Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What Machine & Coil Did You Dig Your Deepest Coin On Land With?

Posted by critterhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What Machine & Coil Did You Dig Your Deepest Coin On Land With?
June 04, 2012 07:35PM
Thought this would be an interesting discussion. I'm talking on land here and not in the sand.

For me, I've dug two 11" deep coins with the Sovereign GT and stock 10" Tornado coil. In one hole it was an Indian and in the other a V-nickle. This was under ideal wet conditions, and my soil tends to be mineralized. Based on my tests though the 12x10 I now use is deeper. Just haven't hunted with it in wet soil at known deep coin spots enough yet to pop deeper targets with it. I am, however, popping wheats and silver dimes on a pretty regular basis with this coil at 8 or 9" in dry conditions, and this is at some mineralized sites where that kind of depth was unheard of with any machine I've ever owned.

So give us your machine, coil, depth, and what kind of coin it was. Also tell us how bad your soil is if you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 08:24PM by critterhunter.
Re: What Machine & Coil Did You Dig Your Deepest Coin On Land With?
June 04, 2012 10:24PM
Sovereign xs with the old style white solid s-12 coil. Indian head that was an inch deeper than my lesche is long. If it wasnt for the s-1 probe,I never would have got it. Was under a damn root,in a park. Soil was that rich,black soil,and park was well watered. I wish I would have tried out the sef coils you keep mentioning. Right now I have my focus on gold country sites,where iron seperation is more important ,than depth. If I go back to parks,you can bet I will by another Sov,and try those coils.
June 05, 2012 07:57AM
My deepest is 9 1/2", a Seated quarter, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, using the 11" Pro coil. This one hit HARD, so I know I could have seen it quite a bit deeper; I just don't think there ARE a whole lot of coins more than 10" deep in this Oklahoma dense red clay.

Steve
June 05, 2012 01:02PM
This one may surprise a lot of forum members but at an old baseball field in the country using a GTI2500 in the all metal that ID's dug a 13 inch barber dime with a solid dime reading. Noisy mode at best and the unit is very boxy and tough to handle for long periods but the all metal that ID's goes deep.

Also dug a 16 inch walking half out of an old swimming hole they drained. Of couse the ground was wet and would never have been able to dig on land or at least would be quite a task with rocks and hard ground. Yep was gotten by a CZ5.

Both were dug with stock coils...

No BS and isolated incidents but the GTI previous to that using all metal had gotten me 8-9 inch silver dimes and of course have dug more than one silver dime at 10-12 inches with various models of the CZ line..
June 05, 2012 09:08PM
Dug a clad dime at better than 10" (nice soft repeatable signal) using a Vaquero with the stock coil. Sens @ 9 and thres @ 2 oclock position. Now that I have a CZ, I'm looking for that 12" dime.
June 07, 2012 10:29AM
GPX 4800 standard coil.
June 07, 2012 10:53AM
E-Trac stock coil with some regularity, 8" and 9" copper, zinc or bronze coins. Soil is somewhat iron mineralized. Bouncy on the display but pretty good warbly audio.
Deepest overall coin was measured 12" in same soil, wet ground and it was iron clad that didn't give a response out of ground. Terrible signal in ground.
June 07, 2012 02:32PM
That's about average for what I get in my somewhat mineralized soil....8 to 9" on a silver dime or wheat is pretty regular with my GT and 12x10, but as said have dug a few coins at 11" in wet conditions with it. Those depths might now sound spactacular but you have to understand that all the machines I ever owned before the GT would max out at about 7.5" at the most in my soil on a silver dime. The Explorer IIs I owned got a tad bit deeper than that, but the GT is getting even deeper, so I'm happy as heck with this machine. And that's even using the stock 10" coil, but in my tests the 12x10 is even deeper, even at the exact same sensitivity setting. I tested a silver dime at a 3PM sensitivity setting, which is pretty low, and the stock coil couldn't hear it but the 12x10 hit it with no problem....and this coil will usually run at even higher sensitivity at sites than the stock coil, so for that reason alone I know it's a deeper coil.
June 07, 2012 09:19PM
CZ3D 12 inches one cent from 1800

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 08, 2012 04:11AM