Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey conortn have you ever looked at this site?And here's some Sanborns for Elizabethton TN..

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
[tnmap.tn.gov]

Might help for research?

And heres the 1902 Elizabethton Tennessee Sanborn map's 5 in all

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 04:45AM by Keith Southern.
Keith,

Your a good mansmiling smiley I spent 2 hours online today trying to get Connortn this map. No success.
Fellows, my hat is off to both of you. I was beginning to think that these type of maps were figments of peoples imagination :-) I did read somewhere that the company that owns these maps asks $5000 per year for libraries to access them, which leaves out most libraries in small towns. Don't know if that's true, but if it is that would explain why very few places have them.

Keith, the resolution of the maps you have in Image Shack are a bit low. Do I need to sign up to them to get the better resolutions or is the quality of the copies as good as it gets? If there is a way to get better images, let me know. I had no ideal of some of these structures ever existed in Elizabethton and I was born and raised here since '50. I have saw a lot of "urban removal" take place here destorying many of the old structures I grew up knowing. That was back in late 60's and early 70's. They called it "urban renewal", but the name I gave would suit the event better.

The link was great also. I had heard of "Carter's Raid" most of my life. It happened about 7-8 miles from where I live and grew up but never had been there. You would never know about it without someone taking you there and pointing it out. I think North East Tennessee was sympathetic to the North but caught $&^%$& from both sides being in the middle geographically. My grandmother use to tell me of stories from her grandfather about "rebels" traveling thru this area and burning barns and stealing what they could. They may have not been patriotic to either side but just criminal minded men using the cover of the war to do as they pleased.

Thanks again guys, TerraDigger for the time he spent looking for me, and Keith Southern for finding some maps for me.

C.
You are most welcome Connor!!!

LOL!! All I did was type in "Sanborn maps Elizabethton Tenneessee" into google image search....It's the first result..

[reevesmaps.com]

He sells them on paper

this Guy sells a set on CD pretty cheap high resolution from what I understand..

[www.oldusmaps.com]

the resolution is really no higher on imageshack ...but you can download them and blow them up and still read what need to be read...

when you look at a house on the map the structures in the back corner of the lot's with a X on them are the out house location USUALLY...

have fun..

Keith
Well, I don't know what I was doing wrong. You must have some gee-whizz search engine :-) I've contacted oldusmaps and will see what they have for me. It would be nice if there were such maps for county's as well as cities. There were many old school houses in Carter Co. back in the olden days and it would be nice to locate them. Fairgrounds and yearly carnavals along with baseball fields would be nice to find on old maps. I have begun to think that if you want to find much silver and old coins anymore, you will have to do a lot of research for these type of places that are not found anymore and hope you get to them before others do.

Thanks again...

C.
Keith,

Image search......duuuhhhh. Guess what search parameter I will be using next time I am looking for a Sanborn map. Thanks.
Ha! You're right TerraDigger. "Image" search. Missed that. Tried it and sure enough, there they were. ...and some really strange stuff on down the list :-)

Received an email back from "Oldusmaps". Looks like they run 2 bucks per map via email and each map covers about 5 blocks. He will ship them on CD for 5 dollars extra.