Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a question on iron and difference o detectors?

Posted by John S 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a question on iron and difference o detectors?
February 28, 2009 03:30PM
Tom I put a washer down and quarter about 1" away and tried the = Se , f75, and the cz5 all have small coils. The SE nulls and will not get hit anything, the f75 E&W hits it sometime & N&S every time, the cz5 will hit it any way you swing it. Can you tell me if the E-track nulls like SE se , will it hit it?? thanks John S
Re: I have a question on iron and difference o detectors?
March 01, 2009 04:07PM
Etrac will also 'null'.

Interestingly (and hard to prove w/o O-scope) the CZ is reporting a high-tone iron false....but, yet, it sure sounds good, as the high tone is "fairly" sharp. The F75/F70/T2 are mostly correct with 'some' false bleedthru.
March 02, 2009 06:15AM
John and Tom I did this test with my Sovereign GT with the 8" Sunray coil this evening.My Sov. would hit the dime,not always a high tone but enough of one where I would slow down and investigate it.
My SE with the Pro coil would come of the washer and hit the quarter.Not always as 00 29 or 0030 but I would say about 30 % of the time a good enough hit to examine and recck the target.I'm positive I've missed coins with the SE because of nulling.
Maybe I better get a Fisher 1270 set the discrimination to zero and dig everything above iron.Maybe I'll just get my meds increased.Just kidding.
You guys I did this test outside,it was 15 degrees with about a 25 mph NW wind.
I must be nuts to try detecting in this weather.Bill
March 02, 2009 01:52PM
Tom tried today using the SE with a x5 coil 3 thinks, quarter and with the same size washer, quarter and with half size of the quarter, a large nail about 5" long. The Se will hit the quarter with the nail and the small washer , but looks like any size iron that is as big or bigger it nulls and I noise cancel and tried in program and iron mask of 14.
March 03, 2009 11:17AM
I remember many years ago while hunting with a Minelab Exp, I was capable of using a iron Disc setting as low as -13 in one particular area where the iron targets were so badly deteriorated. In fact, there was one small spot where the iron targets were nearly completely disintegrated and I dropped the Disc setting on the Minelab to -14. At that time, the unmasking capabilities were tremendous with these settings...... and were better than any other detector on the market. Normally, for most areas I would hunt, the lowest I could drop the iron Disc was to a setting of -11.......which was common for your somewhat rusty (solid mass) nails. Having the ability to discretely adjust iron Disc to a hair-splitting setting is critical to unmasking capabilities whilst relic hunting...... since these areas are commonly littered with carpets of nails. Even more importantly, is knowing the specific area that you intend to hunt...... at exactly WHAT level has the iron disintegrated ...... and WHAT hair-splitting iron Disc setting will "just barely" Disc out that specific level of disintegrated iron targets. Any audio 'burp' above that setting....... even if it still ID's in the (higher end) of the iron range..... is HIGHLY suspect.....and may have a non-ferrous target in co-locate; subsequently causing the detector to report a signal slightly higher in conductivity than the carpet of nails. To set the iron Disc setting to Disc out small disintegrated nails, medium size and large iron objects would completely defeat the purpose (and abilities) to unmask non-ferrous targets in areas that most probably have been hunted before.
USE DISC WISELY!

Tom
Jeb
March 04, 2009 12:50PM
a round washer is quite a hard Target to knock out . Mainly because of its Shape especialy a rusty one. I would imagine most detectors "See" round shapes as coins and kick and scream to try to identify them as a good target.
try a nail or bolt and come in on all quarter points of the compass and try the reading then.
March 07, 2009 03:53PM
Washers also usually have a different alloy....... more 'nickel' and other composites.
Tom what are your thougts on using a moderate iron disc setting
March 09, 2009 09:34AM
on the Explorers such as -11 and then adjusting the sensitivity lower when needed to counter act excessive nulling? Would this help in severe co-locate recovery?

Tom Z
Re: Tom what are your thougts on using a moderate iron disc setting
March 09, 2009 11:09AM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on the Explorers such as -11 and then adjusting
> the sensitivity lower when needed to counter act
> excessive nulling? Would this help in severe
> co-locate recovery?
>
> Tom Z Tom I don't know? I have tried a lot of difference setting . I used the sunray x5 coil all the time and so faw if the sen. is to hi it nulls and to low you will loose depth. What I see so far is working good is sen. 26 auto, iron mask of 25. Because I hunt in heavy trash most of the time. What I do is hunt it in my coin program and then come back over it it iron mask.
March 09, 2009 01:02PM
NASA-Tom,

I'm really hoping not to stir up the pot... but I'll ask anyway as I value your opinion above most others...

What are your thoughts of the Minelab E-trac?
March 09, 2009 01:17PM
SOMETIMES,,,,, the Explorer has a 'slight' tendency to perform better with a lower Sens in nail infested sites. BUT.... there are many targets that are at threshold-of-detection...... and may no longer be detected with a lower Sens. setting. Where you gain in one area..... you may lose in another area. When I hunt nail infested sites (which, in general, are the OLDEST of sites) I NEVER use the CZ, Explorer, MXT or any other detector. I'll use only the F75..... until newer technology can trump the F75. I'm almost at the point where I will NOT hunt a area .... unless it IS a nail infested site. Recently, I have come to realize; Of all the years of my hunting..... it has been the nail infested sites that have produced the oldest..... and in huge volume (approx 20-fold... with only the F75)...... best finds of all the previous combined years of my lifes experiences of detecting. Logic dictates that this is where the most human activity took place.... in/at/near structures. If only to detune a detector to ferromagnetic targets!
March 09, 2009 02:30PM
Where it is a lot of nails like around old homes. I'll hunt it with th SE and come back over it with the f75. And then if I find silver I'll go over it a few time more, just to try to get it all. But we all now you can't get it all.
March 11, 2009 07:47PM
So far my E trac has not pulled any coins from worked out cellar holes near the lip. It has pulled some low conductive targets and some smaller shallow targets there. It nulls as expected around the iron nail sections of the hole. I used the stock 11" coil and mostly the 4.5 x 7" excelerator coil. Tried a clear screen and a partial ferrous 27-35 disc'd screen. It's a great machine for depth in the fields, but when the iron is heavy, it doesn't work for me. Some people swear by it in iron situations, but for me it's just OK. It does find coins in high trash non ferrous areas quite well. So in a park, playground or school, it does great. Just my thoughts on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 07:47PM by coinnut.
March 12, 2009 11:47AM
Will I don't have a e-track but have the SE and use the x5 coil. And in the last few day I have been working with it where iron and hi trash is . The ID is slow but tones are fast and people have told me I have to go slow and there are right and I mean very slow . All detectors work better when is wet then dry, hear it is very dry now. So I think in dry ground and trash you have to go slower then when the ground is damp. I did good yesterday ,I got 11.27 clad in dry tashy ground.