Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any "Regulars" here planning to get a CTX early?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Any "Regulars" here planning to get a CTX early?
May 20, 2012 04:15PM

A friend of mine got to try one of the 3030's out this weekend and was amazed. He said with the GPS, it will mark the spot you have hunted so you don't repeat any footsteps. That would be very handy for those large beaches.

Even the highest priced GPS used in a "sensitive" mode is only good to < 3m - It could be exactly where you are or it could be 2.9m away. How could that possibly tell you where you've been in terms that would be helpful to detectorists?

Has any claim been made about depth or speed? I haven't heard anything useful about this thing yet. It seems like a bulkier etrac that can be submerged (not necessarily swung) at 10'. While a waterproof etrac is nice, it's certainly not worth $2500.

Also, when I watch the videos, it appears you really need to use the arm strap because of balance. Has anyone ever seen a serious detectorist (read: one who hunts often, digs a lot, and finds much) use an arm strap? It makes me question whether the folks at Minelab even detect? They didn't appear to listen to any of the long term detectorists requests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 04:16PM by Shambler.
May 20, 2012 04:55PM
Steve, no I'm not by any means upset I was just trying to make a point.

I am a strong advocate for the truth, that's what makes this website different from all rest is the lack of politics and censorship with hinder the truth. Sometimes I'll pay at great expense just to get the truth. When fantastic claims were made about the DEUS, I remained sceptical yet... not negative. I decided to let Tom find the truth, since I know and hunted with him. I know the extreme types of sites (iron infested) he hunts in. I had my DEUS shipped directly to him before I even used it, to get....the truth.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tom has a 30/30 on doorstep on the 30th, and once again....we'll all know the truth.

Aaron
May 20, 2012 05:11PM
Gotcha Aaron; it's cool.

Thought it sounded like I may have ticked you off a bit, which was not my intent. Glad I misread it.

I'm not negative about the 3030 (except that it's priced such that I'll not be swinging one); skeptical, but not negative, as you say you were on the Deus. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong, and this unit turns out to be the cat's meow. But I have a few thoughts in my head that suggest this is little more than a re-packaged E-Trac with some nice, but unnecessary, bells and whistles, and some improved ability to give some type of ID when there are multiple targets under the coil (in scenarios when, with prior FBS units, it could be tough to get a useable ID number with all the jumpiness of the numbers/cursor, and the nulling which would at times not allow the ID to update). Due to this "issue," most have learned to go by "tones," to tease out those "multiple targets under the coil" situations, not worrying about the ID. If FBS2 simply allows ID numbers to better be displayed in this scenario, but really doesn't do anything different in terms of "separation" or "unmasking," then that's not a big deal, to me -- as I'd be relying on the tones, anyway, not staring at the screen.

Anyway, like you say -- when NASA-Tom gets his hands on one, and gives a report, we'll finally have a no-hype, scientifically-based review of the unit -- and I await with bated breath. smiling smiley

Steve
May 20, 2012 05:21PM
The very few times that I need a GPS for detecting, a $100. one in my pocket will sufice.
May 20, 2012 05:54PM
My response was a little harsh. I love the hobby of metal detecting. I am a big Minelab fan. I love the Sovereign, Excalibur and E Trac. Great, wonderful detectors. They all do one thing very well and that is detect.

This new detector I'm sure will raise the bar for detecting. It sounds like it has some great features.

But it also has a cost to it that is darn near laughable. To justify that price it has features that are mostly gimmick and nothing to do with detecting. Wireless headphones? I have the Deus. I know what wireless is. This isn't it. GPS? Why? How about a garage door remote? I would spend the money in an instant if it was put into detecting. I bought the E Trac. I bought the Deus. I'm not afraid to pony up the money if it is about detecting. They also included the same headphones nobody wore from the E Trac. They took away third party support for new coils. They are charging an arm and leg for the coils and waterproof headphones. There is little to be happy about if this becomes the industry standard. I thought Garrett set a fine example with the At Pro. It was marketed as an all terrain detector. What does it do? It detects. All for a great price. I'm sure this new Minelab is in a league all it's own. But at 4 x the price of the AT Pro?

Someone needs to step to the plate and tell manufacturers to keep it about detecting.
I think there will be a nich
May 20, 2012 06:10PM
I remembered when the AT pro came out, I got one and had a hell of a time to figure it out, after 6 months, I use it all the time and have dug some great stuff with it, the AT Pro can only do so much, I also us my XLT at different sites, I got a CZ20 this winter and once again , have a hell of a time figuring it out, I say this because a lot of people will not give the new machine their time and just say it's not that good of a machine, time will tell with all the new machines and in the hands of the person who wants to learn them, the machines will sparkle
May 21, 2012 06:11AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve, no I'm not by any means upset I was just
> trying to make a point.
>
> I am a strong advocate for the truth, that's what
> makes this website different from all rest is the
> lack of politics and censorship with hinder the
> truth. Sometimes I'll pay at great expense just to
> get the truth. When fantastic claims were made
> about the DEUS, I remained sceptical yet... not
> negative. I decided to let Tom find the truth,
> since I know and hunted with him. I know the
> extreme types of sites (iron infested) he hunts
> in. I had my DEUS shipped directly to him before I
> even used it, to get....the truth.
>
> I wouldnt be surprised if Tom has a 30/30 on
> doorstep on the 30th, and once again....we'll all
> know the truth.
>
> Aaron

hoping this comes to pass! i would send it to him in a heartbeat IF i could afford to buy one!
want to KNOW the truth,without being engaged in a political "'money" game!
could care 2 sh**s less about that!

(h.h.!)
j.t.