Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dave J. Post

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dave J. Post
May 14, 2012 06:49PM
Saw this on another forum. Hope its ok to post here.

The 3D is virtually the same thing as the 5, except there's a minor difference in how the nonferrous categories are scaled. Someone else here can probably explain it better than I can.

I left Fisher in '95 because I could see it was headed downhill with no plan to fix it. When I returned to take a look at the place before we bought it in (as I recall) 2007 I was shocked at what I saw, both physically and the accounting data. I told the boss we shouldn't take it even if it was free, but he thought some aspects of it were salvageable and in the long run he was proven right.

Among the things we didn't know at the time, was that after I left they'd decided the CZ calibration procedure was too time-consuming, so they developed a shortcut method that could sorta fake it as long as you didn't actually test the unit afterwards. When we brought manufacturing to El Paso, we didn't know they'd abandoned the correct procedure and therefore the new people received the wrong training. It took us a while to discover what had happened. I dredged the original procedure out of the files and we went back to that with some very minor changes.

What most people don't know is that the "old Fisher" had been shipping them improperly calibrated for years, as best I can figure probably close to a decade. It was the "old Fisher" that created a nice little side business for Dankowski, who was deeply enough involved in the CZ3D revision to figure out how CZ's should be calibrated.

There were numerous other things that happened at the "old Fisher", involving CZ's and other products, which we inherited and took some time to discover. The "shortcut" CZ calibration procedure was just one example.

When people post that the "old Fisher" was this great company that did everything right, and then First Texas bought it and screwed everything up, they simply don't know what they're talking about. The "old Fisher" was losing a million dollars a year on $7 mil revenue-- and their sales were falling off a cliff because dealers didn't want the product any more. That's what the "old Fisher" had become.

Fortunately there were several products worth saving, and several people who were "keepers".

--Dave J.
Re: Dave J. Post
May 14, 2012 07:40PM
The "new" FISHER should go back to the "old" FISHER way of shipping/calibrating and maybe theyll sell a few more 3D's.

Toms "side business"....that's funny.

You know its "o.k." to let us know where you found this post.
Theres no secrets here, also we would be able to validate the source.
May 14, 2012 07:52PM
May 14, 2012 08:19PM
Interesting post.
May 15, 2012 02:56PM
((( It was a 'side business' that should have never happened...... and one that I did not want ))).

Beach....... never a problem for you posting this here. It's all about sharing.
May 15, 2012 03:02PM
Tom, I appreciate that side business, I have a sweet, accurate, CZ3D because of it, I'm glad you stepped up to the plate. Thanks for posting the complete link, NEBeachcomber.
May 15, 2012 03:18PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ((( It was a 'side business' that should have
> never happened...... and one that I did not want
> ))).
>
> Beach....... never a problem for you posting this
> here. It's all about sharing.

Tom, what kind of "expertise" is needed to tune a CZ machine? Is it reasonable to Youtube a "How to Tune a CZ Series" for those with some (how much) understanding and at their own risk? Then you might have some of your time back there (except for those tunings gone bad ;-)
May 15, 2012 03:37PM
Albert,

Because this unit is still 'in production' ....... I'm quite certain it is still under non-disclosure guidelines.

Also....... the CZ is a nightmare to align.
May 15, 2012 08:19PM
I have had 10 F.T. machines and 8 of them had problem's...

So not really sure they have gotten any better ?

Still think they're employees think they are putting together Bounty hunter detector's..

Great technology but poor quality control...

A inspector tag on each machine would help a lot to weed out the problems on the assembly line's..

Keith
May 16, 2012 01:59AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had 10 F.T. machines and 8 of them had
> problem's...
>
> So not really sure they have gotten any better ?
>
> Still think they're employees think they are
> putting together Bounty hunter detector's..
>
> Great technology but poor quality control...
>
> A inspector tag on each machine would help a lot
> to weed out the problems on the assembly line's..
>
> Keith

.........and i have had 5 BOUNTYHUNTERS with no problem!!!! but i guess those do not count as real detectors right kieth? and the employees are to stupid to realize what they are working on at any given moment, winding up the rubber band inside the bountyhunter is not as hard.

i remember all the jokes and hate filled posts that were made by ignorant jerks when first texas took over fisher! they have all been proven wrong and to be morons
ad probably own two or three of the new non-working toy fisher and first texas metal detectors that they swore they would never buy!!!!!!!!

minelab had much worse of a transistion period, thats for sure! many non-working detectors sent out and back for repair multiple times with two or three month wait times.

i now own two bountyhunters a teknetics, two old fishers and one minelab. old fisher did have problems this i have heard more than once!!!!! tom does have a side buisiness calibrating cz machines and there was no insult there!
as for the rest of the "explanation" im just glad it was finally publicly addressed and hopefully the problem is now fixed.
chuck.
May 16, 2012 02:29AM
Hey Seeker...

