Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My 2nd outing with the Deus...

Posted by schultzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My 2nd outing with the Deus...
September 29, 2012 08:26PM
This unit is quite interesting to say the least. I went to an old fairgrounds that has been hunted hard. I ended my hunt with eleven silver dimes (and clad). Eight of the eleven dimes had rust on them from being amongst trash. I used the factory settings in the Basic 1 program with the only change was the tones to suit my hearing. I hunted this place for about 45 minutes before a club meeting which yielded me two Rosies then... to total 13 silver dimes. I'm not sure I can top this day but it was fun indeed!

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 08:26PM by schultzie.
Re: My 2nd outing with the Deus...
September 29, 2012 11:18PM
I saw your post on Findmall. Unfortunately I got the boot there and can not reply to your posts. You did really well. You are now aware of of a few things about the Deus. The first is that the stock programs are really good. A little tweaking here and there and that is about all you need to do. After I hunt an area with one of the basic programs I like to go back over it with Deus Fast. I bet if you did that to the place you just hunted you would dig even more good targets. Deus fast can make some junk sound good, but it makes the good stuff sound great. I don't like to start with it though because it can have you digging more trash.

The second thing you are now aware of is that hunted out does not exist when you are swinging a Deus. I have never used a better detector for hunting behind people. I love to find what others have missed.

As a last tip I will tell you not to forget about the 4 kHz frequency. If you are having one of those slow days digging nothing but trash switch to 4 kHz and set the detector for deep. No discrimination. No silencer. Reactivity to one and the gain set to mid 90's. This will light up any high conductors and ignore that little itty bitty crap. I used this today at a place that I and others have hunted all Summer. I lit up a 1900 Canadian 5 cent piece. (very small silver) The frequencies do more than you might think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 11:27PM by goodmore.
September 30, 2012 12:08AM
That Deus is getting great reviews. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

Question; In an open field with little or no trash, average minerization, and looking for old coinage, what would you take in hand, the Deus or a cz3d?

GMP or a cz3d?
September 30, 2012 12:34AM
I have never used a CZ3D. But I would say that the the true strength of the Deus is hunting where there is iron and trash. I like hunting private yards here in PA. It seems every yard I hunt is just loaded with iron.
In a wide open field with little masking I imagine other detectors would give the Deus a run. Of course the weight of the Deus is nice also. I have a Sovereign GT also. But it really doesn't like freshly tossed dirt. I had the F75 Ltd for a while. It thrived in the fields you mention.I imagine the CZ3D would do a nice job. I'm sure others will chime in. I am a firm believer that no detector does it all.
September 30, 2012 01:02AM
Well why did you get the boot.......... dayum em! Deus is unreal! That's a nice haul of dimes............
September 30, 2012 07:12AM
Although I absolutely hate the concept/design of the DEUS, I must admit this is one of the best I ever had in my hands.

I did not buy one, but spent some time in the field (actually at the beach) with a friend's unit.

Give me one with a battery case and a wired searchcoil, and i'd buy it subito presto !

Cheers

Jim'
September 30, 2012 01:06PM
Tip of the hat for a job well done that seems like a fairy tale but the rust on the dimes has to tell us something. Being a CZ nut I know it will run with the big dogs but is easily masked and one wonders how many good ones I missed in the last 20 years because of this. Never used or even held a Deus but certainly some good input from forum members.
October 01, 2012 02:31AM
13 silver dimes in one day....I can only dream
WTG!
October 01, 2012 07:17AM
The old CZ-3D is still quite capable of racking up the silver. My post from early June...

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

I've been to the old golf course many times since then. But when it was REALLY hot out this summer I stayed home. Now that it has cooled off some I am back at it.
Just Friday I was there and found 11 silver coins. The ground is bone dry. It has been an amazing place to detect. 7 months... 283 silver coins.
October 01, 2012 02:32PM
I can only dream but we have an old golf course(turn of the century) and wonder how many silver coins were used to marks balls...unfortunately don't see it being open to public or going under..
Best spot I ever hunted for a summer was an old meeting place, turned into high school field and redone for drainage problems...close to 100 silver coins including 6 Barber Quarters and 2 Barber halfs...gotta keep my eyes open as one never knows when dirt will be moved or old sidewalks replaced....
October 01, 2012 08:23PM
Sounds like a great hunt with a great machine...

good for you

Keith