Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seeing more listings with the CTX For Sale?

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seeing more listings with the CTX For Sale?
July 17, 2012 10:36AM
Guess it is not for everyone. Wonder what they did not like about it?? I am still debating on one but still thinking about another E Trac. Wish fisher would hurry as I really would like to see what they have on the drawing board first!
Re: Seeing more listings with the CTX For Sale?
July 17, 2012 11:42AM
Except for the beach side its the tones drive them nuts or weight. Same as the other FBS models.
July 17, 2012 01:25PM
Reading between the lines I think they feel previous explorer series is hard to beat for silver and the same goes for CZ21 or Excalibur for water hunting.

I am sure it may have its advantages but is it worth the pricetag comes to mind along why fix what ain't broke.

Seems to me some are having second thoughts and going back to what worked for them.

Indeed like Sonny wonder what Fishers new unit will be and only time will tell...
July 17, 2012 01:35PM
My thing has always been NEVER sell a machine until its paid for its self....... why? That gives you time to learn the machine and know for sure it aint for you. You are going to see sell of any new machines..... its not for everyone. Several of them are salt water hunters hoping FBS would be like having a water proof ET in the water with advantages. Learning later that simple works best on the beach.... it was a little to complicted. As with most detectors at first your finds decline..... i think dirt diggers that stay with it may find it has a few advantages once learned.

Dew
July 17, 2012 03:00PM
VERY GOOD REASON
July 17, 2012 03:23PM
Well I like mine...I just need to figure it out...have buddies ,that are finding al kinds of stuff....Think I still like the E-TRAC..Maybe I just need to stop changing things on it(sure is fun to play with...like a kid with a video game...guess you never grow up!). I think when you get pretty good with a machine ....it is hard to change....don"t you feel like every new detector is going to be the ONE!!!! . Take it easy!
July 17, 2012 03:57PM
Let's say somebody wants to get into both water and dirt detecting or even somebody who would like to upgrade both his water and land machines.
So he calls Kellyco and says "I'd like to order an Excal II and an Etrac please".
Kellyco says "Sure! Just send us $2898 and we'll get both of them right out to ya!!"

You can readily see that $2499 for a new CTX 3030 would be a BARGAIN in that situation.
July 17, 2012 04:04PM
I really like my CTX over the E-Trac. I agree one should keep a machine for a while before selling to learn it's language and see what it can do.

That said, the CTX is a lot of money for a 20% or so increase in performance (my estimate). If you don't water hunt it is hard to accept that amount - And I don't! But I loved the E-Trac (and hated the balance) enough to take a chance. Now I can hunt with next to no pain.

Since I don't have a car though (can't travel too far), that 20% improvement means I can go back to my hunted out sites and start pulling coins. Depending on the spot, that 20% has been 50% as I'm getting a lot more deeper targets (just by an inch or so) and in other spots it's like 5% as there isn't much trash or iron to mask targets. In those spots, stick with the E-Trac.

In Europe I haven't seen any for sale yet (used ones). People here are a bit slower to buy and sell I think. ehehhe

Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:23PM by earthmansurfer.
July 17, 2012 11:24PM
Well I tried one a couple weeks back. First of all I have arm/shoulder issues,And even though it is balance good for a machine of that weight it was still to much for my arm to swing. I swung it for about a 5 hour hunt and my arm felt like it was going to fall off! But I did find a silver Quarter, silver dime, 9'' wheat penny and a buffalo. The next day I decided there was no way my arm would get used to it so I sold it and got another E-trac. Let me say that with the E-trac I used the X-8 Sunray coil 80% of the time. But even with the stock pro coil it is just easier for my arm to swing as I guess every arm is different. But I repeat it had nothing to do with the performance of the Detector as it was awesome. I knew though with my issues I would not have any fun swinging it,And in the end isn't that what it is all about? And one last thing it doesn't have that sweet Minelab Explorer/Etrac silver warble that I'm addicted to!
July 18, 2012 12:30AM
Albert.......isn't it interesting what another 3/4" to 1" additional depth will do? And................ at that depth......... the targets are not new/clad. You may find a lot less.............. going back into these hunted-out fields............... but................ what few/little additional finds you make........... are old/valued............. possibly more than quantifying all previous hunts (with all other detectors).
July 18, 2012 02:47PM
Tom - It is interesting as I am only detecting 8 years or so and it's only in the last few years that I've been able to hunt the same spots again and again - with different machines. It's funny to do so and start finding coins at a depth where the last detector left off. At my spot in question, the V3i was hitting everything down to 6" cleanly and iffy on non silver at 7". I really thought I'd find more below that as the area goes back to the late 1800's (and much much before that the Celtics I found out). Then I got an E-Trac to test that theory and was finding coins at 1" and sometimes 2" below the V3i level. Then the CTX and I was still at that 1" and 2" beyond the V3i level but I was getting more fringe (next to iron) 8" coins and then more 9" coins. The percentage of 9" coins went up. 9" still seems the max on non silver coins in my ground, at least thus far.

Again I have to close with "I'm looking forward to that new Fisher CZ." I hear some people get better depth with them than the E-Trac and since my ground isn't terribly iron mineralized and since the CZ will no doubt be cheaper and lighter than the CTX, I will have to take a look at it.

Harold - "Funny" you should say that for I've said I feel the CTX more in my shoulders than the E-Trac, but I felt the E-Trac more in my back. I think you are also correct in that it depends on the injury. I think my shoulder strengthened from swinging the CTX as it doesn't bother me much now. But you are right, you feel the weight and even though there isn't much pain in my back (only on all day hunts might there be some) I would much prefer a lighter unit, hence (partly) my CZ comment.

Albert
July 18, 2012 04:18PM
I really think weight is a non issue on ANY machine,,,,,, if you have pain from what-ever MD you swing,,,,,, there is an easy fix for this,,,,,, why get rid of the MD if it works for you just because it's heavy ? You don't have to !!!! build a bungee sling,,,,
[www.findmall.com]
you can do this with ANY MD and it works !!!
July 18, 2012 06:41PM
Albert............... there's merit (read = additional depth) in ever-increasing 'skill-set'.................... coupled with a enhanced performance level from a new electronic platform (in your case....... the CTX-3030).

Ever-increasing skill-set is very difficult to measure.
July 19, 2012 10:53AM
"Again I have to close with "I'm looking forward to that new Fisher CZ." I hear some people get better depth with them than the E-Trac and since my ground isn't terribly iron mineralized and since the CZ will no doubt be cheaper and lighter than the CTX, I will have to take a look at it. "

ALBERT
DOES THIS STATEMENT INDICATE THAT THE NEW CZ IS ALREADY BEING TESTED???????????????????? What say Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 06:22PM by sonny(IN).
July 19, 2012 12:19PM
Sonny - if the approximate release date is the end of this year, I'd say it's safe to say that they have been testing it for a couple of years now. I have no info, got everything here and Dave J. Didn't at all deny it on Finds. You can google and find what we know as I don't have links.
July 19, 2012 02:30PM
I guess I was under the impression that you had received some first hand knowledge since you stated that it was getting better depth than the e trac. assumed you knew something about who was testing. And you said it would be cheaper and lighter than the ctx. hope you are correct in all areas...
July 19, 2012 03:55PM
Some have found the CTX (like other FBS machines) falses too much *for them on their particular beach* and have moved back to the Xcal or Sovereign. I even read where a few guys moved back because the audio of the CTX just didn't give them enough information to avoid obvious and common trash at certain beach sites, such as the foil off the top of a drinking bottle. One of the major strengths of the BBS machines is both their stability and their detailed long drawn out audio.

