one of your custom modes and make very few adjustments. The headphones could ddo the job easily.
April 24, 2012 10:19PM
Sounds like that handle fits like a glove!