Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For Micro-Jewelry Hunters...

Posted by Miser 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For Micro-Jewelry Hunters...
August 19, 2012 10:36PM
I found bought something today I have not yet tried in the field, but looks like it might be a perfect device when hunting the dry sand of the beach for micro jewlery.

Its a sand sifter used by pet reptile owners to clean their tanks.

You can pick one up at any big box pet retailer (I got mine at Petsmart).

You can also go to the website and type in "sand sifter". It comes right up.

It is shaped like child's beach shovel, only wider.

Hard metal frame, wire mesh is very tightly woven, with a nice handle to hold on to.

Just a heads up for anyone who might be interested.
Re: For Micro-Jewelry Hunters...
August 19, 2012 11:10PM
METAL???!
August 20, 2012 12:33PM
Yes, metal.

Why is that a concern?
August 20, 2012 01:09PM
What kind of metal..... if it aint stainless or galvinized at least the salt in the sand will eat it up quickly and if you use it in the wet sand.... that thin can be gone the first time out. My Jeep rusts just thinking about going to the beach thats how hard the salt is on metal.

Dew
August 20, 2012 01:24PM
Since the non ferrous particles that 71khz GB II and others like it are able to pick up are so small, you can be staring straight at a tiny piece of dirty foil, aluminum ect. and not even see it. Hence the sifter for micro jewelry has to be made completely out of non metal so your able separate the sand from the target, just so in some cases so you can SEE the target. It can be very frustrating at times....especially if you don't have the proper sifter!

Tom has one he sells that's perfect for the dry sand.

Thanks anyway
August 20, 2012 07:43PM
smudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, metal.
>
> Why is that a concern?

You can not wave the sifter over the coil to see if you have it inside... it'll sound off.
August 20, 2012 08:17PM
That too...
August 20, 2012 08:25PM
A couple of thoughts:

Dewcon, you can't use detectors like the Gold Bug 2 in wet salt sand because because they cannot function there. Micro jewlery hunters have to stay in the dry sand only.

schultzie, I was thinking more in terms of scooping and then rescanning the area with the coil to see if if I got it.

Aaron: Rats. I hadn't thought of that. Oh well, nice idea while it lasted.