Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need help in buying CZ-3D

Posted by YuriyV 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need help in buying CZ-3D
October 06, 2012 04:13AM
Looking for something deep for old coin shooting. Think the CZ-3D would be a right choice.
Tom D. suggested to buy one of early model and send it to him for tune up. But it is not easy task. There are no offers on the market.
At the moment I have one offer of FT CZ-3D sn#1072, certified by Tom. Validation sticker states depth 8.6" with 8" stock coil. Obviously it is not the old model with 10-12" depth.
At the moment I run Tesoro Vaquero which is able get dime up to 8". So I'm interested in something deeper. My question is. Can I expect from those machine some greater depth? Or air range is limit? In other words, should I continue my searches or I can buy this detector.
Re: Need help in buying CZ-3D
October 06, 2012 06:02AM
Be patient and expect to pay about $600 for a calibrated cz3d calibrated by tom.

Look out for the serial number to start with 1021.

I own 2 and they cost me about $1300 delivered to Aus.

1 is calibrated at 11.8" and the other at 12".

Awesome machines and they do go deep. The added bonus they are
Perfect for wet sand detecting, have a target depth id and accurate pin
Pointer. Also you don't loose depth if you use a discriminator.

Every 2 weeks or so one comes up for sale either here or on ebay.

Good luck with your purchase.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 01:24PM by wolfau.
October 06, 2012 10:06AM
Some of the ones with ser.# 1121 , made in Los Banos , are good, too. I have a CZ5 , that I may sell, soon.
October 06, 2012 01:10PM
Things to consider....

CZ's I have used will go deeper in the ground than they will air test.

Does it have to be a CZ3D as personally feel the other model CZ's will go as deep and have gotten 10-12 silver dimes with all my CZ's and everyone knows I have owned a few trying them all and having to sell to buy.

Don't get wrapped up in ser#'s as there are hot and cold ones both old and new but even so are deep seeking units.

Remember Tom's validation does usually give you more depth but not all his validated units will 11-12 inches on a dime in an air test as well some of the units he validates will only go so deep and nature of the beast kind of thing.

As far as Tesoro's used many over the years and lately their beep and dig units do go deeper than previous models but can't hold a candle to a CZ as far as depth but again are a fine company that makes a solid unit with excellent service after the sale and they do like gold jewelry and handle iron and masking very well so every unit has their good and bad points.

Do be patient my friend as some good buys are to be had on the net and deep CZ's do come up for sale and certainly your call when they do...
October 06, 2012 01:23PM
Thank you guyx for great advice.
October 19, 2012 09:21PM
Two weeks passed. So far no success. Can't find #1021 or #1121. It's frustrating: the season here in Canada is about to end. Would like to hit my hunting grounds with my "new" deep Fisher this year. Obviously it is unreal... :-)
Have one more question to you guys. As I collect information about CZ detector family I feel some doubt that I set up a correct goal for my self and CZ-3D could be not 100% right machine for me. Those sites I hunt (parks, sport fields, picnic areas) are old. But most of them continue to be in use. So they littered by modern trash more or less. As I understand, CZ-3D is designed for places which are forgotten from 1950th-60th. Obviously it is not my case...
Any thoughts? CZ-5, CZ-7? Definitely, I'll buy #1021 or #1121 CZ-3D, but later as my second dedicated machine.
Any way, there are no any CZ available except modern new and used CZ-3D made by El Paso (TX). BTW may be those "new" CZ-3D are not so bad? Though I did not see any user's feedback that they are really deep. In other hand, Fisher guys state that modern CZ-3D are better then "those old Fisher". Check it out here :-)
Questions, questions....
October 19, 2012 09:33PM
That has been a long-going misconception. The CZ-3D can work very well in modern trash areas........... and that is with the CZ-3D in 'enhance' mode.
October 19, 2012 09:56PM
Don't get discouraged, it took me a few months to find a 3D, I just stopped into a local detector shop to kill some time waiting for an airport pickup one day. I walked in, saw it hanging on the consignment rack, didn't even realize it was a 1021 at first, and nailed it. Used it for a month or so and sent it to Tom to do his magic(well worth the money and very quick turn around)., deep acurate machine now. Be patient. I hunt lots of trashed out spots, learn the machine and the trash won't bother you too much.
October 19, 2012 10:51PM
The CZ 5" coil is very effective in trash, not as sharp as the F75 DD, but a huge improvement over the stock 8" concentric nevertheless. It surprises me how many CZ owners don't have the small coil in their arsenal.
October 19, 2012 11:49PM
Ok, I have to ask. Why only the older CZ-3D's?

What is wrong with the new ones?
October 20, 2012 01:45AM
Lots of info on this first page:

[www.google.com]
October 20, 2012 01:53AM
yuri, (i have a cousin named yuri) any used cz3d would be fine if the seller will guarantee that the unit will meet toms specs and if you feel you can trust the seller. all the popular forums have classified forums where you can search for a good cz3d. dont rule out a cz6a or a cz5 since tom can convert either of those to a cz3d if you really want a cz3d.
chuck.
An actual CZ-3D still is preferred for overall performance as designed
Correct. I can modify a CZ-6a or CZ-5 to exacting CZ-3D 'old-coins' spec's............... and retain the conversion as a 3-tone unit. Usually...... I do not modify the 'foil' region for the 4th tone. (((One of the reasons I incorperated a special tone for the 'foil' range on the CZ-3D....... was for jewelry/beach hunters))).
October 20, 2012 12:58PM
Don't know about the vintage but this is the umpteenth time he's has this one up for auction: [www.ebay.com]

Another w/o a S/N: [www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2012 01:01PM by go-rebels.
October 20, 2012 01:30PM
If you hunt real old areas for old coins a CZ3D can be an advantage with a sort of dig more to find more attitude.

