Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First Gold Coin!!!!

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First Gold Coin!!!!
July 07, 2012 03:19PM
Well I finally did it. It rained a bit yesterday evening and I was back at the site where I had found the 3 half dimes stuck together, seated quarter, two cent piece, sword hook, bullets, and other items. I was using the Deus this morning in GM Power mode but with frequency turned to 12 (or 13?) due to the dew on the ground. I was under a cedar tree and got a bouncy hit in the 60's. Heck, I honestly don't remember, but I think that it bounced up into the 70's to because I knew that at that frequency, a bullet might be my target. BUT....a big cedar root about the size of my wrist impeded progress. Luckily, I had my Teknetics gold pick ( included in Tek G2 box) that I had sharpened with my side-grinder for times such as these. After a few whacks, I was lifting the forked piece of bio-mass out of the way and gave it a toss. I then reached down and grabbed the handful of loose soil under where the root had been and laid it on the ground. I scanned it with the XP Deus and it sounded off loud and clear. Oh goodie!, thought I as I began waving small handfuls of dirt before the Deus coil. BINGO! Had it in my hand. I looked at it, unclear as to what it was at first. I saw the gold, but I honestly thought that I had found a gilted flat button or even an Eagle button with good gilting. One side of the coin had a chunk of dirt stuck to it (for years probably) and it made it look button-y.
I fished out my glasses from my pockets, unfolded them, put them on, and immediately knew what I had. I saw the number "1". and then, 1859!!!!!!! As I always do, I looked around casually, and began slowly loading my stuff in the car. I was almost through anyway as it was getting hot and very unpleasant. I was at the tail end of my morning hunt and it was time to skedaddle. I called my detecting buddy on the way home and when I got home, I took a camera pic and texted it to him. He replied: WOW!!!! I texted "you got THAT right!!!" I'd like to share a pic of a MAJOR first with you guys and gals!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 02:44AM by Kevin B.
Re: First gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 07, 2012 03:39PM
Incredible find. My hat is off to you. You need to go back there and check for a spill. I find it incredible that you even went out in this heat. Well done.
July 07, 2012 03:42PM
WOW, A BIG CONGRATS. You found what i have been trying to find for 40yrs. Again CONGRATS.
July 07, 2012 03:45PM
Wow!

Is this a find of a lifetime???
July 07, 2012 04:10PM
Congrats not many of the them found and more in certain parts of country....most don't realize how small these babies are..

Not being familiar with your unit imagine it came in the foil area and I would have dug also as my favorite area for gold rings...

Closest I ever came to a gold coin was in a planted hunt and found the proper arrangement BDHC of tokens and was rewarded with a Mexican gold coin...

Perhaps over the next hill???
July 07, 2012 04:23PM
Being no expert on finding gold at all: This coin is 90% gold. That is up pretty high on the conductivity scale. 70's on the Deus sounds about right. A wonderful find. A mint mark on the back would have meant some serious serious money. But I would take one like this and be very satisfied.
July 07, 2012 04:36PM
I know, I was looking at the Numismatic website and how the ones with mint marks were significantly worth more, due to rarity i guess. I guess Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) was at work when the coin fell out of that pocket. The other ones had S's and D's on them probably. LOL The one that had to drop was the one of least value. But like you said, still a great and rare find and very satisfying. Now, I wonder if seeing a glint of silver in the ground will take back seat to seeing a glint of gold. LOL I'll take both, still.
July 07, 2012 04:49PM
Super find. I too go back to sites that were productive with oldies. It makes it more challenging and a greater learning exercise.
WOW Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 07, 2012 05:07PM
That is AWESOME my friend!!

I am very happy for you .....

I am also very envious of you....

I can tell it is fresh from the ground...Dont touch it leave it like it is...

I have seen some 'DUG' ones and you cant tell if they were dug or not...

You are truly fortunate to find such a treasure!

They dont turn up every Day, Week, Month or Year....

These newer tech machine's are doing more than we the user can immagine when the coil hit's the soil......

The DEUS was born to do just what you did ...Dig a small gold coin!!!!!

Theres way more in that site Too Kevin....I would bet to wager another gold coin might be lurking !!!

Again I am truly happy for you and love seeing and hearing about gold coins....

