Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Texas,Dave J. offering, Tom you

Posted by John 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Texas,Dave J. offering, Tom you
September 06, 2012 01:14PM
have our interest up!!! lol Just talk about it a bit to keep us hungry.
I have never had a Fisher product. I am in the next few weeks going to purchase a Tejon. I have a ETrac now and a Whites XL Pro. Two slow responding detectors. I have had other Whites that are much faster in recovery speed.
I just want something that going to do well in a carpet of old nails and other types of rusted iron. Im not much for hunting in the city with the modern trash. I just like to hunt out in the country side.
Getting close to my hunting season. Temps will begin to fall now, finally.
HH,
John
Re: New Texas,Dave J. offering, Tom you
September 06, 2012 04:24PM
My intent is never to frustrate folks; yet, to let people know that FTP is not sleeping........ nor 'behind'.
September 06, 2012 05:29PM
After seeing what manufacturers have done the last few years, there are some clear openings for nice units to fall into. First things first, we have come a long way with weight and ergonomics and we really have to give it to Dave Johnson for getting a big part of that started. Looking at some features over the years, very few that I have seen are big improvements. As Lowboy said in another thread, things like the 3 frequency pinpoint on the V3i is quite a help in ID'ing targets (e.g., quarters vs. bottle caps by dominant frequency). The CTX is interesting with it's new way of displaying multiple targets - not really needed but interesting. I actually think the "splatter" from iron targets is of more use on the CTX and the V3i has something similar as well as some of the Tesoro's with displays (I believe). The way the Deus works sure is different.

Dave J. alluded to a new way of displaying data on Find's CZ forum, if memory serves me correct. Would love to see that. Outside of an E-Trac like 2D screen, what is unique out there?

I have been looking at Tesoros machines cause they are so light, and well, different. I noticed, they don't really have a VLF detector less than 10kHz in multitones, that gets depth. They have one in the Golden Umax at 10kHz, but the depth isn't good (no ground balance doesn't help). Just to their own clientel that have a huge market waiting for something a bit more. It would be interesting to see Tesoro take a tone only machine to another level and release something to reward their high end users or fans. I mean many of us have quite a few machines and would sell a few if one machine could do the job of them, so cost is a bit relative.

Deus took the ergonomics and weight of Dave J. and company's machines to another level. The CTX, though it has great balance is still 5 pounds. Had it been 2.5 pounds and in a portable Dues like package (and much less money) I think it would have taken the detecting world by storm and created a ruckus much like the Deus did when came out. Regardless of what we want, need, think, etc. it really is time for a company to release something that is really different, that really brings a change. It doesn't have to be a whole new technology, just ingeniousal use of something out there. I mean think of taking the BlissTools VLF depth and integrating it into a coin shooter or something that can have more thorough disc. Add an LCD panel. Look at some of the old BBS machines and the depth they are getting vs. FBS machines and then maybe add some more recovery speed and nice features, light weight, ergonomically friendly and affordable and walla! Would love to see a new Multi Frequency machine from someone. I did read on a forum that a European manufacturer is working on a new MF machine (don't have any info on that, just someone mentioned it as fact.)

It really is time for a company to step forward and do something unique.

Albert
September 06, 2012 07:46PM
Glad to see your reference to Tesoro here, I thought I was one of the few here that own one. I agree with you completely, Tesoro needs a multi tone machine that has some serious depth. While the Golden uMax is a fun coin shooter for parks, newer homesites, etc. its lack of depth(seems to max out at 6-7" is a big short coming for relics and older sites. I used one for 2 years and while I enjoyed using it, I always went back to the Vaquero(which I still own) to get the deeper older targets. Now if they could add 3 or 4 tones to the Vaquero I would be purchasing a new Tesoro.
September 06, 2012 08:00PM
If its in iron you hunt then the 75SE w 5"coil is hard to beat
September 06, 2012 08:47PM
Hi earthmansurfur.
Is it true that only detectors with less than 10kHz gets more depth or just Tesoro units that do not get the depth?
September 06, 2012 09:44PM
Hoochie Papa (great name!) - I am no expert on this and some of the other guys can add a lot more but from my experience I can say the following: I find lower frequency detectors (e.g., Omega 8000 @ 7kHz) to cut through my somewhat iron mineralized ground better than the higher ones (e.g., T2 at roughly double the Omega). This isn't always true though. There are some great higher frequency machines (e.g., Deus) that I've heard do well. Actually had a Deus and it did ok in my ground, better than my T2 for sure. But, I think most guys would agree that the multi frequency machines like the E-Trac and Fisher CZ's do exception on depth in more mineralized ground. (In some highly mineralized ground I heard even they have problems and the Deus will perform. But I think it really depends and is not a linear thing.)

Regarding Tesoro units - I have never owned one (but have been looking at them hard as of late - seem like fun and light units, sort of back to the basics). I know the Tejon and Vaquero are known to get pretty good depth, even in not such great ground. Quite a few of the Tesoro units don't have manual ground balance and I think that could for sure affect the depth on them (though you could open up the e.g., goldmax and adjust the GB pot to help.) Maybe one of the Tesoro guys can jump in here as my comments are educated guesses and hearsay.

Albert

Aaron - Just wanted to add something as I ran a T2 for years, little brother of the unit you mentioned, I believe. I think they are great units, extremely fast, but also they are very hot and noisy when running. I think it would be nice to quiet them down, give them better/more stable VID) and also, make them perform better in more difficult ground (At least I hear the latter on the forums regarding some of the more difficult ground in the UK). Outside of a smaller coil, perhaps they could drop the frequency some? Or ???
September 06, 2012 11:33PM
Albert - If you've got bad ground, you definitely want to stay away from the Tesoros with preset GB...which I think is at least half of their detector lineup.

I'm a big supporter of Tesoro - the Giffords, Rusty Henry and all the fine people I have talked to and dealt with there in the past. Not to mention tthat they have hands down best warranty (lifetime) in the business. And their policy in fact, although not in writing, has been to repair any of their unmodified detectors, original owner or not.

But I would be shocked if Tesoro comes out with anything new that isn't just a tweaking of the old...like the Outlaw...their first new detector in eight years.

To me a VID display, in 2012, is not bells and whistles. I have 5.75 and 7" coil Compadres, and anticipate having them for a long time because they are cheap and fulfill a specific purpose. But I can't see my main detector ever again being a beep and dig with no display.

Tesoro could keep going for quite a few years with the lineup they have now, but long term I don't think Tesoro has the R&D to compete with other manufacturers who are seriously investing.

I could be wrong, I hope I am.
September 07, 2012 01:15AM
Yes the F75SE in difficult ground will be real noisy, though in my area it's pretty stable. It also depends on how well it's calibrated from FTP.
September 07, 2012 09:43PM
I'd love to see Tesoro make a 3 toned Tigershark similar to a CZ20.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat...............see ya yardhunter.