Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth is only one aspect...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth is only one aspect...
October 16, 2012 03:05PM
Perusing the forum I feel we are getting obsessed with depth while many other aspects are invaluable whether a keeper goes in the pouch.

How in heavens name can we compare a clad dime on an air test or recently buried coin compared to a silver coin that has been buried 100 years or so other than ballpark at best.

Heck I live in an area where most silver coins are 5-6 inches but indeed have gotten them in the 10-12 inch area in specific areas so depth does come into play especially in pounded areas but again only one aspect and having many knowlegable hunters in this forum would like to see some input on their views.
Re: Depth is only one aspect...
October 16, 2012 03:12PM
You are correct about the depth issue.
I truly believe masking is by far the most important foe we as detectorist face.
October 16, 2012 03:15PM
I'm obsessed with iron....that's where the OLD relics are.

With that in mind, My DEPTH of appreciation for the DEUS grows as my time accumulates on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 04:16PM by Aaron.
October 16, 2012 06:21PM
Depth is critical. If folks truly knew how many silver coins were in the 14" - 17" range............. it would completely change your thought-process about the importance of depth.
October 16, 2012 07:59PM
I have dug a few field pits in the past and the old coins were down there to 20". Depth is important to me as is seperation/unmasking.
October 16, 2012 08:24PM
I know from experience relative those deep coins Tom relates to...Old basebal field was redone due to water problems. Foreman told me they are scraping 8-10 inches off the field when he gave me permission to hunt after work hours...More than one silver coin found in the 8 inch range throughout the field not one particular area as imagine there were high and low areas. Do the arithmetic and one wonders how deep do coins sink...Certainly depth is of importance but again only one facet of the hobby...depending on the site you are hunting on...
October 16, 2012 08:46PM
When you talk depth you have to talk sensitivity to a specific target like silver dont you? I mean even on a beach a 14K ring or a 10K ring everything elce being even will have different detection depths.

Dew
October 16, 2012 09:51PM
Theres more to be found right now in the gorund than has ever been found to date combined...I am a firm believer in that...

Its either too deep ....Or being masked ...by iron or by mineral......

I would love to see a detector offer a ferrous or non ferrous reading at a depth of 20 inches reliable....if that was doable I would not need to hunt trashy area's...

We have machine that are able to go a little deeper than other's at a cost of reliable disc...and Have machines that are able to get items out of iron a little bit better than other's at a cost of reliable disc......but truthfully we are at a standstill in technology for the bext big leap to take place will take time...we move ahead, but it's ever so slightly..I am ready to turn the corner but the engineer's are not, or can not...not sure which...

Keith
October 17, 2012 02:05AM
We have been at the 12" depth plateau for 20 -25 years.

I would be very satisfied to have a detector that could only differentiate between ferrous vs non-ferrous and could find a silver half-dime at 13" and a silver dime at 15". This would be a tremendous breakthrough............... and would open a lot of 'eyes'...................... just like 21 years ago when the new CZ-6 jumped the nominal standard 8" max depth capabilities on a dime ...... to 11" depth capabilities on a dime. At THAT time......... no one thought coins were much deeper than 5" - 6"! This generated a mindset paradigm shift.

Human 'thought-process' and 'mindset' changed forever...... with the advent of the CZ (and 1266-X).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 11:15AM by NASA-Tom.
October 17, 2012 05:39AM
I hear you Tom!

Another 3-4 inch jump on a dime would be tremendous...Open new door's....rejuvinate old dead site's....

I spend most of my time in trash and iron becasue of the depth limitation's...

relics are DEEEEEEP in the ground....probably thousands of miles of refilled trench lines in the U.S. holding truck loads of Historical artifact's yet untouchable by current technology....Hut sites in winter camps burried 3-4 Ft deep going unoticed ....

Send the mind to racing thinking of just what the simple plows turned under all across the nation.The advent of the tractor pushed objects even deeper...

Think of the areas that have had soil redistribution,Like a park ...msot of them have areras where the soil is overlayed onto original ground for leveling purposes...

Yes Things are quite deep...Yet it takes alot of work to retrieve such items whent hey get deep...