If not and you hunt old places and you hunt old places that are still being used a properly tuned CZ any model should serve you well.

Of course when you buy a CZ3D used you know you are not getting an old unit as its the last one made and of course any of the other models may or may not be a real old models.

Down and dirty any CZ is a good unit and plus Tom validating them makes them a better unit as its fine tuned getting the most out of it...

I speak from experience using every CZ model ever made for the last 20 years and a new and old CZ3D but then again only my personal opinion.

Please Harold not again as get enough E-mails as it is...rel CZ info....
October 20, 2012 07:08PM
Thanks!

> Don't know about the vintage but this is the
> umpteenth time he's has this one up for auction:
> [www.ebay.com]
> D-W-8-COIL-HEADPHONES-/390483642867?pt=US_Metal_De
> tectors&hash=item5aeaa389f3

I contacted the seller yesterday. The detector is not 1021 nor 1121.

>
> Another w/o a S/N:
> [www.ebay.com]
> r-Very-lightly-used-and-comes-with-extra-coils-sha
> ft-/370668957542?pt=US_Metal_Detector_Accessories&
> hash=item564d976f66

Did not see this. Thanks for pointing. Sent a message to seller.
November 01, 2012 04:47PM
Got 1021 unit! Now it is on the way to Tom.
Thanks you, guys, for help!
November 01, 2012 05:11PM
Just curious how you got it and what it currently test at?
November 01, 2012 06:07PM
Well, that makes two from Canada that Tom will be calibrating. My 1021 has been sitting on a shelf for several years and just the other day it started calling me. Did some air tests and was getting 8.5" with a clad dime. Decided it was worth the expense to have Tom look it over. I better get down to the post office before Tom gets too busy...

By the way... hi everybody. I'm obviously new to the forum.
November 01, 2012 06:14PM
Toms always busy...

Welcome to the forum!
Somebody show him the secret handshake.
November 01, 2012 06:25PM
Howdy NEBodyBC, How 'er the grizzley bears treatin you up there?
November 01, 2012 06:38PM
Good question, Ozzie. I'm actually going to see if Tom can add "grizzly bear" to the targets on the meter with a depth of at least 500 feet.

Yuri... please keep us updated on your "new" 1021.
November 01, 2012 06:47PM
Ha Ha Ha, Good one NEBody. Pinpoint the bear and run the opposite direction.
November 01, 2012 07:33PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious how you got it and what it currently
> test at?
I placed my ad at most MD boards, include the Offical Canadian Metal Detecting forum. And one fellow Canadian detectorist kindly offered me his machine.
It is nice, clean 1021 unit. Bought it for CAD$550 + S&H
I tested it in my environment:
- US clad dime air test - roughly 8";
- US nickel produces mid tone;
- Wheat cent is invisible or gives weak iron low tone at 6" in the soil.

As I can see, it is typical non tuned CZ-3D.

>Yuri... please keep us updated on your "new" 1021.
Sure
November 01, 2012 08:53PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> That has been a long-going misconception. The
> CZ-3D can work very well in modern trash
> areas........... and that is with the CZ-3D in
> 'enhance' mode.

I will echo what Tom said! I bought my CZ3D (1021307) early April 2004 and have used it in heavy trash sites since day one in ENHANCE mode. I have all 3 coils and will downsize the coil on the machine when I have to. The 8 inch coil is by far the one I use the most and it has been used aproximately 90 percent of the time. It takes some patience to work the heavy trash but it pays off because most will just walk away from the heavy junk.

Good hunting, ArtWI
November 01, 2012 10:53PM
I have to agree.. I have hunted modern areas...and the 1021 is a monster.....and Ive been to the same parks with a hunting buddy that uses the new etrac...and I perform just as well if not better......just my thoughts....
November 18, 2012 03:06AM
NEBody-BC Wrote:
> Yuri... please keep us updated on your "new" 1021.

Well, got it tuned yesterday. Certified at 10.5". I'd say it is not the dream but acceptable. Take it to hunt today. Result is here:
[www.canadianmetaldetecting.com]
Button Canada Militia popped out from depth about 9". Not bad! Learning its tricks.
November 18, 2012 06:11AM
YuriyV Wrote:
>
> Well, got it tuned yesterday. Certified at 10.5".
> I'd say it is not the dream but acceptable. Take
> it to hunt today. Result is here:
> [www.canadianmetaldetecting.com]
> opic.php?nomobile=1&f=4&t=33957
> Button Canada Militia popped out from depth about
> 9". Not bad! Learning its tricks.

Tom should be receiving my CZ-3D any day now. No offence intended but I'll be very happy if Tom is able to certify my unit at 10.5". Something tells me that won't be the case, though.

I'll keep you posted.
November 18, 2012 10:16AM
YuriyV Wrote:
> NEBody-BC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yuri... please keep us updated on your "new"
> 1021.
>
> Well, got it tuned yesterday. Certified at 10.5".
> I'd say it is not the dream but acceptable. Take
> it to hunt today. Result is here:
> [www.canadianmetaldetecting.com]
> opic.php?nomobile=1&f=4&t=33957
> Button Canada Militia popped out from depth about
> 9". Not bad! Learning its tricks.

Congrats on the good start. You might want to copy the post as I doubt many (or any) of us will go through registration (which it says is required) to view your post. - "The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum."

Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 10:17AM by earthmansurfer.