Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teknetics Omega

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Teknetics Omega
March 01, 2009 04:24PM
I have been busy testing/evaluating the new Omega. Mid-priced, mid-line unit. Very solid and stable. K.I.S.S. Uses one battery instead of 4. I like this better, as I have had one battery in a 4-pack go bad.... and (usually) throw away the entire set....(not very cost-effective). Omega will detect a clad dime at 10.25" max in Florida soil. Fast microprocessor. Unit is very similar/virtually identical in depth capabilities and performance characteristics to F5 (and quite similar to F70). The Omega is more so a digital touch pad vs. the F5's analog dials. Feature set is also very similar with a couple of minor tools/differences. The coil is the elliptical 9.75" non-DD as found on the F5 & F70. With a 9.75" elliptical coil installed on the F75, it too will ascertain the same max 10.25" depth on a clad dime. Good bang-for-the-buck; yet, I cannot revert backwards away from the elliptical DD coil extreme adjacent target separation characteristics of the F75. Yes, I've become DD biased.
Re: Teknetics Omega Dave Johnson
March 01, 2009 05:47PM
From what I have read and I have the F5 as a loaner for my friends and a throw in my SUV and leave it and my truf and school hunter...the new coils will be a 11DD and a 5 inch DD and they will work on the Omega and the F5. A DD will make the F5 a way better relic hunter and if they do it right it may get the same depth as the stock coil.

Yes I think Fisher is the leader of the Pack and it is about time a company stepped up to the batting cage and if we get a new top of the line machine and maybe with some input from this forum and NASA-Tom's input we may have the next generation machine and who knows what we can expecet. I think the programers and designers at Fisher must have a green light and the money to move forward and seal Fishers status for a long time to come. I have seen on other forums where they have slamed Dave Johnson and Fisher but here is something I found from Dave.

Since the Teknetics Omega is in the process of being released to production, there will be a lot of curiosity about it. Most of the questions will relate to features and performance in the field. There's no need for me to go into those matters, since other people will quickly fill in the details. What follows here is a bit of information which is probably better coming direct from engineering department.

Once the Omega gets into people's hands, it'll become obvious that there is some sort of relationship between the Tek Omega, and several earlier Fisher and Bounty Hunter products. Here's what that relationship is.

The Omega circuitry and software are a major revision of the Fisher F5, which although it was a bit slow to "catch on", is now getting good reviews. The basic software concepts of the F5 in turn, were derived from the F70, but not the code itself because the machines use completely different microprocessors. I was responsible for many of the software concepts in all these products, but John Gardiner wrote the code for the F70 and Jorge Anton Saad wrote the code for the F5 and the Omega. The F70 circuit platform is related to the F75 and Tek T2, which despite their differences all run at 13 kHz. The F5 and the new Tek Titanium series of which the Omega is a member, are a different family of circuits, all running at 7.8 kHz. The Bounty Hunter Platinum and Gold were an earlier version of this basic circuit platform.

The mechanical design of the Omega is a revision of the Bounty Hunter Platinum.

The Omega and F5 have their own unique user interfaces and different features, but both are simple and easy to use. The two machines are fairly similar in performance and in operating characteristics.

Since we came out with the Tek T2 several years ago, we've learned a lot about how to do tricky stuff in software but to keep the tricks hidden from the user so as to create less puzzlement on the part of the user. Old-timers will like the predictable analog feel of the Omega, even though what's actually happening inside the machine is very different stuff from what went on in the older analog metal detector designs.
The basic performance and "feel" of the Omega is rather similar to that of the Delta and Gamma, about which there has been information posted on forums for several weeks. The differences are in mechanical construction and features.

HEADPHONE JACKS AND SEARCHCOIL CONNECTORS

The earlier Delta and Gamma were released with a non-locking DIN connector the same as the F5, and with an 1/8 inch headphone jack. With the release of the Omega, we are improving the Delta and Gamma design by changing it to have the T2-type searchcoil connector and both 1/4" and 1/8" headphone jacks which were developed for the Omega.

SEARCHCOILS

At the moment there are two searchcoils available for the Omega: the 10 inch elliptical concentric (standard), and the 8 inch round concentric (standard on the Delta and Gamma). A 5 inch DD coil and an 11 inch DD coil are under development with release expected early spring this year. When these additional coils are released, they will also be offered in a DIN connector version to work with the F5 and the earlier Deltas and Gammas.

PERFORMANCE

The Omega air tests on coins past 10 inches (25 cm)-- not as hot as the more expensive Tek T2 and F75/F70 type machines, but close. Because of the difference in operating frequency, those 13 kHz machines will have a distinct edge on lower conductivity targets.

When it comes to target separation, the Omega is in the same league as the Tek T2 and the Fisher F75/F70 and F5. These are machines which have already earned a reputation for superb target separation.

How a machine performs "in the ground" on a particular target entails many variables, not the least of which is the operator knowing how to use the machine. So I will not say that the Omega will do this or that in the ground better or worse than some other specific machine. Suffice it to say that "in the ground" on coin-sized objects, it's in the same league as the T2 and its successors. The 13 kHz platform machines will tend to have an overall edge on smaller targets.

SO WHAT DO I LIKE ABOUT THE OMEGA?

Straightforward simplicity, excellent performance, sense of direct connection between what's in the ground and what you hear, and the completeness and refinement of the overall machine.

--Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP & Fisher

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 05:00AM by Lawrenzo.
March 02, 2009 12:19PM
Simply due to the nature of the F5's operating frequency (vs. the F75), I think the F75 will still take the lead as 'best' relic hunter...... especially on the lower conductive relics.

Thanks for the Dave Johnson post. Yes, Dave takes a lot of 'heat'. When you are on the top of the heap, in the spotlight; subsequently, there will always be greater volumes of eyes (especially from competitors and 'other brand' users) "scrutinizing" your every move..... and will be more 'vocal' and 'critical-eye' about it.
March 03, 2009 05:03AM
Yes Tom no way the F5 walks the same walk as the F75/F70 as far as relic hunitng but it is a great detector for the price and can hunt with the big boys maybe a few steps behind but pack but it can keep you in the game if you are not in too much iron.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!