Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3 facets of the hobby...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3 facets of the hobby...
June 02, 2012 01:22PM
Good unit, experienced operator that knows his unit well and the one and most important is finding good hunting areas..

Seems like everyone wants the newest most expensive top technology unit on the market, but somewhere along the line research falls by the wayside.

Believe me find a good area with a good unit that you have learned well and goodies will be put in the pouch.

Certainly the hobby can become hard work depending on the area you are hunting and might as well have the best equipment, but lets learn it well and above all do some research instead of hitting the same old areas which we are all guilty of...
Re: 3 facets of the hobby...
June 02, 2012 01:49PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good unit, experienced operator that knows his
> unit well and the one and most important is
> finding good hunting areas..
>
> Seems like everyone wants the newest most
> expensive top technology unit on the market, but
> somewhere along the line research falls by the
> wayside.
>
> Believe me find a good area with a good unit that
> you have learned well and goodies will be put in
> the pouch.
> Certainly the hobby can become hard work depending
> on the area you are hunting and might as well have
> the best equipment, but lets learn it well and
> above all do some research instead of hitting the
> same old areas which we are all guilty of...

Lotsa wisdom in those words.....agree 100%!!!
June 02, 2012 02:48PM
Could not agree more with you Dan on the research part. Going over county history books, newspapers, microfilms, maps, the courthouse for land records and of course the old timers can be a wealth of information. I have always thought 90 % of metal detecting is research, 7% is actually finding the site, and 3% the actual metal detecting. Have been working three sites for the last 4yrs. that i found through research and have pulled over 120 pre-1900 coins from these sites. A campmeeting area 1860s-1900, a fairground 1860s-1890s, and a chautauqua site 1890s-1920s. So yes i believe research is important.
June 02, 2012 03:43PM
Without a doubt you got to find a good site. I don't have a car and get to really pounding one site. Will have to venture out of my comfort zone on the bike... ;-)

Well, my German is certainly getting better so I need to start researching some new spots - thanks for the reminder.

Albert

ps - Funnily enough, my reason for selling the E-Trac and searching for a CTX wasn't really a tech thing. I hated using the swingy thingy on the E-Trac. The poor balance just hurt. Seeing all these reports about the perfect balance has just made me think of having a newer and "lighter" E-Trac...
June 02, 2012 03:51PM
I see a lot of people take flack from posting some excellent ..... all most unbelievable finds. But what you may not know is where they found them and what kind of research went into it. I know of a recent hunter that was told his finds were to .... contraversal and was asked to not post them. This wasnt no average Joe. I think you got it Dan.... that and a love of the hobby..... all the above and the machine setting in the closet wont put finds in your pouch either.

Dew