Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sand Shark or DF

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sand Shark or DF
September 25, 2012 12:41PM
Im getting more interested in a PI for the Gulf area. There are times in the winter that it really gets quiet. The SS is an inexpensive choice with a lifetime warranty and im not sure because of our mineralization that its not close in depth to the DF. But... is it as sensitive to smaller items? It has a 600 pps OF and 240 to 450 K audio. According to Whites the DF is designed to be more sensitive to gold and copper-nickel allow. Some say the coil floats and if im not correct it has a larger coil .... which could make it harder to push in the current. Price isnt really the issue..... but which would do the better job on IDing gold based on the system design?

Dew
Re: Sand Shark or DF
September 25, 2012 02:46PM
I will give my two cents. Heck, that may be all its worth.

I owned both and I will say that regardless of any capabilites, I would never own another Dual Field. The gigantic coil hard wired to the unit is bulky and feels like you are swinging a garbage can lid. It is also boyant and will try to float in the water (you heard correctly). You have to apply pressure to keep the thing underwater. Talk about design defects! Also, the volume control, one of the most critical controls, is located inside the control box, meaning every time you need to adjust the volume depending on your location, you have to open up the detector. At the beach.

I know some folks love the Dual Field, but I am not a fan at all. White's needs to re-evaluate this detector IMO.

As for the Sand Shark, it was a pleasure to use. The coil didn't float, there was an external volume control, and it had excellent depth and sensitivty.

However, if I buy another PI detector, it would be a Detectorpro Pulse. It was designed by Eric Foster and has the same sensitivty to small gold as the Dual Field. It is also lighter and comes in your choice of 8" or 11" coils. The headphones are waterproof, but not made for diving or snorkeling. I will only suggest giving this detector a serious look before you make your final decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 01:52PM by smudge.
September 26, 2012 12:41AM
Im aware of the so call neutral boyancy of the DF coil...... but thats the first i heard about the volume. Thou i have to ask.... how often do you need to change your volume? That to me is normally a set it and leave it for most detectors. Rarely do i change mine. Im not sure about that 11 inch coil and PPing by looking at the design. I thought Gary Storm did all his designs? Werent they simular to the Fisher 1280? Where you located..... so i have some idea as to what you were dealing with. Im not seeing the spec on those.... i guess the manuals might give me it.

Dew
September 26, 2012 02:10AM
dew, if you go with the sandshark try to find a used one with changeable coils!!!!! but, let tom weigh in on this since he has said in the past that the sandshark is not a good choice.we both have seen a few people on the forums who swear by the sandshark but.......?
the dual field is used by clive james clinick, pm him for a review of the dual field.
the Detectorpro Pulse being a eric foster design is not something i have heard before!!!!! i have always wondered why the detectorpro machines seem to have no popularity????

now.............i have been wanting to add a pi to my detecting tools for a long time! since a aquastar II is unavailable/unobtainable i have narrowed my choices down to a goldscan5, whites tdi sl or whites tdi. all would need to be waterproofed.

chuck.
September 26, 2012 03:05AM
All I'm going to say is that I had the Beach Hunter ID a couple years ago and that neutral buoyancy stuff is CRAP. All that coil wanted to do was FLOAT! I'm assuming you'll have the same problem w the pulse machine if your wading.
September 26, 2012 01:45PM
I read somewhere where you can get them weighted for in the water? Beats the heck out of a sock and sand. I love the Xcal but im not sure having two of the same machines gives me much diverity. Cautious about a CZ21..... so here we are at a PI. Anyone heard rumbles from any of the big players coming out with a new water machine? It was discussed that Fisher has a new machine out in the late fall..... but it didnt sound like a water machine.

Dew
September 26, 2012 01:51PM
I live near the east coast of Florida.

The reason volume control is so important is that wind and wave action can vary greatly day to day aroundhere. Some days it is calm and quiet and other days pretty blustery. That can make volume control a critical issue for me.

Gary Storm designed the layout of the DP line, but the guts are from a Eric Foster design. DP definitely had some quality control issues in the past and really hurt themselves when they advertised their detectors for underwater use. They did not function well that way and leaked. Their detectors are waterproof to a point. You can get smacked with a wave or drop them in th water and you are ok, but I would not use them for snoreling or diving.

Aaron is right "neutral boyancy" is completely misleading and shame on White's for that slight of hand appraoch. That coil on the DF floats like a cork. I know that because I owned and used one.
September 26, 2012 01:53PM
Anderson makes a weight for the DF coil. You can get one from their website.
September 26, 2012 02:03PM
You know something, the question regarding the Eric Foster design worried me, especially when some questioned it. So I went back and researched it again and it appears I was wrong. Foster apparently designed some of the circuits used on the DP Pulse, but he did not design the hole unit. Apologies for the misleading information.

However, that mistake aside, I still feel the DP Pulse has best senstivity to small gold on par with the DF without the DF drawbacks.