Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX 3030? Horsehockey! CZ-3D has a 16 silver coin day.

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX 3030? Horsehockey! CZ-3D has a 16 silver coin day.
June 08, 2012 02:54PM
I posted back at the end of March about detecting 100 year old golf course that had been turned into a city park [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
I went there yesterday and had my best silver day in a LONG time! I was using my old 1021 CZ-3D with a Sunray FZ-12 loop.

2 Barbers/5 Mercs/8 Rosies/1 War nickel = 16 silver coins (and a beat up silver small womans ring)
A double dime trifecta smiling smiley

Also nabbed 3 Indian cents/37 Wheat cents/a junky old womans watch/8 bullets/cut up coins/clad/etc.
The deepest coin was a very thin (and black) 1903 Barber dime at a measured 10 1/2".
126 silver coins/10 rings out of that park now in just over 2 months!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 03:03PM by Lipservice.
Re: CTX 3030? Horsehockey! CZ-3D has a 16 silver coin day.
June 08, 2012 03:30PM
It all comes down to operator, equipment and above all ((site)).......

Tip of the hat to a job well done and in addendum tough to beat a CZ in competent hands old technology or not....seems we are all searching for this super duper unit that will do it all and forgetting about finding new sites...which indeed is the most important of all...

Lets face it if their is not a 10 point buck on the mountain you are hunting or a trophy fish in the lake you are fishing you are surely not going to come home with one and the same goes for the hobby....
June 08, 2012 03:51PM
Agreed. While a good chunk of a detectors performance is up to the machine, there is still user skill and ability involved that probably represents that last 30 or 40% of performance to get out of the machine. The best detector in the world, if it isn't being pushed in terms of experience, ability, skill, and proper use, will not do as well as a "lessor" detector with an experience operator who uses it to it's full potential.
June 08, 2012 04:06PM
Lots of ball marker's 'Ahem' silver dime's there...Congrat's...

Look's like a great place to detect...Most people used dimes for ball marker's still do if you dont have one of those fancy little bought marker's..

Funny you posted about the golf course...

I have found a Golf Course myself from the 1880s..to about 1920-1921....

I grew up playing in the woods on top of it across from my grand parent's house...Always wonderd what all the humps were everwhere in the wood's..My Pawpaw always told me a different tell about them when we were walking in the wood's..Non of them were ever right ...from indian mounds to dinosaur eggs buried in there....I must of dug into a half dozen as a kid thinking they were holding a lost treasure ..He always kept me entertained...

They made great places to play war for us kid's also!

I years later discovered it was part of a huge resort complex offering 100's of acres of enjoyment golfing, fishing,picknicking, health spa loacted on top of a mineral spring swimmimg pools .. and a huge hotel ..I have seen a post card of ..unreal and there's not even a sign of it left......I have always wonderd how many barber dimes are lying around on the course...

people reaching into their pocket for a a ball and the dime fails onto the ground...

I need to get relics out of my mind long enough to hunt it ....I have had that spot on the back burner for over 25 year's since finding out it was a golf course through a local history museum....

Thanks for the post

Glad you are making some silver finds like that especially the dimes...encouraging to say the least.

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 04:09PM by Keith Southern.
June 08, 2012 04:57PM
I shouldn't be complaining but sometime... sooner than later I hope... I can get a detector that goes deeper.
10 1/2" on a dime takes super concentration (an some luck) in our dirt. Even with a 12 1/2" loop. It is
about the limit of this CZ-3D. The course has undergone several relandscaping/resoding projects over the years.
I've dug up aluminum can slaw well over a foot deep in there... that ain't normal! Found part of an old broken sprinkler
head yesterday at over a foot and a half deep... that ain't normal either. Several times in different areas I'll dig
down 4/5/6 inches and run into that plastic landcaping netting. Add to that a golf course gets mowed often. Think
of all the grass clippings that have piled up and turned to dirt over the years. There are a LOT of coins in there lost
to the depths (and of course masking). The SHALLOWEST silver coin for me in there has been 6". With 7 to 8 inches
being the average. I surely pondered the Blisstool. And although there is not a heck of a lot of non ferrous trash, there
IS enough to take the Bliss out of contention. I'm too old to dig every non ferrous signal. Although there is just a small
handfull of people who know about this place a couple are VERY experienced. A few use Minelabs with various sized
loops, a Whites V3ii user, Garrett AT Pro... to be honest my CZ-3D finds more there. We have compared finds at the
end of the day a couple times. I've easily outhunted them. So to me, at least right now, for this spot: no advantage going
to any Minelab/Whites/Garrett for the deep coins here. Bryannagirl mentioned getting a F-75. I've never used one/or even
saw one in use, so I don't know. Would it work better here? And the Deus sounds nice. But I just don't think it goes deep
enough for this situation. Think I'll just wait on the new Fisher, who knows?

Or I could do what my 30 year old son suggested (he has a CZ-3D also, and is in good shape):
Buy a Blisstool. I swing the detector. He digs. We find out what is REALLY hiding there smiling smiley
June 09, 2012 09:24PM
Hey I am working on Daniel - We need him or his Blisstool and a couple of shovels for a week. I will confirm that Lipservice makes his CZ3D proud. He was running circles around me and my Safari.

Bryanna
June 09, 2012 10:43PM
Holy cow, lipservice, what a GREAT day. Congrats!