Not bashing bounty hunter's but the truth be told the ones at wal-mart are the ones put together on an assembly line..just like the 1,000.00 dollar one's..

Most people buy the 89.00 dollars bounty hunter and use them awhile and dont know if they work right or not...then toss them in yard. sell..

Not sure why you take offense to the statement ...I did not say anything personal...

But when I spend 1,000.00 dolars a machine I wish it would work right....

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 02:30AM by Keith Southern.
May 16, 2012 03:27AM
Chill Seeker,dont know why you would jump down Keiths throat.
May 16, 2012 03:34AM
Yeah c'mon Chuck, relax bro., Keiths one of the good guys.
May 16, 2012 04:17AM
tired of the cheap toy, plastic junk, incompetent workers, south of the border b.s.!!!!! thats all over the forums. ive been detecting for 7 years and started out with a bountyhunter. all the negative remarks regarding f.t. taking over fisher blew me away and its still very common.

"Still think they're employees think they are putting together Bounty hunter detector's.."......................thats a very negative statement, right?

sorry guys, and kieth. no its not personal.
May 16, 2012 05:29AM
Hey Seeker

No problem's..

I often type very quickly and usually just between coming and going in and out the door..

Lord Know's I make alot of typos doing it like that...but I dont have alot of time...12 hour work shift's, 2 kids, wife, detecting, Etc Etc...Well you know..

So my earlier post about FT was a 30 second write..

I never intend to make fun of another mans detector...after all if you like it thats all that matter's in my book..And I can tell you have a passion for detecting just by your response..
and there's no problem in that..LOL!!I like people with a passion for thing's they care about...

I dont know if they hire people South of the Boarder? but if they do from the ones I have known from that area they are probably very hard worker's..

I also had a Bounty Hunter back in the 80's a Red Baron and man what a sweet machine that was...

But again..I did not mean any offense to anyone ..Surely not a hard working person in a factory assembly line..They probably have alot more sense than I do..

It's just if I spend 1,000.00 dollars I want it right ....that's my point..

I find fault's with lot's of machines but I base how far I will go on Price of the machine...I can put up with alot of flaws at 300.00 but above that I start getting
picky LOL...

I work very hard for my money and take great pride in my work ethic...and I want it spent on product's that reflect like attitude when a high price dictates such.

Sorry if I rubbed you wrong...Never my intent to bother anyone..

Keith
May 16, 2012 08:27AM
Keith if you want to stroll down memory lane , There is a Red Baron for sale on Finds
May 16, 2012 09:17AM
Man...as I recall you have to really swing that Red Baron because the faster it's swung the deeper it gos.

I've had 2 bad machines from FTP. The Cz3d was resolved however the Camo LTD wasn't, it was sent back to FTP because it never stopped the chattering and noise, almost as bad as my ex wife. I ended up selling that thing at a loss, just to be rid if it. I promised myself I'd never buy another FTP machine. I did however see the potential in that machine and wished it really had worked out. I ended buying a validated one off of Tom and it works worlds better, and found some of best stuff with it in the past year.
May 16, 2012 11:40AM
Yeah,its pretty sad when you have to buy from a third party to ensure a properly working unit. I also find it amusing when guys defend their detectors like it was their gal,lol.
May 16, 2012 01:15PM
i know first texas and fisher had some issues for a while there! i would say up to three years after the takeover? comparing them to minelab i would say f.t. handeled it better and provided much better service.
im not exactly defending my detector but when people say they will never buy a fisher because it was taken over by "bountyhunter" you have to admit thats wrong. the last year or two at fisher was not good and i think tom even said that old fishers last run of cz3ds was sub par? dave j and others, the new fisher, and first texas are responsible for some great machines....t2, f75, f5, g2, omega, etc: and since they are lightwieght people call that flimsy plastic junk and they are not!

anyway........i hope some can see where im coming from/ understand my point.
chuck.
May 17, 2012 04:44AM
Understand ya,just dont get being so pissed about it. But thats just me.