Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I found a 190? Indian Head with the Deus! (w/ pics)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I found a 190? Indian Head with the Deus! (w/ pics)
July 14, 2012 07:23PM
I know, not much to brag about. Please, I'm not fishing for pats on the back. But while hunting this old homesite (that I have pounded with my other machines) the family next door came out an we got to talking. The house they live in was built in 1901. I guess you already know what was going through my mind as we were talking. Here's how i went about asking permission. They had just asked m how much a body could get a nice cheap detector for. I told them about the ACE250 and the F2. I then said this: If y'all decide NOT to get a detector (they are NOT the type, I don't think) I would like first chance to detect your front yard. I then pointed to the back yard, which has a little rise in the ground on it. I asked them and was granted permission to hunt the backyard all I want. I am hoping that it has been unmolested and pristine since the house was built. I MAY find me a bottle dump back 'air. And the yard may be just chock full of silver thimbles, Confederate buttons and bullets, gold dollars, etc etc,. Or......it may be a nail here, an old barn hinge there. But right now, before I hunt it, my mind is saying: WHAT IF!...................And that adds to the fun of this wonderful hobby. This is just a hobby my friends. No need to get worked up over anything. These are just tools, like Daniel said, and 100 years form now, none of this will matter. We'll be gone. Life is short. Let's enjoy one anothers company while we still can. Back to the Indian Head that I found this morning: I found it in the empty lot (use to be an old house, but a dozer has been there because I have found aluminum cans 10 inches deep in parts of it. But around the edges, the ground is still like it was. Boy, when I washed that penny off and saw the points on the headdress start appearing I thought: ALRIGHT!!!!!!!! For a one hour hunt, the old Deus done me right!!!!!!! Have a super great weekend guys. Find a spot of ground and go swing a while this evening!!!!!! It's hot, but so what. Just stay a short while. Have fun. Happy Hunting to each of you. Kevin Blankenship

I found this penny at about 4 inches down I guess. Pretty rough, ain't it. But I got more than a ruff penny's worth of fun out of digging it!!!!! I enjoy this hobby. Alot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 07:43PM by Kevin B.
jrk
Re: I found a 190? Indian Head with the Deus! (w/ pics)
July 14, 2012 08:19PM
Awesome Kevin! Trying to get out myself with the large coil.

Randy
July 14, 2012 08:33PM
Nice...scoring an oldtimer like that! 100+ years old! Congrats!

I don't have enough IH cents to get jaded yet....I've got three and remember exactly when and where I found them. They are FUN to find for sure!

Regards, Joe (California)
July 14, 2012 09:24PM
I got out with my Deus today also. I also scored 1 Indian from 1900. Mine is a little better shape than yours. Not much. I thought I had two Indians, but the Green revealed a wheat. So todays tally is three wheats and 1 Indian. We had rain here, but three inches down the dirt is dry.

I also had to old school on my hunt. I forgot my Propointer at home. Talk about being spoiled. I forgot what hunting without one was like. Waving dirt in front of the coil. How barbaric!

I set up a program from another web site on the Deus. Man that program looked awful good in my living room. Too bad I hated it out in the field. I finally figured out that the best thing for me to do is tweak Basic 1 for each site. It only takes a few minutes and then I am done.

