Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cortez question

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cortez question
October 20, 2012 02:05AM
I had a Cortez back when it first came out and wasn't to impressed by it and was never able to have any success with its "SUM" mode as it was supposed to help in some cases help disc between some tabs and gold. It doesn't seem like that machine gets to much press on the finds Tesoro forum either. When I had it I recall it wasn't to good on depth. Its kinda funny that machine is still Tesoros flagship machine too. I'm just curious if anyone ever used one with any success using the sum mode.

Thanks
Re: Cortez question
October 20, 2012 02:40AM
The Cortes is not a bad machine but the ground balance does not carry over into disc mode and hot rocks drive the machine crazy if you are in an area with them...

I have a buddy who uses one alot and he makes some serious finds with it in decent dirt...

I liked the Toltec better..

I hope they release some updated designs soon...

Maybe a new Euro sabre in a tejon package..

And maybe multi tone V.D.I. with a ground balance that carries over to disc mode..

Keith
October 20, 2012 03:34AM
a 3 toned Tigershark ( similar to the CZ20 ) would be REALLY nice to see coming our way too..............see ya yardhunter
October 20, 2012 12:54PM
Hi Aaron, I had a Cortes,and my results were exactly like yours.
October 20, 2012 01:42PM
For what it worth Tesoro makes a fine unit and never really understood the sum mode or had much sucess with it myself..Tesoro has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to ID units and haven't made a good one since the old heavy Toltec 100..As the guys down under must have big arms with the Explorer Tesoro people must have good eyes as the meters are awful small..Again Tesoro makes fine light beep and dig units with exceptional service after the sale and a flagship ID unit would sell like hotcakes...Are you listening Tesoro as coupled with the the notch and tone techniques you have and a good meter it would be a world beater...
October 20, 2012 02:20PM
As an addendum rel Tesoro more depth is evident in the Vaquero and Tejon models so lets add that to the equasion to a super flagship Tesoro ID unit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2012 01:06PM by Dan-Pa..
October 23, 2012 11:02AM
I had several Cortes units and found them to be fun to hunt with. My first one was back in 2000, it must have been hot because I almost kept it over the White's MXT I had. One day took both out and performance was identical, go figure. Sold it before moving to Georgia where the red clay soil would give it problems. Kept the MXT because it could ground balance that would carry over to Disc. mode.
If it were not for the move would have kept the Cortes. 6 months before moving back north picked up a cherry Cortes, sold it off quickly because is was not a deep unit, air tested like a Silver umax.

So Tesoro hasn't really kept up in the world of new TID machines..........................so what's wrong with Detectorpro, they stagnated as well, nothing new or exciting, with lack luster average depth capabilities. For a man who designed the Minelab Excalibur surely could produce a provocative Detectorpro unit.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 23, 2012 02:40PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As an addendum rel Tesoro more depth is evident in
> the Vaquero and Tejon models so lets add that to
> the equasion to a super flagship Tesoro ID unit...

You are correct dan, They have the technology to get deep. I have dug many coins at 8 -10 inches. my best is a clad dime at almost 11". Not to mention the fast retune, lightness and no EMI issues. I hope they(tesoro) is listening. Add 3 tones to the V and I'll buy it.
Re: Cortes question
October 23, 2012 03:27PM
Again Tesoro makes a fine unit and certainly backs it with service after the sale...My idea is to add up the notch, tone ID and increased depth, likeness for gold jewelry and add a large meter analog or digital at a decent price and it would add up to a Tesoro Perfecto and be tough to beat.
Having used many Tesoro's old and new and talked to Rusty Henry many times I speak from experience and certainly just a thought and indeed in no way wish to bash a fine company...
I realize tooling and upgrading may make it cost prohibitive to do so in this economy but just an individual opinion...
Is the Cortez a multi tone unit???
October 23, 2012 07:56PM
If I buy a Tesoro. it will HAVE to be multi toned like the CZ-3D. I just have not ever searched with a single tone machine. I read wher the Tesoro Gold U-max was multi-toned. Hmmmm.
Re: Is the Cortez a multi tone unit???
October 23, 2012 08:25PM
Kevin.....

YOU JUST BOUGHT A DEUS!

What are you thinking man?
Re: Is the Cortez a multi tone unit???
October 23, 2012 08:33PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin.....
>
> YOU JUST BOUGHT A DEUS!
>
> What are you thinking man?

Just a hypotheical scenario. A back up detector to play with someday. That's all.
October 25, 2012 03:58PM
Hi Aaron,
The Cortes was my first major upgrade from Bounty Hunter units once I got the bug back in 2004. I loved the way it looked. The color, all the dials and switches, the display, especially the histograph. I also liked the conductive spread or range of TID. Normally I would use the histograph for general target id as the TID numbers jumped around a lot and would use the SUM mode to give me a stable TID number. Very easy to tell the new tabs from nickels with that feature.

Of course you have to learn your own unit's TID numbers as I've discovered after owning 4 of them that there is no consistancy between units. The Cortes likes an air gap to id properly so ground scrubbers be warned.

The hardest part of the Cortes was no ground balance adjustment in Disc mode which required a higher discrimination setting to get rid of ground noise, and the overshoot null in the all metal mode.

The ground balanced All Metal mode is a non-motion all metal mode and the Cortes would ID in that mode, too, but it would only id as deep as it did in disc mode. But the no-motion all metal mode didn't act like an non-motion all metal mode. Once you passed the targat, it went into a "overshoot null". The threshold cut out and the detector went silent. You then either waited a second or two for the threshold to come back, or you hunted in silent search for a bit.

But...back to SUM mode.....you could hunt in the ground balanced no-motion all metal mode..looking for targets that wouldn't give a id, or a very inconsistant id....then switch to SUM mode and get a TID after a few passes.

So it is a useful feature. Too bad Tesoro will never improve upon it.

HH
Mike
October 26, 2012 01:22PM
Thanks everyone for your comments/input. I'm not planning on buying a Cortez again, as I said I've always been curious of the SUM mode and didn't have the machine that long to really learn it. Im pretty sure I've got all the bases covered and then some as far as machines gos.

Aaron