Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone ever reverse the coil...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone ever reverse the coil...
October 26, 2012 01:41PM
Saw a fellow in a park the other day with his coil on backwards...He felt it was more comfortable that way....Not about to reverse my coil but you fellows having weighting and ergonomic problems might give it a try as it may improve your situation depending on your body makeup and swing pattern.
Re: Anyone ever reverse the coil...
October 26, 2012 02:11PM
Hmmm
October 26, 2012 03:14PM
No, but I saw some jackass on Cocoa Beach last spring with his on backwards swinging easily a foot off the ground, getting in peoples space and being a over all nuisance.
I wish could got a video of it
October 26, 2012 03:59PM
Yes..... when i had the dfx it changed the balance tremendiously. But for the life of me i cant remember why..... im thinking the old coil connection position was ackward.

Dew
October 26, 2012 05:07PM
Some surf hunters like it backwards.
October 26, 2012 07:51PM
I used to have a huge DD coil for my old Garrett Grand Master Hunter that was so heavy that I turned the coil around and also shortened the shaft in order to be able to swing it at all.

I liked the big DD coil but it was simply too heavy even when it was reversed but it was better.

Jerry
October 26, 2012 10:40PM
I would be cautious about doing it if there was a metal lower rod close to the coil....Some of the lower rods only use non metallic isolator tips about 8 inches from the coil......but if you flip coil around the metal rod could interfere with the field...and cause unoticed problem's....transmission field distortion..

Just my take...but on very sensitive machines even a middle rod in the detection field could cause problems with the coil reversed..especially if you are of short statue...

Keith
October 27, 2012 12:33AM
Folks with Tesoro detectors do it when they use the 10x12 coil. They say it balances better, tired it once, it does. But, it looks dorky if you know what I mean.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 27, 2012 04:54PM
I think the Explorer guys early on with the 10" coil would sometimes flip the coil backwards, if I remember right because the coil mount is towards the back end of the coil, so by flipping it backwards now the extra length of coil is under the shaft and thus makes things less nose heavy to an extent. Why anybody would make any coil with the mounting ears not dead center in the middle of the coil is beyond me. Glad the Sovereign coils and the SEFs didn't pull a bone headed move like that...
October 27, 2012 04:59PM
critterhunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Explorer guys early on with the 10"
> coil would sometimes flip the coil backwards, if I
> remember right because the coil mount is towards
> the back end of the coil, so by flipping it
> backwards now the extra length of coil is under
> the shaft and thus makes things less nose heavy to
> an extent. Why anybody would make any coil with
> the mounting ears not dead center in the middle of
> the coil is beyond me. Glad the Sovereign coils
> and the SEFs didn't pull a bone headed move like
> that...

I like center mounted coils.
I think they made the mount off center to get the coil edge further away from your feet so it would not pick up your shoe, sneaker shoestring grommets, some have steel arches etc. during the sweep.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me