Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally got me a 5x10 DD for the Tejon...And I must say

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally got me a 5x10 DD for the Tejon...And I must say
October 13, 2012 03:53AM
I really like it it alot....

on airtest its as deep as the stock coil but retains a hotter area at depth compared to the stock coil...i.e. the stock coil hits dead center at depth very small area...the DD hits same depth but down a much longer sweetspot.....

In ground performance in my red clay is very very good...no ground noise even in 4 bar f.e. dirt,,,even with an agressive negative ground balamce it's still quite!Hot rocks no problem...

Large iron seems to have it's own unique signature on this coil...

Target separation is very tight seems tighter than the 5.75 concentric ...

Depth is way up there in the dirt...Even small lead like .22 bullet's sound well in the harsh dirt and 7 inches or so...

Coil peeks in the ground very very well...

I dug this civil war general Service button today at a measured 10 inches and it was on edge in the hole...I saw the dirt get green and I slowed down and saw the edge of the button and retrieved it then...

it was a faint but smooth hit...embedded in some concrete dirt....You can tell it was deeply packed by that beautiful patina that gets that unique color from being encapsulated deep...the button has been mashed flat but stil has a unique style to it all the same...you can see were the shank pushed the eagle shield out ....

So far I am impressed with the results of the coil...Wish I had not waited so long to get one!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 04:47AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Finally got me a 5x10 DD for the Tejon...And I must say
October 13, 2012 05:34AM
Is that the same coil as the lobo?
October 13, 2012 09:47AM
Thanks for the report Keith. What especially does the Tejon excel at for you? Is it iron?
Nice button congrats!

Aaron
October 13, 2012 03:27PM
Yes Ray it's the stock coil on the Lobo ST...

I am very partial to elliptical DD's in my local dirt .

Keith
October 13, 2012 03:56PM
Hi Keith, i have had that coil for about a year, and never used it. If you had of let me know you could of had a boat load of lead. Hope you enjoy it. Flintstone
October 13, 2012 04:00PM
Hey Aaron...

Yes first and formost I like the Tejon in iron ...

It's an analog detector and the fine tunability in the nail range is very precise that only analogs can offer...I cant get digital machine's to see thing's that the analogs types will see in nail's..

Depth is very good also when tuned properly......The deep object's dont have the gusto audio some machine's have but it still report's it's just fainter more tickier sounding...typical tesoro modulated audio...Some like it some dont...

It's slower sweep speed than some when trying to attain depth...

The secret to digging deep or on edge target's is the tick sound's....a deep nail will be very close to the same sound but with proper headphone's [100 ohm's seem about right] you will learn to discern the subtle diferences between ferrous and non ferrous..Koss phones seem to work the best. the Kilerb's and grey Ghost type seem to not have enough tonal replication even though they arfe alos 100ohms or so...

Seek out the 100 ohms Koss... they will really convey the audio...Make the learning process easier..

It's the closest thing I have found to a GMP in fine tunability in th eiron range..Actually in head t head test when i had the gmp the tejon had a slight edge in a couple of rediculously hard unmasking scenario's...only thing is the tejon is a single tone....if it had an iron grunt audio it would be almost the same machine,..they are on the same freq's. at that..

I like High freq's and DD's and the Tejon fit's the bill....Especially when you dont want any sort of I.D. for pure relic hunting..

It's competition is the Troy X-5 and they are very close to the same on in ground performance except the Tejon has always afforded better/cleaner nail rejection while unmasking...

they both airtest into the stratosphere just the tejon is slightly more conveying in it's audio...

My favorite coil for the X-5 is the 5x10 ...The tejon seems to perfom very similar with this 5x10 in testing and hunting...

I might add on mineralized brick test with object's placed under brick... the tejon is blind to the object's till the 5x10 DD coil is used...the stock coil and both small 5.75 coil's concentric and DD is also blind...Only the 10x12 DD and now this 5x10 DD can report...and report quite well...I like being able to see what really happens when a strong DD coil actually has the ability to report target's that usually are silently masked by mineral...

