Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Inquiring minds would like to know..

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Inquiring minds would like to know..
May 16, 2012 01:23PM
Having used the XS-11-SE-SE pro of the Explorer series but never the E-trac one wonders...

It seems like the E-trac is a different animal and some prefer the older Explorer series models. Fill me in as E-tracs are hitting the classifieds and is the reason its inferior-different than previous Explorer models or are owners just upgrading to the newest Minelab edition. I know many forum members have used both so feel I will get some good info and thanks ahead of time....Dan
Re: Inquiring minds would like to know..
May 16, 2012 01:31PM
Two trains of thought.

E Trac users always want the top end detector.

E Trac Users are broke from buying one.
May 16, 2012 01:47PM
I know of several folks selling their E-Tracs and or E-Trac packages to help fund the new Minelab CTX 3030. I have to admit I was tempted to do the same but decided to wait a bit till I can get some hands on with the new machine to see if it offers enough improved in field performance over my E-Trac to justify such a move....
May 16, 2012 01:59PM
Etrac offers more information than the Explorer and the Quick Mask feature greatly helps in not digging as much deep nail/iron.
May 16, 2012 02:06PM
Smart move silverhound. There is going to be advantages it seems but no depth so ill wait. Still think in the salt water there could be leaking issues. Im not certain its designed to replace the Xcal. I am confused as to why they havent just swithched the Xcal over to FBS.... unless there is an advantage that BBS has out there. I think people loved the ET especially the new guys. But i also believe everyone is looking for NEW tech.... its an itch we have.

Dew
May 16, 2012 02:49PM
Other than the change in the FE-CO numbers, the major appreciable differences on speaking to someone who has used both is the
ability to invoke Two Tone Ferrous (TTF). And, according to Tom D. here...."It's most useful feature."
You can also use the Etrac exchange to download discrimination/coin patterns via a usb cable.
Andy Sabisch's book explains alot of in depth. I am sure there is more in the circuitry, etc. I am only going by what I have learned in
conversation, so by no means is this expert testimony.

Explorers have Iron Mask....Etrac's have QuickMask. Same thing.
May 16, 2012 03:15PM
How the machine classifies targets is different on the eTrac vs the Explorer as well. I thought the eTrac was a step up from the Explorer just because to me, it seemed faster on showing what was on the screen. There was always a huge lag between signal sound vs what appeared on the screen on the Explorer. This was sped up on the eTrac IMO. They also done a few things to it to make it more comfortable to swing....i.e. changed the grip angle and added some carbon fiber material instead of plastic, and went with the Pro coil which reduced weight quite a bit over the older style coils.

My opinion is that people are selling the eTracs to fund new machines....whether it be the CTX or something else....and thus you see more eTracs right now because they can get more out of them versus an Explorer....thus requiring less boot money to hop to whatever it is they want next. To many people, the eTrac went deep enough for them for digging in parks and such....but they are thinking with the CTX, they can unmask more finds in trash and have a whole new degree of precise target identification. Gotta go...UPS just pulled up with my Blisstool smiling smiley
May 16, 2012 03:58PM
In addition what I have read:

E-Trac is better balanced.
Explorer has better sounds at depth - perhaps is even deeper IF you go by sounds.
E-Trac has a more stable VID.
E-Trac is more stable and a bit easier to make sense of what it is telling you.

Basically, I think the E-Trac is a bit more user friendly in the end, not necessarily better.

From another forum:

Elevatorguy
Yes, you can open the entire screen, but all desirable coins on the E-Trac will still hit on only the FE12 line as well as some trash hitting on that line. With the Explorer series, the entire SmartFind screen was used. I could tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver dime, even as far as noting the difference between a normal silver dime and a very well worn silver dime by where the cross hairs sat on my screen. By handcuffed I mean that by having all good coin targets hit on one line, you lose the ability to maximize the amount the information given to the user, which is what we all want.

Critterhunter -
Having owned several Explorers and setup a friend's Etrac who doesn't like to do that much reading and research on the forums (while I enjoy the heck out it), along with using his machine in the field here and there...I'd have to agree with what you said. I don't care for the way the VDI is set up on the Etrac as much as I like how it is on the Explorers. As you said, based on the cross hair response I seem to be able to get much more fine detail out of the Explorer's VDI.

I guess that's one of the reasons why there are fanatical SE Pro users and there are fanatical Etrac users, combined with a few other differences in the two machines that draw people to one of those two camps. I'm just glad Minelab didn't replace the Explorer with the Etrac, as that gives everybody a choice as to just what machine suits them best. There are of course other valid reasons why some prefer the Etrac to the SE Pro as well, and vise versa, so it's everybody's choice as to what they like best in both machines.

I've got a question for you guys who have used both machines...Is it just me or is the ferrous reading on the Explorer much more reliable and consistent? Even on coins at shallow depths with no masking the ferrous reading seems to vary wildly on the Etrac while it seems much more stable and useful to note on the Explorer. I know the Etrac is said to have more reliable conductive values at extreme depth than the Explorer, but on the other hand many prefer the Explorer's audio at depth over the Etrac...So it appears to be a trade off one way or the other depending on which ability you want at extreme depth (slightly better audio or VDI).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 04:54PM by earthmansurfer.
May 16, 2012 06:18PM
Well Dan I think you know how I feel as I love my E-trac. I will admit though I haven't had as much time with the original Explorer models,But a couple things I noticed is one the E-trac is a little faster recovery in trash and where I live most the good old coins that are left are in the trash. Another thing I like is the numerical system is more accurate as to tell a dime,quarter and half apart. And the balance makes it feel lighter if weight is an issue. I think you would love the E-trac. And also since your already familar with the Explorer the transition would be easy.
May 17, 2012 04:38AM
Dan,the two best deep turf guys I know(capt fi and Ron ( ca ) ) both stuck with explorers. Both guys often pull over 10 silvers out of hard hit areas.
May 17, 2012 10:04AM
I can understand why some of the Explorer guys were not happy when ML came out with the E-trac. Many hours they spent learning the "S" curve and the FE numbers on the Explorers. They didn't want an easier machine and said the 12'ish line was less accurate. I have used both, and the E was easier for my brain to wrap around, but, I didn't have extended use on the SE and wasn't "one" with it like many became.
My buddy is selling his DFX and SE to fund the new CTX, he is keeping his E-trac. I'm wondering if he should keep the SE and sell the rest....what do you Explorer / E-trac guys think?
May 17, 2012 12:55PM
I would keep the SE, the CTX adapt the fe/co from the E-Trac.

He would have more variability and versatility if he kept the SE instead.

My opinion.
May 17, 2012 01:16PM
Thanks guys seems like for someone new to Minelab and Explorer series its easier to learn and is an improved model but those used to the present crosshair movements may feel don't fix what aint broke kind of thing..
Personally I have a darn near mint XS second run sep 0 and personally feel its as good as any of the Explorer series I used along with my limited hunting time so an E-trac is not in my future and great to be on a forum where members are not afraid to post their feelings.
Down and dirty E-trac is probably a better unit than previous Explorer series but in my situation not so.
Having said all the above some darn good E-trac deals out there fellows so those wanting one take advantage of the situation as your situation may differ so don't let this series of threads stop you...