At least I got out and found an old coin. I can take that into my work week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 09:25PM by goodmore.
July 14, 2012 10:30PM
I like those Injun head cents. They are one of my favorites. Just got home from picking up my new to me Deus and have it charging now. Have been up 26 hrs straight as of this message at 6:30 p.m. EST...and its time to crash lol Wanted to play with it a bit this evening but don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe I will have luck shine my way with the Deus when I take it out. I have several spots in mind and have the next several days off from work...and its rained here for about 5 days straight so maybe the ground is soft.
July 14, 2012 10:32PM
Yes, we have had rain everyday, but once you pull up your plug, the bottom half is trying to crumble since the rain is insufficient. That means the crops need more! Congrats on the Indian Head and the Wheatie. And thanks for the other replies as well. It is raining straight down here in Savannah right now. We need the rain here in Tennessee and I bet that other states are lacking it as well. Happy Hunting friends!!!
July 15, 2012 01:29AM
Daniel, I didn't even see your post. We posted so close together. You are likely crashed as I type this and it won't be long until I do the same, but you will love the Deus. I am anxious to see what you learn about it. And I am especially anxious to see your videos with it if'n ya make any. I tell ya one thing: The Deus REALLY DOES open up sites that you have pounded with other detectors. I am talking nail infested sites and such. There WILL BE more hi tones to dig. Just watch and see.
July 15, 2012 01:46AM
I actually caught my 5th or 6th wind....ain't crashed yet lol Deus charged fast and I had to try it out in the yard. Impressed with it in my test garden with just factory settings. The only thing it don't hit is my 12" minie ball but as said before, I took it from factory settings and it was dark. We've been blessed with several inches of rain for the past 5 days. Good soaking rain. I dug a plug about 10" and it was all wet and good for detecting. I knew I wanted a Deus after hunting with the one Don brought up that we tested with the Blisstool. I can't get over how light and little it is.
July 15, 2012 06:20PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually caught my 5th or 6th wind....ain't
> crashed yet lol Deus charged fast and I had to try
> it out in the yard. Impressed with it in my test
> garden with just factory settings. The only thing
> it don't hit is my 12" minie ball but as said
> before, I took it from factory settings and it was
> dark. We've been blessed with several inches of
> rain for the past 5 days. Good soaking rain. I dug
> a plug about 10" and it was all wet and good for
> detecting. I knew I wanted a Deus after hunting
> with the one Don brought up that we tested with
> the Blisstool. I can't get over how light and
> little it is.
Whew boy howdy! I know that you get sick of hearing this, but I just gotta say it again. I can't wait until you have a chance to really put your Deus through its paces and discover stuff about it that my NON-analytical mind just passes right by. It sounds like I am down-talking myself, but I'm not really. I'm quite fond of me (in the right way) but I have learned this about myself: I am not a quick learner or a good observer of these detectors. I just set it up in one program and let er rip. And in so doing, pas right over stuff. For instance, I NEVER use 4 or 8 khz. The man (Alain???) included them for a reason. I'd like to think that the 4 different frequencies where engineered into the unit TO BE USED at different scenarios/sites. Or maybe, it is just to give ya four different ways to look into the ground at the SAME site. I DON'T want to think that this option was included just to make it look better to the paying customer, to ease the pain of parting with close to 2000 buckaroos. But, in iron infested sites, the 18 khz seems to be top dawg. I learned this from a man who's been detecting many more years than me. And then I hear some say (and it may very well be so) that the Deus was designed around the 12 khz (or 13? I forget which) frequency and it operates a bit better there. I read and listen to all of this, and I respect it because the folks who are saying it are good people and much much smarter at this stuff than me. Hence......4 and 8 khz never gets used by me. I guess I ought to 'be a man' and not just a follower and hit some of my sites and use ONLY 8 khz someday. And then 4 another day. Better yet, everytime I get a good signal under the coil, keep my menu on frequency and sweep the target using all 4 frequencies making mental notes of how the machine's behavior differs with each one. But I'm not smart enough to think of that. LOL
July 15, 2012 07:19PM
Tested today with more in ground stuff...my main curiosity was to see how big or little of an impact frequency played on known in ground targets. To be honest I didn't see that much of a change in its performance via just swapping frequencies. Or would I be better off by saying not much measurable difference as far as response/depth. The big change I saw was on a bullet at about 7 inches in ground. The upper 18 freq didn't like it as well as the 8 and 12. Between the 8 and 12 I couldn't tell much if any measured difference on the bullet. Maybe that advantage comes out clearer in heavy trash or iron. The reactivity setting seems to have the biggest impact that I've seen as far as setting changes go. I was surprised how just one number either way would kill the response of my in ground targets. I'm off all this week so I will be hitting a few real world spots that I've hunted hard before. Most are specifically heavy iron sites. I pulled several flat buttons out of one of them with the Blisstool but certain spots I had to walk away from because of the sheer amount of iron signals. The smaller coil on the Deus will hopefully help in that particular site. Not interested in taking it to the bullet site cause I already seen it does OK there and that's what the Bliss is for anyway.