Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

IMPRESSIVE DEUS DEPTH

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
IMPRESSIVE DEUS DEPTH
May 05, 2012 06:34PM
[www.findmall.com]

OPPS!
I meant to say my depth with the DEUS is even better than the ETRAC.

THANKS!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 07:06PM by Aaron.
Re: IMPRESSIVE DEUS DEPTH
May 05, 2012 06:44PM
Hey Aaron...

man i love that big bell!!

Looks awesome...

I never have found a big brass bell....planty of iron cow bells but no Big brass one's they are sort of rare...

That piece with the iron rod through it is a parasol top...it set right in the top of the umbrella and the slot's are where the wooden rods went in for the folding purpose..

Parasol's were very common by both men and women in the victorian era.....I find them alot in Civil War site's. so soldiers especially officer's would also carry parasol's...They were quite cosmopolitan for they're day every gent and lady would have one as an accessory item..

Very solid 1850-1860 piece
May 05, 2012 06:46PM
Aaron.............. keep that star-shaped piece next to the wheat penny. I need KEITH SOUTHERN to identify it! ..... as I have found 7 of them myself. But...... ONLY found them in Ft. Meade, FL at a pre-Civil War site.
May 05, 2012 07:09PM
Hey Keith,

I had to read your post a couple of times, I think Tom and I misunderstood. Your referring to the piece next to the pennie that is from 1850-60, not the bell. Thats what Toms been finding at Ft. Meade, parousol tops. Very interesting, you continue to amaze me.
So how old do you estimate the bell to be?

Thank you,

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 07:21PM by Aaron.
May 06, 2012 01:20AM
Hey Aaron yes the piece next to the penny is an parasol/umbrella top...women used parasols and men had umbrellas...Same part for both...

they weare fancy for women to use to keep the sun off them...I belive gone with the wind shows Scarlett with one quite a few times...Women did not want to be tan,,,If you were tan it meant you were of the working class ,,,working the fields ....

Men kept umbrellas encase women were around and it started raining...you better be ready to cover them up....As many that are found in camps and from pic's I have seen guys used them here in the southern states to keep sun off them in camp's...

Not sure on the bell date? I saw one like that dug with a date on it one time that had a masonic lodge number...and it was like 1902..

But I cant say for sure...Still a neat find..

Here's the Lincoln Conspirator's being ready for hanging...Note the Parasol's/Umbrellas....1865

O yeah that's Mary Surratt in the Pic on the left being ready for hanging....Dont get me started on that...Man it Burns Me up ......

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 02:26AM by Keith Southern.
May 06, 2012 02:11AM
I'm not a relic hunter (yet) but that is some amazing looking stuff.
Wish I was in a area such as that.
That Bell is family heirloom stuff there Aaron.
Way to go Mr. MD Extraordinaire.
May 06, 2012 02:20AM
I have found several of those parasol gadgets, a couple of which was dug from Civil War campsites. I always wondered what they were.
May 06, 2012 02:41AM
I havent seen that picture before Keith, the resolution in the early photography was amazing back then.
Thanks again!
May 06, 2012 01:09PM
I have recovered a half dozen or so similar bells from about 1'' dia at the bottom to about 2 1/2" dia. None have any marking other than decorative grooves. From my research they are probably Hame bells that were attached to a metal frame over the horses head fastened to the harness on two sides. I have not found a way to date the bells but have read the were used from about 1820's to about 1900. I have found them in sites that I date to the early 1800's here in upstate NY.

Dalpal
Hey Aaron I have done a little research on your bell
May 06, 2012 05:53PM
and that smaller size combined with the iron hook on top seems to be cow bell's...Thats what threw me off when I saw your's...the top was not cast into the bell...i.e. all one piece...

the late 1800's cow bells were made lke this..2 piece...not sure why ?????but the wide slit on the top was to accomodate a leather strap i.e. cow collar...

so it's an animal bell.... not a school bell or dinner bell...

very neat find ..Down here the cow bells I have found have always been iron blacksmith made....

I will show you a pic of a typical Southern Cow Bell...LOL!!!

They are very unique but all iron ..I dug this one a few years back.....Note the wide strap slot on mine..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 10:30PM by Keith Southern.