Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gave one back to the old golf course...

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gave one back to the old golf course...
October 11, 2012 10:12PM
A couple days ago I was detecting the old golf course turned into a park again. I ran into a guy using an AT Pro and we began talking. He asked if I was having any luck and I showed him
5 silver dimes and an IH cent I had found along with a small handfull of wheats. He told me he had found 1 wheat cent and a handfull of newer coins. So he asked me how deep I was finding
the good stuff at. As usual there everything good was 8" or more.was using using my CZ-3D with the FZ-12 coil, and he had a 8 1/2 X 11" coil on his AT Pro. So he asked me the next time I
had a deep signal that was probably a coin to yell at him so he could come over and check the signal with his AT Pro. Wasn't 10 minutes later I got a nice hit which depth wise buried the depth
meter so I figured a dime at 10" or so or something bigger deeper. I called him over. The AT Pro didn't get a sniff of it. Nothing. So I dug it up. It was a 1938 P Washington quarter in MINT condition!
And I mean closer to AU than EF. We looked at it and I dropped it in my Fisher cloth treasure apron (it has two pouches side by side for tash/treasure). I continued detecting for another couple
hours and headed home. Well today I went to empth the apron out AND THE QUARTER WAS GONE sad smiley I know what happened, I've done it before). Without looking I dropped it into the right hand side
pouch (the goodies side) but I must have missed and dropped it BEHIND the apron pouch and it went to the ground. Usually I am knelt down and notice it. This time I didn't.

Probably a $50 quarter laying on the ground now.

I'll be going back there tomorrow if it doesn't rain or Monday. I know about where it was so maybe I can find it. Call it the one that got away!
Re: Gave one back to the old golf course...
October 12, 2012 12:33AM
Maybe the guy with the AT-PRO went back and got it? Maybe his Garrett will be able to find it now that it is on top of the ground. LOL!
October 12, 2012 01:21AM
Ouch that hurts!
Hope you find it.
October 12, 2012 02:38AM
I hear ya Lipservice. When I do things like that, it will bug me for a couple days.
October 12, 2012 04:47AM
Hi Lipservice.

Just a question for you. Is there a particular setup you use with the 12" coil.

I have used the 10.5" on my cz and its a tad heavy for all day useage.

Tried a front end harness but it was not comfortable.

Thanks

Joe
October 12, 2012 05:43AM
wolfau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Lipservice.
>
> Just a question for you. Is there a particular
> setup you use with the 12" coil.
>
> I have used the 10.5" on my cz and its a tad heavy
> for all day useage.
>
> Tried a front end harness but it was not
> comfortable.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

I use is the Fisher chest mount with the Fisher 10.5" and Sunray FZ-12 12.5" loops. I'll be 65 next month and the weight with the big loops is too much
for any length of time without using the chest mount. Actually the FZ-12 is about an ounce lighter than the Fisher 10.5" loop. At first the chest harness
was a little awkward but I got used to it. Reaching up for the pinpoint button was the hardest to get used to but it is second nature now. And all I use use in
that place is the big loops. The good stuff is just to darn deep for the 8" loop. Not much trash but the old coins are deep.

When I was there the other day I noticed a 4" chalk line meandering through the park. Then on the local news just this evening they announced the city was
putting a 1.3 mile long walking path in. I better follow that chalk line and try to make sure there are not any goodies where the path is going before they start
digging. They just closed down the course this spring and it is so odd how nature takes over. All that nice, short grass on the greens is long gone. The drought
(and no watering) here no doubt killed it. It is just bare, sandy soil with lots of weed patches and holes critters have dug where the greens were. The last person I
saw with a detector there (before the guy with the Garrett) was a couple months ago and that was Bryanna Girl. Have not seen her since there or on the forum here.
Hardly anyone is using the 'new' park, like a ghost town there.
October 12, 2012 08:34AM
It'll be interesting to see what you find ..... between the chalk lines ..... before they dig
..... and then to see what you find ........ after they remove a few inches of dirt between the chalk lines.

....... Especially since you are witnessing that the stock 8" coil is not deep enough to start to access the older generation coins....... and you are needing a bigger/deeper coil to ascertain some 'older generation' success. ((( Love is deep ))).
October 15, 2012 10:45AM
A few years back I lost an 1819 large cent I used as a ball marker. No way to find it after the fact. I hope someone found it and had a nice surprise! It wasn't my first, and probably won't be my last 19th century 'mark' I will lose.
October 15, 2012 12:55PM
A smart hunter will carry a non-mettalic container as a key date excellent condition coin can loose value in a coin pouch banging against the other coins..

That would usually be put in your pocket and serve two purposes...Reminds me of the guy that had a gold ring attached to a string to test against the junk that mimics gold rings and lost it. I guess the person who found it said what the heck and guess the small container could be lost and the person finding that would rally say what the heck indeed..
October 15, 2012 11:04PM
I went there today. Believe it or not after 45 minutes I found it! Laying right on top of the ground. Also found one that makes your heart speed up: a 1916 mercury dime with a mintmark.
I took it over by a tree and sat down, and got out a 10x power loop I keep in my fanny pack. I tried to 'will' it into being a D but it is an S sad smiley Maybe next time.

Also I hit a milestone there today. I went over 300 silver coins for the season out of that golf course. They had a dozen crews in there cutting down trees and working on the walking path.
I was amazed they already have well over a block of concrete poured and probably 4 blocks excavated for it. I had some pretty fair luck hitting the dirt piles and scraped off path. Rain and
cold weather coming, don't know when I can get back there. I saw two people cut across the park today and that was it. Like a ghost town except for the work crews. No other detectorists.

The silver went in my back jean pocket today!
October 15, 2012 11:11PM
I hope Fisher comes out with something DEEP. I am absolutely convinced I am missing masked (I use big coils there) and super deep coins.
Finding Roosevelts and worn Mecury dimes at 10" tells me there is some great, old, coins to be had if I can get at them.
October 16, 2012 12:46AM
Correct..... in your 'deeper depth' (and masking) quest/concern.

And.......... most importantly............. I like your happy ending of having found that '38 special' quarter.