Read where one guy couldn't get the CTX to hit on targets he's had buried in his coin garden for years, while both the Xcal and Sovereign had no problem with them. He mentioned he tried every possible setting he could think of on the CTX and still it couldn't do any better. I believe that may be one of those "certain types of minerals" issue, as I've seen this point raised by many BBS guys *in their soil* versus an FBS machine. I've experienced this same thing myself, because my GT with stock 10" coil still ran smoother and was deeper than my prior 3 Explorers also using a 10" coil. I believe that might have more to do with the poor 10" coils on the Explorers IMO because the 10" Tornado is a much better coil to me, but it might also have something to do with the higher frequencies of FBS running into issues with certain ground minerals in certain areas..As most of us know that higher frequencies tend to have more trouble penetrating certain soils.

Still some others I've read had found that the added features were more of a negative in their minds for certain types of hunting. Water hunters, in particular, really don't need a screen and complex settings they must first be able to see the screen to change, while something like an Xcal has simple dial controls that you can adjust by feel and without even needing to look at the controls. I like staring at and using a computer screen myself and miss that on my Explorers on some days, but I'm also the kind of person who can't help but keep thinking "is this or that set right, or maybe I should change this to that for this site". Those kinds of constant thoughts would often ruin my peace of mind while hunting. Sure, most days I could just let that kind of stuff go, but on other days it would dog me the entire hunt with doubts. There is something to be said for simplicity. As life gets more complex, I think more people will long for more basic things. For instance, all I want my cell phone to do is ring when somebody calls. I don't need it giving me updates on the weather when I can just look out the window.

But anyway...Yes...I too have noticed more and more CTXs up for sale lately. Like I said before, it will be interesting to see how much web buzz there is on this machine say about 6 months from now when the initial rush of buyers who just have to try everything new is over with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 06:13PM by critterhunter.
July 19, 2012 04:11PM
Regarding water hunting I have to agree I don't like having to look at a screen and that's what I like about the Tiger Shark, there's alot of information in its tones variances.

With regards the CTX and water hunting, that screen is very difficult to see in bright sun, and when it's under water forget it. Otherwise I say it works pretty good as a water machine, though that's not what I bought it for.

I'm still holding in go my Etrac, I just like that machine too much.
July 19, 2012 06:06PM
Sonny, I wasn't clear. I was meaning "Some people say CZ's get better depth than E-Tracs." I kind of jumped over that a bit.

I do wonder how much the problems with CTX's in the surf is going to affect sales. I think not much as I get the feeling that the CTX was just an E-Trac upgrade for most people. That is too bad as it would have been nice for those that really want one machine to surf and turf hunt - I think Minelab made a mistake there. Wonder if they can fix things (some) with an update???

Regarding used units up for sale:
I have seen zero in Europe
I have seen none on Ebay in the states (I check occasionaly)
On Finds in the last month I see:
one from 3 days ago that sold in 4 hours.
one from the 13th and the seller said they are buying a standard pack from a dealer (selling the starter)
another new in box and never used
So, one "real" for sale used item in a month on Finds - that is extremely small. Critter (and others), where are you seeing units for sale "lately"?

Hey, I may the first to sell mine in Europe if that Fisher CZ is close in performance and half the weight for half the money. winking smiley
July 19, 2012 06:12PM
I've seen more eTracs for sale than I have anything else...people going TO the CTX from the eTrac.

