Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

E-trac New vs. Old?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
E-trac New vs. Old?
September 20, 2012 06:12PM
Or I could say Ireland vs. Malaysia. I posed this question on another forum with out one agreement,Maybe because it was a Minelab forum. I was wondering how many out there have had an original Ireland E-trac and a newer Malaysia E-trac and could see any difference? I have owned one of the origianl first run E-trac since one month after they came out for 3 years. It was rock solid smooth running machine.I traded it in on an CTX 3030 Which wasn't for me. Anways I am on my second Malaysia E-trac and they are not nearly as smooth as my first original one made in Ireland. It nulls alot more in the trashier sites. And these are the same sites I took my first one to with same settings so nothing is different except the detector. I was wondering has anyone else expierenced this also? Or have I got unlucky with two lemons? By the way I took one in for repair and Minelab said nothing is wrong with the detector it bench tested fine. I told them bench testing doesn't mean anything in the feild is where it counts. I love E-tracs ,But am starting to lose faith in Minelab!
Re: E-trac New vs. Old?
September 20, 2012 07:56PM
I bought an Ireland made E Trac off of a forum for 900.00 used. I was the first one to respond to the dealer selling it and he sold it to me. I got an email from a fella that said he responded a minute too late to the dealer's post. He offered me 1200.00 for it. when I got the E Trac in the mail I slapped a new sticker on the box and took it right back to the post office. Easiest 300.00 I have ever made. I bought a brand new one with the money. So I never used an Ireland made E Trac, but someone out there sure believes they are better.
September 21, 2012 12:09PM
My Malaysian Etrac hunts with an Ireland ETrac ......They are as closely identical as any 2 machines can be ...... It never bothered me in the least to buy the Malaysian ETrac .....I would however stick to the Irish Excals though !!........JIm
September 21, 2012 01:07PM
Have you ever tried using another Ireland Etrac? You may find even another Irish made one may not even compare to yours. I have a malaysia made one and it's great, Tom even validated it and said it was a powerful unit, he tested it in his garden and it could hit a dime @ 11" w the X-5 coil.
September 21, 2012 01:52PM
I really feel its a crapshoot one detector versus another no matter where they are made and some are hotter than others and lets dial in our mineralization in our neck of the woods.

Whether one knows it or not many of the component of various metal detectors are made overseas and one top brand has a sticker on it made in the U.S.A. whereas it should read assembled in the U.S.A. I might add the aforementioned company produces one of the best and dependable units on the planet with little or no problems after the sale.
September 21, 2012 02:13PM
I've owned both units and could not tell them apart. I believe Minelab has the best Quality Assurance systems in place within the industry as their Etracs, Explorers and Sovereigns appear to be very consistent from unit to unit, even when built years apart.

Now if they could only electropolish rather than black-oxide those screws on the CTX...

[www.minelab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 02:16PM by go-rebels.
September 21, 2012 05:20PM
My ETrac was built in Ireland and after a day of hunting with it I get a strong urge for a couple pints of Guinness. God only knows what I would want after using a Malaysian built one.

;>)
September 21, 2012 06:25PM
I know what I'd want....
September 21, 2012 07:39PM
Yup!

About 50kg worth...
September 21, 2012 07:55PM
Well I only live 20 minutes from Minelab so I took my E-trac there and they gave me a new one. I always give credit where credit is due and Minelab stepped up to the plate and took care of me so kudo's to them. Of course soon as I put the box in my trunk the rain stareted to come down and will do so all day so no feild test yet,But surely it will be O.K.? If not I guess it is hello V3I, LOL!