Your in trouble now Kevin That one single coin will fuel you for the rest of your life...It will control your every thought ..I already have scenarios about it running through my head and I am un-connected to it...

Congrat's

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 05:10PM by Keith Southern.
July 07, 2012 05:48PM
Wow Kevin that is awesome. I've been hunting about 16 years and have gotten to know and meet a lot of good hunters. As far as I know, you are the first person that I've been acquainted with that has ever found a gold coin!! Not to mention a martingale as well lol
July 07, 2012 05:56PM
Excellent find!

If I were you, I’d hit that site with every coil that I have and vary the settings for each coil used. Still waiting to find my first gold coin.

Once again, congrats on the find.

Here’s some E-trac info on U.S. gold coins that I gathered from various internet sites.
Approximated the height, volume, and density based on the mass, diameter, and gold alloy content.

__ _|                           | grams |   millimeters | cm^3 | g/cm^3|
FE    CO __|    TYPE                   | MASS  |DIAMETER|HEIGHT|VOLUME|DENSITY|
12    11   |  gold coin $1.00          |  1.67 |  15    | .517 | .091 |18.284 |
12    22   |  gold coin $2.50          |  4.18 |  18    | .9   | .229 |18.284 |
12    31   |  gold coin $5.00          |  8.4  |  21.6  |1.253 | .459 |18.284 |
12    38   |  gold coin $10.00         | 16.72 |  27    |1.596 | .914 |18.284 |
12    43   |  gold coin $20.00         | 33.44 |  34    |2.014 |1.829 |18.284 |

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
July 07, 2012 06:06PM
You got what all of us dream of finding. Great find, Kevin. HH jim tn
July 07, 2012 06:15PM
Wow, I am liking all these awesome compliments as much as or even better than the coin itself, although its a real beaut!! I wish that I had a way of putting all the coins that just came from this site in some kind of wall plaque!!!! I just don't like those little coin envelope things that you staple. Any ideas on how y'all display your coins would be welcome.
But seriously guys, I need to think realistically about this!!! I was merely at a great site for old coins!!!! I was very blessed to get to hunt it without fear of paying a tresspassing ticket. Actually, it's in a yard in the historical district of our town. Cars passing by and slowing down watching me. I just keep my eyes on the ground and listen to my tones. Sometimes I will offer a friendly wave. Sometimes not, especially if I am getting the 'mean-mug' from the passersby.
I want to thank each of generously for your nice replies. And I want to thank Keith Southern, NasaTom, and several others, (I'm typing fast and cannot remember each name) for helping me to develop a technique. Peace and love to you all. Kevin
PS (Reckon what this here thang is worth? Couple hundered bucks? )
July 07, 2012 06:36PM
Way to go Kevin. That Deus is becoming magic in your hands ! Seems like you have a nice spot to grid for awhile. Get hydrated, rest and get back out there.....looking forward to more great stuff.
July 07, 2012 07:00PM
For some odd reason, the R and the I in AMERICA are faded out!! The rest of the details are pretty sharp. Would the condition of the R and the I be a reason NOT to classify this as a Very Fine conditioned coin. I can and will take some better pics. I would rate this coin as VF if it weren't for the R and I in AMERICA!!! It may have been a mess up at the mint!
July 07, 2012 07:02PM
Wow!!! Very nice find Kevin. Your in Tennessee right? Even better out there. Out here in Cali,g.c. are more common,but still a very rare find. I've only got one in eleven years,and I only know of one dallar coin being found out here,so again,way to go bud!!! As for value,go to pcgs price guide...it shows its likely between $300-$350 today. Obviously,being gold,it can change rather abrubtly. As for displays,Paul (ca) used to make some very nice shadow boxes for his,from certain sites. He would use old historical maps from where it was found as a background. Try searching his name on findmall,or maybe he will chime in here. Go get some more dude! Ray
jrk
July 07, 2012 07:11PM
Fantastic Kevin!!! Congrats! Finally up on my families old homestead with the Deus, and all I'm digging are old rusted square/bent nails that register 97-98.