Keith
October 13, 2012 04:06PM
Thanks again Flintstone!

I had one in the works locally but the guy sold it with a machine befroe I could get it from him....

Glad you had this one...It works very very well in certian area's of dirt...

It's frustrating to live in minerals and have to fine tune every aspect of machine and coil to get perfomance other's can get with just a plain stock rig..
But in other ways I like the challenge and the ongoing experimenting...

Thanks again

Keith
October 14, 2012 03:43AM
Hi keith, it is a really nice nugget coil.

My question to you - do you use the discriminator on the Tejon?

If you do use the discriminator have you noticed any loss in depth?

Thanks

Joe
October 14, 2012 04:37PM
Hey Joe.

I run the Disc 1 on zero to accept all...then Disc 2 is set to just reject a nail, right at f in the word foil on this particular unit..

I have not noitced depth loss from those two setting's but they are real close...

When I get a hit I just cross check in disc 2 and have not noticed on say .22 hull's and fired .22 lead or even shotgun pellet's eben diminished signal...I seem to be digging more of those small items more than ever before...

I want to add I just hunt like this in open area's where iron is not to abundant or when looking for habitat spot's...In dense iron I turn the 1 st disc to nail reject and dont use disc 2...

I think the tejon would make a great Gold Hunter it is more sensitive than the Lobo ST...but the all metal mode retunes way to slow to be effective on small gold .If you could get the auto tune faster like it is in pinpoint mode it would....I have actually thought of disconnecting the all metal mode they use on the clicked position of disc 1 and hooking up the pinpoint to it..[Just 2 wires jumpered to it and reversable].. Then being able to have a fast autotune in the clicked search mode.....and still have the pinpoint when in disc mode ..Just both using the fast auto tune...I cant use the factory tune they use in my dirt it takes to long to reset...

Keith
October 15, 2012 11:23AM
Thanks for the reply Keith.

Joe
October 17, 2012 05:19PM
Hey Keith, any chance you would have time to shoot a video of the coil in action?

First post on this site, really enjoy reading your posts and learning from all the great posters here.

Thanks,
Chad
October 18, 2012 05:32AM
Welcome to the Site Chad..

I will see what I can do on the video....I am in the process of getting a Go-Pro camera...So maybe in a week or so i can show a hunt with this coil..

Keith
October 18, 2012 04:15PM
Thanks Keith,

I've been out of the hobby for quite a few years My past experiences were with Compass machines, Fisher 1266X and Shadow X2 in the Atlanta area. I decided to pick up a Tejon (after much research and considering every machine under the sun including 1266x, shadows, fisher 1270, whites 5900, garrett at pro, mxt pro) as Im not sold on vdi machines. I've seen your videos and appreciate you taking the time to help educate, especially as the soil conditions you encounter are what I see.

Chad
October 19, 2012 12:07AM
I understand your dissatisfaction with I.D. machine's Chad...There not 100% accurate to begin with then when the Mineral comes into play it's sometimes a hinderance..Even simple tone I.D.'s like iron grunt and high tone...lots of the grunt's are not iron .....

I think you will be pleased witht he Tejon if you are a 1266 man...

What does the Tejon offer over the 1266,,,Well it unmask in iron unmeasurably better....it really has an affinity for low conductor's...Loves button's...
Has a better iron rejection circuit while maintaining audio nuance's that the 1266 just did not offer in nail's...
Also it has a ground balance that works in disc mode....the high frequency works well in mineral...
Plethora of available coils and even aftermarket coils are coming on the scene as of late...

And I might mention the coil option's while I stated it....Thats the number one thing people need to enhance the Vlf's designs of late....Better coil's...DD's for Our dirt are especially helpful...And really almost required...

Dont buy a machine and not explore all avenues of coil availability...
I am a firm believer in that coil's makes the machine...If that makes sense...

Keith