Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Big iron DEUS targets

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Big iron DEUS targets
October 15, 2012 05:25PM
Searching a old home site w the DEUS I'm finding it to be a good idea to be digging the signals at around 98 even though their almost always iron. When the numbers are that high its usually wrapping around because it's big iron. One of these ended up being a nice relic, a hand made hammer from perhaps the late 1800s. A couple weeks ago i found a 1842 L. Cent under a bent up rusty rod and a big nail, however that was w the CTX w 6" coil.

You also never know what may be hiding under that big iron till you remove it. When you start running out of non-fe targets you just have you take other measures to fully exploit a old site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 05:28PM by Aaron.
Re: Big iron DEUS targets
October 16, 2012 12:35AM
Hello Aaron congrat"s on the large cent that is one of many on my wish list! I have an old farm site thats where I"am at pulling out the large iron targets one was an old bent piss-pot made me laugh i love this stuff! HH
October 16, 2012 12:58AM
I'm not sure how they can do it, but XP needs to address the iron wrap around issue with version 3. I have been using the Deus for a few months now and I am quite good at skipping the iron. I'm a coin hunter, and I don't want to dig any iron. But the old 97 & 98 wrap around still produces a high tone that makes me stop to investigate. I suppose I could notch them out. I have never found a good target at 97 or 98 VDI.
October 16, 2012 01:34AM
Thanks Roy that's my 1st L cent in 26yrs of hunting, congrats on the pot!

Good more, don't notch anything out. The over wrap still has the scratchy iron sound to it, your going to get that on every machine when you encounter big iron, it just has to be dug, you never know what may be co-located

Aaron
October 16, 2012 01:36AM
Sounds Neat on the old hammer Aaron...

Congrats on the LC.......

Sounds like it was very well masked..

Keith
October 16, 2012 01:51AM
Thanks Keith, the old hammer was down there, about 10" and the signal was hard to tell, turned out to be ALL iron handle and all.
Sometimes the iron can turn out to be a nice relic.
October 16, 2012 04:10AM
All iron handle .....

That sounds like a farrier hammer...pretty early like mid 1800's....I dug one like that once in an artillery camp....all iron ...Some called that type artilleryman hammer's...but I think thye used brass heads around cannond for vent work and such...No spark's....But i beleive the farriers/blacksmith's used such for horses and such...

Cool find ..

Keith
October 16, 2012 11:36AM
goodmore --- check at see what a half-dollar ID's as ... on your Deus.
October 16, 2012 12:48PM
Keith, yes the little hammers head is iron so probably used by a blacksmith as I've found lots of horseshoes there too. The end of the handle comes to a sqaure point.

Thanks again!

Aaron
October 16, 2012 11:25PM
I would in no way want the iron wrap around to go away in the V 3 update. One thing you can believe about this machine is if it is giving a conductive then a ferrous signal on the apparently same target they are both there, something good and something iron. I've been hunting with mine exclusively on the freshwater beaches and the machine is telling you something, not wrapping. I dig anything with a conductive peep crackle or pop and have found this to be the gospel by me. I find very little falsing when on any target. The machine is so fast even in 1 reactivity it can and will isolate something all in the iron. It might be a pull tab it might be a piece of foil but it's in the same hole and the machine is telling you that. I dug well over a dozen targets today that did just that and after spreading out the scoopings found the ferrous and a conductive target in the spread out sand/dirt. If it just shows ferrous all the way around it doesn't get dug. I don't even want to pick up any of my other machines since getting my hands on this little jewel, they feel like antiques!
Anonymous User
October 17, 2012 04:39PM
Just came back from UK using the Deus with large coil. Yes iron wrap is a problem. But before I left I checked those high silver signals at home with airtest.
1796 8 reales was a 95/96. Peace dollars were 97 and only got to 98 when touching the coil.

We all know that the Deus "drops" their TID number after items are dug - so I personally think that likely most 98's and probably most all 99's when in the ground are junk targets.

But - I did learn a lot about good faint 2 way signals with no TID number just barely reading on the right side of the horseshoe. Over 75% of those targets were GOOD non-ferrous targets at depth when dug.
In a farm field it takes seconds to take a shovel full (or two) out to check if non-ferrous or iron...

I also hope they fix iron wrap on the next update - that alone is worth a payment...
October 17, 2012 09:19PM
"But - I did learn a lot about good faint 2 way signals with no TID number just barely reading on the right side of the horseshoe. Over 75% of those targets were GOOD non-ferrous targets at depth when dug. "

Very interesting...thanks.