There ain't a do it all machine for sure. The FBS stuff is neat technology but it does lack in a lot of areas. I have a home site I had hunted for several months with several different coils on the eTrac that I had. I dug a lot of silver and wheat cents out of that yard and had hunted it running basically an open pattern digging everything. I was looking for a quick place to hunt yesterday before church and decided to give it a shot there with the Deus. The Deus doesn't appear to go as deep as the eTrac did...but what I ended up doing was digging targets non stop for the hour I was there. Recovered 3 more wheat cents...no silver but still 3 wheat cents and a whole bunch of misc brass and other pieces of metal. How there was THAT many signals left there...I have no idea unless it was masking taking place because nothing was over 5 inches deep. I'm finding this to be true at every site I've taken it to thus far that I've hunted with other machines. Nothing big as of yet...but the sheer AMOUNT of targets is what is crazy.
July 19, 2012 06:31PM
Daniel - I know people said the E-Trac did well in iron but I only found that to be true if it was moderate and not heavy. I just can't swing at a crawl as some suggest. There is only one spot that I hunted with the Deus and the CTX both (at separate times) and both machines were pulling up a fair amount of targets that the E-Trac missed. The CTX is noticeably more sensitive on smaller targets but not as much as the Deus (and I actually like that as I am a coin hunter). Yeah, the Deus doesn't get the same depth as either but it's separation is just amazing. The CTX is not that far behind it but hard to compare a 9" and 11" coil. When the Deus has that 11" coil, I think we'll be able to really compare apples and apples. The VID on the CTX is just amazing, noticeabley more stable than the E-Trac (and the E-Trac is 10X better than the Deus there, if that is important to you). I do hope the Deus update does something with a more solid VID's in general and at depth not cutting out (important when I hunt more modern sites, which is mostly what I hunt).

I do wish the CTX would have been in a Deus like package and just water resistant... sad smiley
July 19, 2012 06:38PM
I haven't followed the Europe detecting scene that closely but aren't Minelabs less popular over there? People seem to be more fond of faster machines for covering large old crop fields faster without the need to slow down as much due to the heavy amounts of iron is what I always thought I've read. Not that the Minelabs won't do wonders in their own way of pulling coins out of iron, but you can't cover a large open field nearly as fast as you can with a fast machine in that respect when there is iron everywhere. Also, the gist of what I've always also got the impression of was that they tended to favor machines with more small target sensitivity than a Minelab for the reasons of tiny little coins and other artifacts that a Minelab doesn't have as good of sensitivity to as some other machines.

If all that impression is right in my superficial understanding of the European scene, then it wouldn't be surprising that you don't see many CTXs up for sale there because not nearly as many people are buying them compared to other detector brands.

I will say this, though, about the lack of even large amounts of them up for sale used in the US. This machine is so new and in demand by small dealers waiting on stock, that one could easily return the machine and get probably about as much for it from a dealer needing used stock of this machine as they could by selling it privately. That's my opinion anyway.

And, how many Ex-CTX guys do you expect to see publicly even selling a machine on the web if they don't want to sell it back to a dealer? Just to avoid embarrassment if not harassment some will probably opt to sell it on a more "local" level to a friend or a local hunter via Craigslist anonymously. That's also why I'm even suprised to see the negative remarks I have thus far from people. The way those who even raise concerns have been ganged up on on the web, I don't expect too many people care to tell their reasons for having issues with it, let alone that they got rid of one for various reasons. It makes me wonder just how much more is bubbling under the surface, even from those who still do plan to keep the machine but have some issues with it, who just don't want to stick their neck out and voice a public opinion.

Heck, I even saw one guy who had a CTX up for sale in a FOR SALE forum get jumped on by a guy who openly posted something like "Why do you want to sell your CTX? You've got to learn the machine!", or words to that effect along those lines. This was in a FOR SALE forum mind you, not another forum where that kind of conversation can be expected to happen. People are made out to be dumb or just not being able to understand a machine when they sell it. Why would anybody want to openly subject themselves to that kind of criticism.

That is true of all machines, but that kind of thing is at a hyper pitch when a machine is new. I can think of two current examples of new machines where it's b*lls to the walls in terms of hyper-phobia resentment to any kind of negative remarks, used against even those who still see other merits to the machine and are keeping it for other reasons. This kind of fever pitch to justify a purchase by strongly dismissing the opinions of others always happens, but it's even more intense when a new machine hits the market and people who bought one want to justify it as the best thing since sliced bread, and so will try to squash or discourage any opinions otherwise.

