Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac and choice of coils

Posted by DonM 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Etrac and choice of coils
June 16, 2012 11:24AM
I posted this question on another site but part of it was censored (I guess because a certain brand of coil is not offered for sale by the sponsors) so I will try here:

I just picked up a gently used Etrac that came with 2 coils (well actually 4, the stock plus a 5"X10" DD NEL) and I am wondering which one is best for general coin shooting (at least to start out with) - if you had to choose one of these 2 - which one would it be:

I realize that the bigger the coil - the more depth is attained but since I am just starting out and I have a lot to learn - which of these 2 would give the most accurate tone and id numbers in a park type setting.

1 10"X12"DD SEF COIL

1 12"X13"DD NEL TORNADO COIL

I plan to give this Etrac a good test run before deciding which detector to keep (I also have a V3i) although I suspect that once I learn how to use the Etrac properly, the Etrac will end up being the keeper.
Re: Etrac and choice of coils
June 16, 2012 03:02PM
I will leave the answer to those more experienced then myself but I think it would be helpful to mention where you hunt and the type of ground and amount of trash. I assume your goal is old silver not clad - is that correct.

Bryanna
June 16, 2012 04:07PM
The stock coil for any new unit is basically tuned for the unit and for general hunting I would recommend anyone getting a new or even used unit while learning to use it use the stock coil...
That being said when you get the hang of the unit you can either go small or large depending on your hunting needs...

Small usually works well in trashy areas and places where big coils will not... edge of sidewalks, iron fences..next to iron poles in tot lost...well you get the idea..
Large gives you superior coverage for large areas and go deeper where superior depth is needed and area is non trashy.

I know I didn't answer your question per se but just a general answer while learning your unit...
June 16, 2012 04:48PM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will leave the answer to those more experienced
> then myself but I think it would be helpful to
> mention where you hunt and the type of ground and
> amount of trash. I assume your goal is old silver
> not clad - is that correct.
>
> Bryanna

Definately prefer to go for old silver coins and even old copper ones - I am located in the Toronto area. I am just starting out with the Etrac but I have been detecting for about 30 years and had been a CZ user ever since they came out. I just decided to try some different units in the hopes that my previously hunted sites will kick out a few more old coins and besides I like the challenge of trying to master this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 04:49PM by DonM.
June 16, 2012 06:10PM
The Detech Ultimate has had a lot of great reviews...

Here is some off this forum: [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
June 17, 2012 04:21AM
The best for hi-trash/iron is the SunRay X-5 and X-8

If you cant afford both get the X-5, a excellent coil!
June 17, 2012 04:24AM
Either the stock 11" Pro Coil or the 10x12 SEF coil is a good choice. That is what I would use. The sensitivity to small targets is pretty darn good with either of those coils. They also work well for deep silver and coppers. Using the "Long" setting instead of the "Normal" setting is irritating, but very helpful for the fringe deep silver. Hope this helps you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 04:27AM by coinnut.
June 17, 2012 02:11PM
I agree with Aaron. I have a Sunray X-5 on my E-Trac and it hardly comes off. For me it's the best coil for parks and trashy areas.
June 17, 2012 05:09PM
For very trashy spots you will need the 5" or 6" coils as stated.
For moderate trash I liked the 6X8 SEF. It got great depth and separated excellently.
If you ground isn't too trashy, you can use the 13" Detech as a stock coil replacement - lots of guys are. You will get the same separation (maybe better) but 1.5" to 2" more depth and better EMI handling. It weighs about what the stock does.
I liked the 12X13 NEL. I heard it is more sensitive than the 13" Detech but outside of that the Detech had it beat in every other category. The 12X13 and 10X12 are heavy imo.

The depth advantage with larger coils seems to reach a peak though. I had the 15X17 and it covered more ground but I don't think it was much more deep than the 13" Detech - maybe 1/2" or 1". But the ground coverage was huge, as was the back ache.

Hope that was helpful,
Albert
June 17, 2012 06:15PM
Albert, can you give an opinion? Or anyone else who has had an ETrac and a CTX 3030.

Does a CTX 3030 with the factory coil go deeper on coins than an ETrac with the 13" Detech Ultimate coil? Assuming both detectors are set up properly.

This is a very tough question to get an honest answer on for a host of reasons!
June 17, 2012 06:36PM
Lipservice - I really don't know. I did see a video or was it a post on Finds, in where they compared signals of a 13" Detech on an E-Trac and a CTX with stock coil. The CTX kept up with the depth of the 13" Detech but that was just on those signals. The CTX hit harder on tougher signals, if memory serves me correct - don't quote me here.

It does appear the CTX is giving better depth than the E-Trac in certain ground, that being bone dry but it's still early in the game. The CTX handles EMI better, so that gives you effectively more depth depending on your EMI.