Randy
July 07, 2012 09:48PM
Some of those 97-98's are hard to walk aay from. We've all been there with the Deus. I have come to the conclusion that there is no rule for digging them. I hope version 3 software that is coming deals with the wrap around of iron. I don't want to hijack the thread of this great find so I will just say:

I vote Dankowski Banner!
July 07, 2012 10:13PM
A big congrats to you!
The only gold coins I ever found were two $1 coins in the same hole in the mid 70s. None since.
July 07, 2012 10:15PM
Very , very awesome find.
July 07, 2012 10:56PM
HUGE Congrats Kevin and a pat on the back,.... well done sir.
July 07, 2012 11:37PM
Kevin...... Your $1 Type-3 gold coin is a 'light strike' and looks to grade around a VF-25..... from what I can tell in the photo. It's approx value is $250. It will ID (on all detectors) as a 'foil' reading. On a F75 ..... it'll ID as a '24'..... for example. You will remember this 'find' and the 'conditions thereof' .... for the rest of your life. I have been searching for a $1 gold coin for my entire life. As of today........ I have been detecting for 40 years. I would MUCH rather find a $1 gold coin..... than a $20 Double Eagle gold coin. (It's the 'challange' ). Recently....... I found a $4100.00 diamond ring. It means NOTHING to me....... compared to your 1859. It is NOT the 'money'.........rather.......... it is the Historical Significance in concert with the 'challange'. Being a member of the Gold COIN club..... is the most 'coveted' detectorists status.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Much more to say......... but outta time.
July 08, 2012 12:15AM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, I am liking all these awesome compliments as
> much as or even better than the coin itself,
> although its a real beaut!! I wish that I had a
> way of putting all the coins that just came from
> this site in some kind of wall plaque!!!! I just
> don't like those little coin envelope things that
> you staple. Any ideas on how y'all display your
> coins would be welcome.
> But seriously guys, I need to think
> realistically about this!!! I was merely at a
> great site for old coins!!!! I was very blessed
> to get to hunt it without fear of paying a
> tresspassing ticket. Actually, it's in a yard in
> the historical district of our town. Cars passing
> by and slowing down watching me. I just keep my
> eyes on the ground and listen to my tones.
> Sometimes I will offer a friendly wave. Sometimes
> not, especially if I am getting the 'mean-mug'
> from the passersby.
> I want to thank each of generously for your
> nice replies. And I want to thank Keith Southern,
> NasaTom, and several others, (I'm typing fast and
> cannot remember each name) for helping me to
> develop a technique. Peace and love to you all.
> Kevin
> PS (Reckon what this here thang is worth? Couple
> hundered bucks? )

outrageous find kevin! got lucky myself several years ago
in a base ball field of all places! found a 1 dollar gold piece in a bezel!
i "happy danced " all week! congratulations!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 08, 2012 12:18AM
A big congrats to a find of a lifetime Kevin!
And you had to really work for it too!
July 08, 2012 01:43AM
Golly gee that is one amazing find. That will keep the detecting juices going. I am with Tom, I would be way more excited finding something as challenging and as historical as your $1 gold coin then any gold ring any day. Very very cool!

Bryanna
July 08, 2012 02:25AM
Kevin,

Please 'edit' your post title to read: First gold COIN!!!!!!! (((as there is a world of difference between 'gold' and gold 'coin' )))

Substantially less than 1% of the detectorists in the world .... find a gold coin.
Re: First Gold Coin!!!!
July 08, 2012 02:49AM
Message title edited. I appreciate everyone's replies. It has been quite a day. This is quite a hobby, and a very rewarding one, (not monetarily speaking). Just sitting and wondering how all of those coins came to be where they where at, whether from Union soldier's who had had little to much to drink and getting careless, to possibly and old house with lots of children, with lots of money. I don't know. But it sure is fun trying to unravel the mystery. Thanks again for everyone's wonderful replies. Makes me feel real good knowing that I have accomplished such a feat today.
July 08, 2012 04:19AM
Great find Kevin!

I too am lucky enough to know the feeling of finding one of those. I was in a local park enjoying a very early morning sunrise when I found mine. I even had to ask my dad if it was real. Mine was the Type II version in very good shape also.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
July 08, 2012 04:29AM
awesome find kevin! congrats!!
July 08, 2012 05:51AM
Awesome!! Congrats! I hope to join that club one day as well. GL on finding more goodies at your site as well.

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"