Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need help in buying CZ-3D

Posted by YuriyV 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Need help in buying CZ-3D
November 18, 2012 05:24PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That has been a long-going misconception. The
> CZ-3D can work very well in modern trash
> areas........... and that is with the CZ-3D in
> 'enhance' mode.

just curious tom! wasn't it understood when the cz-3d was introduced
in 2004 that it was specifically "meant",and marketed for "pre-1950's" sites
because of the preponderance of modern aluminum trash that would constantly
"ring up" as a high tone in the "enhanced" mode? i passes on it back then because of this,
as "most "older" parks,and other "open public areas" are still being used,and are "blanketed"
by modern aluminum junk! comments? thoughts?..thanks!

j.t.
November 18, 2012 05:39PM
My opinion is that the CZ-3D is no worse than most units in most aluminum littered areas assuming that you have a properly calibrated unit. Square and round tabs sound off mid-tone nearly all of the time. The worst culprit is the smashed aluminum screw top, and those ring out high tone on most machines, including the Explorer and eTrac.

The worst condition is found when you encounter an area of dense can slaw, and that can be attributed mainly to the masking inherent in the concentric coil design.
November 19, 2012 12:47AM
j.t. ... My original intent for selecting those words ((( 'enhance' mode for pre-1950's sites ))) was two-fold.

First = The oxidation status of coins that have been in the ground for 1/2-century or longer....... are much better suited for the 'enhance' mode ..... for 'high-tone' detection/audio-reporting. This is primarily targeted for the copper coins...... including nickels (as they are 75% copper). Also..... of noteworthy interest is............ if a coin has been in the ground for greater than 50 years......... there is greater likeliness that another metal object may have been dropped in close proximity in the last 50 years.......... partially masking the coin.

Secondly = Pertains to modern trash. There 'might' be a unique scenario (type of target) that is modern trash..... that 'might' ID as a high-tone whilst in 'enhance' mode on the CZ-3D........ although not likely. And IF there is............. you have the option to remain in the 'enhance' mode...... and ignore the surface/shallow high-tones............. placing greater interest/concentration on the deeper high-tones. You may be performing this anyway............ so as to avoid the modern clad coins. Or........... you may choose to switch over to the 'salt' mode........ and continue to dig all high tones............. knowing you may forgo older generation coins.
November 19, 2012 12:55AM
Agreed w the aluminum screwtop issue w the 3D and Etrac. Only thing is w the 3D you get totally fooled, w the Etrac the screwtop is usually around the zinc penny range and sounds different, but then that's also where a lot if my old buttons come in....so I end up always digging them anyway.

BTW.....seems like in my old park I don't dig that much aluminum screw tops anymore, though the new/old pulltab are endless.

Regarding can slaw....last week (w the 3D) I came across a area where a red bull can was shredded and just below the surface, alot of pieces were pretty big and ringing hi tones. Being that I had limited time to hunt I had to walk away after digging up a bunch of it.
November 19, 2012 07:46AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> j.t. ... My original intent for selecting
> those words ((( 'enhance' mode for pre-1950's
> sites ))) was two-fold.
>
> First = The oxidation status of coins that have
> been in the ground for 1/2-century or
> longer....... are much better suited for the
> 'enhance' mode ..... for 'high-tone'
> detection/audio-reporting. This is primarily
> targeted for the copper coins...... including
> nickels (as they are 75% copper). Also..... of
> noteworthy interest is............ if a coin has
> been in the ground for greater than 50
> years......... there is greater likeliness that
> another metal object may have been dropped in
> close proximity in the last 50 years..........
> partially masking the coin.
>
> Secondly = Pertains to modern trash. There 'might'
> be a unique scenario (type of target) that is
> modern trash..... that 'might' ID as a high-tone
> whilst in 'enhance' mode on the CZ-3D........
> although not likely. And IF there is.............
> you have the option to remain in the 'enhance'
> mode...... and ignore the surface/shallow
> high-tones............. placing greater
> interest/concentration on the deeper high-tones.
> You may be performing this anyway............ so
> as to avoid the modern clad coins. Or...........
> you may choose to switch over to the 'salt'
> mode........ and continue to dig all high
> tones............. knowing you may forgo older
> generation coins.

i was just curious tom,as i use the f-75 w/5" dd coil,and i find this
combo devastating in the junk!.i almost bought the cz-3d back in 2004
when it was introduced,but apparently i was under the impression at the time,
that the cz-3d would hit in high tone on all square and round tabs.i guess i was influenced
by your statement that the detector should "only" be used in pre 1950 areas,prior to the
introduction of the square and round pull tabs.apparently,i could have purchased the cz-3d and
not have to be concerned about that in trashy modern "old" public places...thanks!

j.t.
November 19, 2012 12:50PM
It is a misconception that the aluminum round-tabs and square-tabs will ID as a high-tone on the CZ-3D. This is not true; yet, due to this misconception....... probably altered some folks yes/no decision on getting one.

In any regard.......... if you are hunting very high trash areas.............. the F75 w/5" DD coil is the better choice over the concentric 3D.
November 19, 2012 02:41PM
I do find a certain sqaure tab that registers as a hi tone with the 3D and those are large, maybe the original sq tabs from the 80's.....though Tom enlarged the window on mine may not be the same on others.
November 19, 2012 03:27PM
Aaron Wrote:
> I do find a certain sqaure tab that registers as a
> hi tone with the 3D and those are large, maybe the
> original sq tabs from the 80's.

I noticed that those tab registers as high tone is it is bent or cut.
November 19, 2012 04:35PM
The tab is big, measures around .5 x 1", there are no holes in it, always around at least 3" deep.
I'm guessing theyve been out of production for at least 15-20yrs
November 22, 2012 07:35PM
I'm watching a couple of CZ5's here in Europe on Ebay. Both with 8" coils, but one black and one white. I heard the white coils are from older CZ's. I PM'd the guy and he said the unit was 2 or 3 years old - it actually looks great. Anyone know about this?
The one with the black coil is missing the GB knob, but I guess I can order a replacement?

Thanks,
Albert
November 22, 2012 11:28PM
White coils are about 20 years old.
November 23, 2012 05:10PM
Thanks Tom. I mentioned that to the seller, who is a new Ebay user with only 8 sales and he hasn't replied to me yet. Strange, the detector looks great though - [www.ebay.de]
I hope he isn't trying to pull a fast one on anyone as he is a new user and in Lithuania...

Albert
November 24, 2012 02:04AM
Sounds like he may just simply not know.