And KEITH!!!! Are you NUTS???? For a coin hunter like me, that spot you described, that has been "sitting on your back burner for 25 years" would NEVER have made it anywhere NEAR my "back burner." Matter of fact, I would have been on that thing like a fly on a horse pattie, as soon as I discovered it! That sounds like my DREAM site, Keith -- and one you could hunt FOREVER and NEVER get it finished.

Could I ask a favor, please? If, however many decades from now, you get too old to hunt anymore, and that site never managed to make it off your "back burner," could you kindly declare, in your will, that the file containing your research and the location of that spot, be designated to "steveg?" smiling smiley

Just kidding...but MAN...that sounds like a DREAM site, Keith.

OK, back on topic. lipservice, you done GOOD with your CZ!

Steve
June 10, 2012 12:07AM
Thats pretty funny Steve...

And I must me nut's ...My wife tells me I am quite regular...

That got me to thinking though...

A few years back I was looking for a Confederate Cavalry camp....Well actually a picket post to the main camp I had allready hunted...

I got on the trail of some burnside Bullet's and a coule fo bullet's and then it just played out ...Pretty deep in the wood's...

I wondered around a bit and found an old road but I could tell it was not of civil war vintage..more like an old farm road or somthing I thought..

Well I walked down it a few hundred yards..and come up on a spot that looked completely different from the surrounding area...Lot's of old Mimosa trees growing and willow's also...Sort of sumpy looking......

I dug up some brass rods to start then some old tent peg's ...then an old brass reel of a fly rod it looked like....Then dug some mercury dime's...about 4-5 then a washington quarter and some wheat back's ....I could not figure out what was going on out here in the middle of no where...then in the sumpy are I saw a bit of an old row boat sticking up in the dirt...But still it did not hit me ....I started to move on and dug a Roy roger's token....And before leaving dug a Big gold Air force ring...Dated 1942...

Well call me crazy But I have never been back.....No civil war items in there that I could Find...And I try to concentrate my efforts on such site's..

I did not ever figure it out till later on when i did a map overlay from sold old maps I found on line...It was a lake..It shows up on a 1938 aerial photo..but is not there in a 1975 topo map I found...

From the 1938 picture it looks well established ...probably an old farm pond? or local swimming/camping spot?

Here's the Pic.

Come down sometime and we will go hunt it ...I dont have any coin hunting buddy's..Might be fun if I had someone to share in the enjoyment with...

I am sure there's more coin's..Might be some jewelry in there too...

Keith
June 10, 2012 12:30AM
Lipservice heck don't know what your ground is like but this blue coal N.E. Pa. ground is no trip in the park and got more than one 10-12 inch silver dime with a CZ and stock 8 inch coil....I hope you are running volume at 10 so you can hear the deepies and 13-14 inches is more like it with a CZ and that 12 inch Sunray coil...Might be one of the deepest units on the planet coil for coil in experienced hands....and yes I have used several models of the Explorer series....
June 10, 2012 03:18AM
20 years ago, a local treasure hunter had a silver dime buried 10 inches in his yard for over 10 years. The CZ-7 was the only detector on the market then that would hit it. We tried them all.
June 10, 2012 04:34AM
Why is that so many of this older detectors just work and work well. I think I know the answer little or no digital signal processing Analog is more direct and has less overhead so my guess is sometimes simpler is better!

Bryanna
June 10, 2012 05:21AM
Dan, thanks for the input. I have read many of your posts here and elsewhere. And have often read about the depths you get coins at. This CZ-3D is probably my 7th or 8th Fisher.
This 1021 was validated by Tom: 12" on a clad dime in his dirt (8"coil)
My sons First Texas CZ-3D was validated by Tom: 12" on a clad dime in his dirt (8"coil)
We have compared them against each other many times in the field, using all the coil sizes, and they perform exactly the same as far as I can tell.
Here , in our dirt, 10 1/2" on a silver dime is the limit. As a matter of fact the 10 1/2" barber I dug a couple days ago I put it back in the hole and placed it about 3/4" deeper making it just over 11"
deep. Filled the hole back in, replaced the plug and stomped it down firmly. I could not get even the tiniest signal off it. Soil is pretty darn dry here now/grass was just mowed there.
And many of the deeper coins I've found do not hit 4 ways... 2 or 3 ways and I dig! I did dig 1 nail this hunt but usually they do not fool me, can tell by how they pinpoint.
Last month I was hunting along side an ETrac and Exporer II (both had big loops on) and I got a deep hit. They wanted to check the signal. Neither one could hit it.
I carefully recovered the signal... barber dime at just over 10" sitting on the side of the hole at almost a 45deg angle.
My only conclusion is the dirt here has got to be at least somewhat mineralized.

Oh... volume for hunting this place is maxed out/sens 4.9/GB ends up between 4 and 5/0 disc. I regroundbalance probably every 20 minutes but it seldom changes much.
June 10, 2012 06:18PM
Keith --

That's a mighty fine offer, and I'd consider it a real privelege to hunt with you sometime, REGARDLESS of the site. While that's not something I can take you up on anytime soon (family obligations at this point in my life really limit my travel opportunities) -- I'll keep it in my mind, for sure. To find a couple of old coins or a Civil War piece or two while hunting with such an experienced, knowledgeable and just overall good guy such as yourself would seriously be a real treat for me...

Thank you kindly!

Steve
June 10, 2012 07:00PM
I understand obligation's Steve...

No problem..

Offer always open though...

I used to entertain out of towners for hunt's every now and then...but then gas got so high people quit travelling to hunt...

thanks for the kind word's,...

Keith
June 10, 2012 09:47PM
I much appreciate the open offer, and I'm sticking it in my mind, Keith!

Steve