One other curious thing...Is it just me (?) or have you guys also noticed a lack of Excaliburs or GT's up for sale. Seems like a lot of Etracs but not much in the way of other Minelabs. Perhaps Explorers have increased in used sales a bit too, but it seems like those more prone to own an Etrac are the ones who have sold it to move on and try this new machine. I think it's odd too that the Sovereign has always been much harder to find used (any of the models) compared to an Explorer, and that the GT is holding it's used price at levels well above what Explorers are going for. I've even seen SE Pros going for less than you can usually find a GT for. I'm not positive but I think the going rate for a used GT with meter is about $750 to more probably about $850 or so. Anybody? It's not like I watch this stuff closely so correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 07:39PM by critterhunter.
July 19, 2012 06:41PM
Earthmansurfer, did you see the field report on undug targets where the Deus and CTX were compared? At least on bullets if I remember right the CTX couldn't hear many of the found targets and they weren't masked either. That's from memory, though...I should dig up that field comparison and refresh my memory on it. The gist of what I hear is that the Deus indeed doesn't get Minelab depth on coins in some soils, but that extensive head to head report had me scratching my head and wondering about the validity of that. I await more in depth field reports on comparisons of it to various Minelabs...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 06:44PM by critterhunter.
July 19, 2012 07:45PM
We did a similar test on Civil War bullets at one of my bad dirt sites with the CTX, Deus, and Blisstool. I think we located and tested 9 bullets that day, and the CTX didn't get a signal on any of them...wide open field, no masking. I wasn't impressed at all with it...but we didn't video any of the CTX stuff because Don had only had it out a handful of times at that point and was afraid of getting chopped off at the neck if I posted a video showing that. It reminded me a lot of the eTrac in that regard...great machine for picking out COINS...but certainly not great if the objects weren't round. It liked round and high conductive things well...but stunk on mid to high conductors that weren't round.

I was impressed with the Deus that day on how it handled really bad soil. The only Minelab machine to do well in that soil is the GPX. I've had people from all over to come up and test their units at that one particular bullet site...and they have all left scratching their heads. I'm not on top of all the Minelabs, but at one time I was interested in getting a Soverign and posted messages on the forum asking if anybody locally had one...and if so, if they didn't mind getting with me on a freebie relic hunt to let me see how it handled the dirt. I have had two guys come down with two different models...I remember one was the Soverign Elite and the other was a GT. Both of them claimed to be extremely familiar with their units and had never seen soil they couldn't handle...til they came to my bullet site. On most of the bullets I located that day and let them signal check, they couldn't even get their threshold to break. On the others...that's about all they got, was barely a break in threshold. I had an Excalibur II myself for water hunting the freshwater beaches here and it didn't do well either. I sold it and got a AT Pro and revisted some of those water holes...signals began coming out like magic.

I did learn something post hunt about the Deus. When Don plugged in the settings for it....we didn't know that it didn't auto save the settings. So in the video where we were testing it, it had actually gone back to the factory preset setting instead of the setting that Keith had sent us to try, because we had turned it off. That may have made a big difference in making it even better...it was no slouch the way that it was but in the video you can hear the Bliss is actually doing better on the bullets...but as noted now, that was with the Deus in factory presets instead of Keith's settings. It will be an interesting relic season this year with new machines.
July 19, 2012 11:17PM
Critterhunter - My question was "where are you seeing units for sale "lately"?" I just don't see them for sale. You posted a lot and never answered my question?

Honestly and I don't mean this in a bad way, but I have never seen a person write as much and as often about a machine and have never used it (in you). You sound like a great detectorist and that just doesn't make much sense to me as you know you got to get that machine in your hands. If it is so easy to sell or return back to the dealer, then try it! I would love to hear your comments - good and bad - I know I'd learn from you as you are detail oriented.

I don't shy away from those on the forum who are aggressive (in relation to your comments about criticism and such) - I come with facts, experience, etc and that seems to quiet things down. I have been critical of the CTX over at finds initially (the speaker not turning off issue) and speak out quite often, but always with facts, not personal. I don't agree with people attacking others who have criticisms of a machine. That said, I have noticed a little bit of what you said, as far as people attacking my criticisms and the interesting thing was they were usually new members and joined right when the machine was released! I think Minelab has some crowd control going on. But it doesn't imply it's a bad machine. I have to say, the CTX is a great great machine. I do have a few complaints, but nothing major. I can say pretty confidently that it is better than the E-Trac. (not 1000 bucks better!). I still worry about more coils for it and wonder about the depth of that 6" - I haven't heard great things so far regarding depth.

