Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting River Banks

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting River Banks
July 22, 2012 03:42PM
Surprised that I have not read where people are finding items along the river banks since the water level is low. I remember a couple years back when I read about all the items that were being found along river banks due to the lower water levels. Anyone heard of such this year?
Re: Hunting River Banks
July 23, 2012 04:34AM
There's a couple guys on the ATPro forum posting
July 23, 2012 05:57AM
I wish we could hunt them here. Our problem in Tennessee is that most of our rivers are dammed up by TVA for electric purposes or flood control...and nearly every inch of river bank is owned by TVA...in which they don't allow detecting. You can get a permit to metal detect TVA beaches, campgrounds, and boat ramps but you cant use it to relic/artifact hunt on their property. They consider anything over 100 yrs old to be an artifact. Can't even legally pick an arrowhead off the river bank on TVA land.
July 23, 2012 11:59AM
Looked it up. TVA, Tennessee Valley Authorita. A Federally owned corporation in the US. covers about seven states. Created in 1933 to provide navigation, flood control, electricity generation, fertilizer mfg, and economic development in the Tennessee Valley.
Doesn't that get your goat. So all the relics will deteorate and no one gets them to show or circulate amongst the people. What a waste of actual history. Seems like the archaeologist community would have the relics/artifacts wast away rather than detectorists find them....makes no sense to me, can someone explain this ?? I don't get it.
July 23, 2012 02:25PM
My most productive honey hole is a river bank. Unfortunately, the part of the bank that is usually under water and it's exposed right now is made of a clay where A) everything sinks a couple of feet deep and cool smiley dynamite is needed to break the clay once it hardens.

However, the part I hunt is always above the water and has been used for over a hundred years by people to hang out

Pinpoint twice, dig once