Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
October 19, 2012 04:55AM
Does anyone own one of these units and what are your thoughts?? The local pawn shop has one. I was detecting with a guy who had one the other day (it was his old homeplace that we were detectiing). I'm not real sure that his was a 505 or not. I didn't see a ground balance button on his. Anyway, he found THREE Indian Heads the first day...and one the second day. I found a Mercury dime, and a small chunk of silver that says STERLING on it. Might have been part of a necklace. Anyway, I was very impressed!!! I was thinking on the first day: "Oh I'll eat his lunch with my AT Pro." And it was this young man's first time with a detector.....ever!!!
I went by the pawn shop today and turned the unit on. It has three tones. I had a clad dime and a clad nickel. It ID'd the dime with a high tone. But ID;d the nickel with a low tone. I though that that was strange and may indicate that it is malfunctioning. Thanks. kevin
Re: Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
October 19, 2012 07:56AM
If I remember correctly........... many Bounty Hunter units will report iron/foil/nickel as a low-tone. Pull-tabs as a mid-tone. Coins as a high-tone.
October 19, 2012 01:20PM
I got one for free once from Kellyco once, it is Bounty Hunters flag ship, and a entry line machine. Stick with your ATPro, theres no comparison. If your coil had went over those targets you would have found them just as easily.

Aaron
October 19, 2012 01:32PM
I am with Aaron on this one you have a fine unit so learn it well and it will produce some nice finds.

Heck I started with a flea market radio shack and found several clad coins and was hooked and over the years have used a lot of units and some nice finds went in the pouch.

Nothing against old or new units but imagine he has learned his unit well which equates to success but what you have is head and shoulders over his so learn it well yourself and it will produce. I guess we are back to the nut behind the wheel situation again as many do well with you unit...Garrett has a lot of informative info on your unit and of course forum members can help the process also...
October 19, 2012 04:05PM
Thanks guys. I can ALWAYS count on you fellers to be my voice of reason. Ya know....I was just wanting to buy something. But I walked out of there yesterday emptyhanded. I might just be getting better.
I have all day today (the lady is on her way to sit with my mother) to detect and a new historic district yard of a home built in 1901. I found an Indian head there two days ago (1901) with the stock DD coil. I have a strong feeling that much of the yard has been sodded. I don't think that they built the yard up with fill dirt. But if they did, I want the large DD coil to hopefully get down deeper. I REALLY think that I will find some silver today!!!! I am posting another AT Pro thread concerning the latest concentric coils for the AT Pro. I would put it here, but I need alot of feedback before I push the 'pay' button. Thank for your feedback guys!!! I NEVER EVER take it for granted. You are NOT wasting your time by feedbacking my questions. I appreciate them all. Ever time this site goes down for a few hours, I get a big knot in my stomach. This is my GO TO metal detecting site.
October 19, 2012 04:16PM
That stock ATPro coil is a BIG coil, how big is this yard that you need a bigger coil? And are you sure you removed all the non fe stuff along w big iron first?

I only ask because I try the best I can to pinpoint and retrieve targets w/o damage to manicured lawn.
October 19, 2012 05:10PM
I'm not sure that I came across clear because I am typing too fast. I have the stock (big) coil on the AT Pro now and yes it is plenty big enough. I totally believe in and practice non-destructive target recovery techniques as shown on Tom's Inland Video. I cut a plug three ways and hinge it back. Get target, and hinge the plug back into place. Step on it with my foot. Never see the seam.
I think that we are on the very same page Aaron, but my communication skills are lacking this morn. I appreciate your feedback. I am going to do a more thorough search of that yard today. maybe the rain, and the damp ground, will assist my efforts to find old silver or copper or brass or lead. Happy Hunting to ya.