Minelabs are very very popular in Europe - at least going by the forums and seeing what is for sale around. The quick machines are quite popular as well, but moreso for those that hunt plowed. I don't have numbers though and could be wrong. But, I see none for sale here and 1 on Finds in the last month, so again, I'm real curious about what you are saying.

Regarding the CTX and Deus on bullets. I think that was totally the ground. In my ground the VID on the Deus cut out at 6"-7" and was very jumpy at the 5" range. The deepest targets I dug (in my limited time) were comparable to the CTX - but much much less and none of them had any VID - I really don't like that kind of guesswork. I have very good ears, albeit I couldn't have learned the sound that quick. But even Evan over on Finds, who has a CTX and Deus said the same thing regarding deep targets and sound. You are just gonna dig a lot more deep junk with the Deus. Very small targets had the VID cut out at 3" or so - that was really annoying and I couldn't learn a way around it using pinpoint, lifting the coil, etc. It just didn't fit my style.
July 21, 2012 08:01PM
Hey, I don't tell others what to post about and so the deal is I post what I want too. Nobody forces anybody to read. That's what the scroll bar is for. I use it all the time when certain names pop up on various forums. Scroll bar away--->

OK, if you still area reading this...When the CTX first came out I saw one or two quick turn around sales on the net. It's not like I watch that stuff myself too close but I have noticed more and more lately without even looking. That's what I mean. I've seen several up for sale lately and I wasn't even trying to look for that. Don't be surprised. No machine, no matter how good it is, is perfect. The CTX will have its strengths, but it will have it's weaknesses, just like any other machine. If it didn't it wouldn't have been made on this planet. Do you really think it's that good and so flawless that it can meet the needs of all others? Nope, there's only been one thing on earth that ever did that...And if the CTX was the same thing it wouldn't be under the water...It'd be walking on it. :')
July 21, 2012 09:17PM
Critterhunter - You tell me, does it look like I think the CTX is perfect and flawless? (I wrote this on finds and had mentioned some CTX shortcomings here and there):

Thus far I have been pretty happy with the CTX. I will try to break my comments down:

Performance - Noticeably faster and better separation than the E-Trac. It doesn't necessarily go deeper but I'm finding more coins at 9" with the CTX than I did with the E-Trac, in a much less time. (9" is the max thus far). The way it hits the 9" coins I think I will start finding some 10" coins. 50 Conductive falses way too much compared to Combine but I'm able to get it to perform regardless. I do run it hot though, at least most of the time. I love the shortcuts and user button and layout - Minelab got that right and I bet they aren't finished! VERY EASY to move around the menu. I will stress this point, very nice Minelab.
The performance of the CTX is not hugely superior to the E-Trac, but it is noticeably better (I'll guess and say 20% ish). I'm guessing the E-Trac hits on most targets the CTX finds, albeit with a less accurate VID and not as strongly. The E-Trac will miss some of the deeper targets or targets closer to iron/trash. If you don't hunt in bad ground or high iron / trashy conditions, I wouldn't think the upgrade to be worth it.

Build Quality - Top Quality. Can't complain. The stems fit tight and I like that. Very sturdy unit and it also looks nice.

Ergonomics/Weight - They got the balance spot on, just perfect. The reason I tried the CTX is because the E-Trac's balance was terrible and I loved it so much (just clicked with it) and didn't want to keep searching for a machine that worked in my soil after so many had failed. I now have a few 5 hours hunts and I do feel the weight but not like the E-Trac. I would have preferred a 3lb E-Trac to be honest. The handle, for me, is at the right angle and has the perfect thickness. I love not having a foam grip! The only thing with ergonomics that I still think is off is the pinpoint button. It is above the forefinger and not angled down towards it. It is mostly easy to adjust to this though - but still gets me after 40 hours of use.