Keith
October 17, 2012 10:47AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have been at the 12" depth plateau for 20 -25
> years.
>
> I would be very satisfied to have a detector that
> could only differentiate between ferrous vs
> non-ferrous and could find a silver half-dime at
> 13" and a silver dime at 15". This would be a
> tremendous breakthrough............... and would
> open a lot of 'eyes'...................... just
> like 21 years ago when the new CZ-6 jumped the
> nominal standard 8" max depth capabilities on a
> dime ...... to 11" depth capabilities on a dime.
> At THAT time......... no one thought coins were
> much deeper than 5" - 6"!

I would love to see this, too !
October 17, 2012 11:16AM
((( I edited my above post ))).
October 17, 2012 01:32PM
Being a CZ nut for those 21 years and using a 1266 can't argue with your last post Tom, however I had a Wilson Coin &Relic from that era and although never using a Nautilus feel they were also forerunners relative depth also. Anyone that has dug a 12 inch coin with a hand tool knows its quite a chore depending on the ground we are hunting in and would guess try it in a local park and no detecting signs would go up so guess we better get one of he shovel tools and hunt in the boonies if they ever do come up with something deeper..For you Explorer users they have only been around since 99 and although deep Fisher was about 7 years ahead of them for building deep units and along the way other manufactures have caught up also...
I guess we will never know how deep coins fall but 15 inches...oh my aching back...
October 17, 2012 09:25PM
I would think coins never stop sinking until they hit a solid rock layer or encounter an obstacle, but the sink rate should vary(and probably does) as it passes into different dirt strata due to density variances. Does the pressure(side load) on a deep coin have an effect on its sink rate? Also as depth increases you have less expansion and contraction of the soil from temperature and moisture changes.Lots to consider, I welcome any comments.
October 18, 2012 12:19AM
Beach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think coins never stop sinking until they
> hit a solid rock layer or encounter an obstacle,
> but the sink rate should vary(and probably does)
> as it passes into different dirt strata due to
> density variances. Does the pressure(side load) on
> a deep coin have an effect on its sink rate? Also
> as depth increases you have less expansion and
> contraction of the soil from temperature and
> moisture changes.Lots to consider, I welcome any
> comments.

From what I have experienced ground water is the most significant factor that aids to the depth of coins. It causes them to sink to China.
Yet, when a coin reaches the "marl" or when the soil that is beneath it is greater in density than that of the coin, that SHOULD stop it lowering in depth.
D=m/v

Today I was digging clad dimes and quarters CONSISTENTLY in very moist soil that were averaging 6-7" in depth. I was quite disappointed to be digging clad at that range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 12:20AM by CoilFisher.
October 18, 2012 12:54PM
Like asking how high is up to a degree and certainly a debateable subject.

I will add was explained to me a dime and half dollar should be about the same depth as even if the half dollar is heavier its much larger causing a slower sink rate...certainly plausible but again debateable...
October 18, 2012 01:10PM
Well, guess what happens when your soil is deep sand with a little top soil? I'm convinced we have a lot of very deep old stuf around here, just can't detect them. One of my best relics was detected after I'd already pulled about 7" off getting an item and then rescanning in the hole. It was a filligree sash buckle from the 1800" and 14" down. It's about three inches across! Yet I also found a 1909 Barber quarter 100 yards away at two inches laying on top of a tree root.
Re: Dave J. weighs in...
October 19, 2012 02:36AM
October 19, 2012 04:07AM
It depends on the soil and other factors how much and how fast a coin or other objects sink. In England and other Euorpean countrys coins that hve been lost for over 1000 yrs can be detected at less than a foot. I have found Nickle/iron metorites that have been lying on the surface for thousands of years in the desert. In the woods where things are left undisturbed old coins can be found very shallow, sometime just under the dirt an inch or two, although there may be several inches of dead leaves and decaying vegetation. I think its possible that the constant watering and mowing of the grass contributes a great deal to the "sinking" of coins, Maybe its mostly the decaying vegatation that buries a coin. I think it would be interesting to lay a coin on the ground and place a box over it to protect it from elements and human activity and live long enough to see how long it takes to sink a foot, or even a couple of inchs.