What you are essentially asking though, is if the CTX is 1.5" - 2" deeper than the Etrac. I think at most and in certain soils (or with EMI present) it might be, but not in general.

If you can handle the balance of the E-Trac and don't need waterproof, I'd go with an E-Trac. The CTX might get you another 10% - 15% more targets, those extremely iffy ones on the E-Trac. Might get you a little more depth but it's a lot to pay for that. What I am excited about is what target trace will develop into as another unmasking tool. I was surprised by how much it added to my one hunt so far...

Think it will take some time to better answer your question,
Albert
June 17, 2012 09:33PM
Thanks Albert. The ETrac is too heavy and my CZ-3D beats it on depth in the ground I hunt in. I think the CTX probably is too much also even if it is balanced good for my 64 year old arms.
Unless the CTX proves to me it can get 12" dimes in my dirt I'll hold off and see what Fisher brings out later on.
Terry
June 17, 2012 09:57PM
Terry - imo a good choice with the waiting for the new CZ. (But keep an eye out for comparison videos.) We'll see if my sensitive back handles the first 100 hour of CTX use.

I'm curious, for selfish reasons ") what is you soil like? Mine is somewhat iron mineralized.

Thx,
Albert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 10:00PM by earthmansurfer.
June 17, 2012 11:27PM
Same here!
June 17, 2012 11:50PM
Don --

To specifically answer your question, I am only familiar directly with the Pro coil; I have an SEF coil, but it's the 6x8 one, not the 10x12. I like them both, and I also REALLY like my SunRay X-5 coil. However your questions were specifically with respect to the coils you have, so I'll leave out discussion of other coils.

You have received some good coil advice here, but I think if I were interested in evaluating a detector I'd never used, I would in general, most times, want to use the coil made by the detector manufacturer that is to be used with the specific machine you are testing. That is NOT to say that other coils are not as good, if not better, but in this case, I know the Pro coil to be a very good coil.

IF you are hunting in very clean ground, you may get more depth from the NEL coil; the 10x12 SEF is supposedly a VERY good coil also -- similar depth to the stock coil, but with perhaps a bit more stability/less iron falsing than the stock Pro coil (my 6x8 SEF is a very stable coil). If you are hunting in very heavy trash, your 5x10 NEL coil might be good to try -- but again, in general, if it were me, all things considered, I think I'd evaluate that machine with its own 11" Pro coil.

Just my two cents...

Steve
June 18, 2012 12:32AM
steveg Wrote:
general, if it were me, all things considered, I
> think I'd evaluate that machine with its own 11"
> Pro coil. Just my two cents...
>
> Steve

What you say makes sense, I guess that I was thinking that these after market coils were perhaps superior in some way but I will start off with the Minelab original until I get some hours on it.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
June 20, 2012 12:35AM
Is the balance really that big of a difference in handling the weight? I know I asked this on another forum,But it is really one of the few reasons I'm kicking around getting one as my bad shoulder and E-trac don't mix. I am also hearing it likes steel bottle caps which is a no,no when it comes to coin hunting trashy parks. Would post this on the other forum,But want unbiased opinion.
June 20, 2012 04:48AM
If I had the choice of all I would use the 5x10 DD Nel as long as you are not sweeping a football field sized area.
However, I will say with the stock 11"DD coil you cannot lose. The pinpointing accuracy of a coil this size astounds me.
June 20, 2012 07:52AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Is the balance really that big of a difference in
> handling the weight? I know I asked this on
> another forum,But it is really one of the few
> reasons I'm kicking around getting one as my bad
> shoulder and E-trac don't mix. I am also hearing
> it likes steel bottle caps which is a no,no when
> it comes to coin hunting trashy parks. Would post
> this on the other forum,But want unbiased opinion.

Yes Harold, it is THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE. I basically did what you are thinking of doing. I loved my E-Trac but hated using the swingy thingy and prior to that hated the days after a long hunt - muscle pain all over my back. I basically upgraded to a "balanced E-Trac" in the CTX. I still feel the weight a bit but the balance really compensates for it. I would have sold my E-Trac regardless, the balance just killed it and me.

I would say though that it depends where your problems lie and what they are. It is of course quite subjective.

Albert
June 20, 2012 06:30PM
Thanks for the reply earthman. My issues are most likely rotater cuff muscle tendons in the rear deltoid area. I can't blame it on the E-trac or any detector for that matter as it is due to years of swinging a hammer doing construction work and years of bench presses lifting weights.Like you I didn't want to use a swingy thing. I figure if I have to use something like that then it is time to get a different detector or out of the hobby. But for some reason I could always swing Fisher CZ's with the housing still on the rod with no problem?