Screen Quality - For a color screen it is subpar in my opinion. Had I not had a V3i I might not say that. (The V3i is how many years old now and the CTX's color screen, though it clearly has more pixels, is just kind of blah.) Sort of sad considering the cost of the machine. (Now, if the sun is just coming up or about down it looks pretty good). If they could add some contrast and more vibrant colors I will change my opinion. But the colors and contrast is sort of flat - Just look at most of my videos. I mean, there IS NOT a contrast adjustment - that is weird. It's a bit hard to see where your disc pattern is at times as it is sooo faint. (Depends on outdoor conditions though.) I switch between patterns fairly often and sometimes am in the wrong one as one is minimal and the other open (when sun or the like is out it is easy to do). The VID numbers mostly cover the clock and if you run hot (like I do), the clock is almost always covered - hope they allow us to move something in an update.

Special functions - I do like target trace and target trace pinpoint. Target Trace doesn't seem to do much beyond 6" or 7" so in my ground but it is giving a lot more information via the splattering. I like that much more than the target trace alone. The ferrous coin ground setting has made a HUGE difference in my iron mineralized ground and sites with more iron. I am most looking forward to what upgrades Minelab adds. That is exciting and a big improvement imo - to have upgrades. Being waterproof is great as far as cleaning the unit and hunting in rain goes. Having it waterproof to 10ft probably added a lot to the cost and I bet most don't ever use that, so I would have preferred water resistant and a cheaper price. The GPS feature, thus far is mostly unused but I will play with it more at more open locations. It is handy for keeping track of larger sites.

Price - Pick your currency, I'd say the unit should sell for 1900 bucks or so. The technology is improved and the waterproofing is great, but the price seems really exaggerated. The AT Pro which costs 600 or so bucks is waterproof to 10ft as well so I can't justify a 2500 buck price tag because of that. Essentially, we have a unit very similar to the E-Trac with maybe 20% or so better performance, not really more depth, but it sells for almost double the price. I could see that being worth it if the depth was 3" or so more. Think about this. This is not a criticism, I'm really looking at the unit and wondering how they charged so much. It is a great unit, no doubt, but I can't justify the cost. But here is the thing - sites are getting pretty hunted out. And if the CTX gives you that edge in those sites AND word gets out, they will come. :chase:

Overall - I really like the unit, my favorite unit by far thus far - not close (So don't take my criticisms the wrong way). Performance is what matters most and that has been improved on over the E-Trac. I still say, had they built a fast and light and just water resistant E-Trac (basically a CTX light in a way) they would have killed the market. Thus far, at least from my reading forums, the CTX seems like an E-Trac upgrade for most. I don't think a lot of guys are using it at the beach or underwater - I haven't seen any stats.

Well, I didn't plan on writing a mini review, but so be it,
Albert
July 21, 2012 10:33PM
Well written Albert. Thanks -
July 21, 2012 11:46PM
I agree. A very honest review of your detector. It is much appreciated. I'm still on the fence with this model. I know I won't be pulling any triggers until next Spring, but I am looking for a salt water unit. Bagging my old Sovereign just didn't work out. Yes it leaked in my tub test. I will consider this unit because of the waterproof ability.

So thanks for the honesty. I love this forum for that. No moderator slap downs. Just an honest review by an honest man.

Some time I would like a brief discription on metal detecting in Germany.

Do others do it?
Is it like England where you have to submit your finds?
Do people let you on private property? I noticed you said sites were being hit hard.
Do the Nazi objects draw a fascination? When I was there ( in the eighties) people were still trying to forget the Nazi thing. Almost like a shame. I find them fascinating myself. I know in some of Europe like France Nazi items are taboo.

Just wondering. And thanks for all your videos. I get around to the other forums. I watch them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 11:48PM by goodmore.
July 21, 2012 11:51PM
Albert,

Thanks for your honest, candid, professional reports. You are providing a value-added base-platform foundation for the overall performance of the 3030.