Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sudden awakening

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sudden awakening
November 04, 2012 02:41AM
I have owned several detectors and found many old artifacts, coins, rings and other valuables with all of them. I have a friend that I detect with who out finds me on most occasions. He uses a Minelab and I use a Fisher and AT Pro. Sometime I beat him in finds but neither of us find a huge amount more then the other. I finally realized that it was not my detectors fault because he has never found deep targets that I have not also marked with my detector. I found out that he is able to dig twice as many targetrs as me on a given day. He can dig,retrieve and replace the plug in the time it takes me to dig the plug. I am almost 80 years old and have severe arthritis in my neck and hands that slow me down. But I am happy for him and myself because it is a good friendship and we have fun hunting together. I might by another detector when one comes out with an amazing break through that will increase your odds of locating treasures over todays detectors. Thanks for reading this and good luck with your detecting.
Re: Sudden awakening
November 04, 2012 02:49AM
Maybe this country wouldn't have such a problem with obesity if people half your age were as active.
That's impressive, keep it up!
November 04, 2012 10:57AM
WOW! Coinseeker, That is inspiring. Anyone that's out there with a handicap or is older than 65, my hat is off too you. You love the hobbie enough to push past the aches and pains, plugging along at your own pace.
Your out there DOING, that's what counts. I'm cheering you on over here in PA.
November 04, 2012 11:08AM
You know what though, it isn't the amount of what you find. I mean I would much rather find one silver coin at 8" or 9" than 2 of them at 5". I just love searching for those deeper softer silver sounding targets on my E-Trac.
So, even if you aren't digging much, it's not the destination in a sense, it's the journey. "Fun" is a very relative thing. But we all know that.

My neighbor digs a lot of targets. But his detector gets about 5"-6" of depth it seems. (A very old compass) Beyond that depth it says coins are iron - I know cause I have cross checked. He is pretty content with that, even though
he see's me digging 8" - 9" coins.

One day with a smile on his face, he said one of the on lookers told him he finds a lot more coins than me. I admit, it got under my skin for a moment and I said, "I know, I walk past all the non silver shallow stuff and leave it for you. I may dig 5 - 10 deeper targets in a day and lately more like 2 or 3, but the search is so much fun. I know mostly what I am walking past. For me, it is fun to find older deeper coins, especially silver. How many silver coins, gold or Silver rings have you found In the last 6 months? I have found 30 silver rings, 2 gold rings and 7 silver coins." He had found 100's of coins perhaps, but no silver coins, no gold rings, and maybe 1 silver ring. The smile went away from his face and I didn't exactly feel good in what I said but my point wasn't that I found more "good stuff", but I have fun searching for what I am searching for and obviously he does too. I offered to help him buy an inexpensive but good machine to aid in his searches (like an Omega 8000) but he is content with the old compass. He feels close to it obviously, but he mostly uses it like a beep and dig unit. But again, he has fun with it like that.

Coinseeker - I forgot to give you props in what you do! I am 43 and I feel the aches in my body. That is something else you got there! Keep on keeping on and keep enjoying yourself.

Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2012 11:10AM by earthmansurfer.
November 04, 2012 01:51PM
Its not about finds but nice to have a good one drop in the pouch now and then...I understand what you are talking about as deep silver is my obsession and well shallow clad at least gets one out. Your post inspires me as bad legs from diabetes and 74 years of age don't travel anymore and a deep silver is tough locally with a good bunch of hunters in my area scouring the area for years. Tip of the hat for a job well done and hopefully next year will be a better one for me and wish all hobby members young and old the best in their ventures and don't forget to smell the roses along the way.
November 04, 2012 04:30PM
What a neat post/thread!----It inspires me as 74 is "knockin on my door" (in a tad over 3 months).----I'm still in good shape & health (as is my best hunting pardner, my wife)-----but---I know/realize I don't have the stamina in the hunts that I once had, even 3-4 yrs. ago--that's a plain & simple fact.-----So, I just try to conserve my energy & use it on the days hunt for the way I want to be hunting at the time.-----For instance, if I'm hunting deep coins, that's what I center on with the Etrac & pass shallow targets (except quarters).-----If I'm in the mood for shallow hunting and covering a lot of ground, I'm using the great little new (light) GB.----Relic hunting is a different situation again (for me) and I hunt differently for relics than this.------The bottom line is: I'm still having "a blast" detecting but am only good for so many "gettum down & gettum ups" grin-------I just hope I can still be doing/enjoying this great hobby at 80, as the author of this post is.--My hat is off to you sir!-------------God Bless, Del
November 06, 2012 12:23AM
I want to thank you all for your support and encouragement. I feel like you are true and sincere friends.
November 06, 2012 01:06AM
Wowsrs!...80 and still "coin fishing"...........I wish to be doing the same at that age.....as long as YOU are enjoying yourself...what difference does it make if "Jonny" gets more coins.....this is so inspiring..... Thank You so MUCH!!!! smiling smiley
November 06, 2012 01:37AM
Good for you coinshooter!!!

And Yes as long as you are enjoying the hunt it does not matter who's finds the most or the best ...

I will say it again they are all real close when the coil hit's the soil...

Keith
November 06, 2012 03:10AM
"I want to thank you all for your support and encouragement. I feel like you are true and sincere friends."

That's right we ARE your freinds, now just go ahead and tell us where you found the fountain of youth!
November 06, 2012 05:14AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I want to thank you all for your support and
> encouragement. I feel like you are true and
> sincere friends."
>
> That's right we ARE your freinds, now just go
> ahead and tell us where you found the fountain of
> youth!

YEAH, TELL ME----QUICK! ha ha-------This post/thread has gotten me so inspired I think I'll just go out & buy me another detector!!---Oh that's right, I've already got the best there is (for me)! ha ha----One things for sure, we ARE all friends here!---------Del
November 08, 2012 12:10AM
Hi Guys,

Good on you coinseeker 78 i have been around swinging since 1977 and now heading towards 75 and just got an e-track recently. Still got my Whites v3 so enjoying using both and comparing. I would just feel strange if i did not have that extension to my arm. Their is a few oldies in Australia still swinging so keep it up coinseeker 78 their is nothing like the suprise of what the next target might be.

Regards o2findit Down Under In Oz.
November 08, 2012 01:55AM
That is a great story! I wish you and your friend all the luck in the world too. I say it all the time, "Keep it fun".

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
November 08, 2012 11:20PM
Way to go Coinseeker I have been hunting over 40 years and am 70. I just hope I can be like you at 80. Finding a silver dime still makes my day, I found 3 mercs yesterday and I was on cloud 9. Keep up the good work