Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Interesting Tek Omega performance results

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Interesting Tek Omega performance results
June 14, 2009 10:16AM
For the past couple of months, I have extensively field-tested a new 11" x 7" DD coil for the Teknetics Omega. Some interesting discoveries. First; the primary area that I chose to hunt......... the non-ferrous targets of interest were approx in the 7" range. Several weeks ago, I hunted this area with the 9-3/4"
elliptical concentric coil. No non-ferrous targets were recovered. Although the Omega is capable of approx 10".... these targets were undetectable due to signal
attenuation from masking. A unusual loss in confidence ensued.
Fast forward--------- With the 11" DD coil installed, the Omega
became a measurably different unit. Suddenly, many non-ferrous targets
came to light. Even though this DD coil provides a approx 1" depth gain
on a high conductor Cu dime.... it placed the unit into a
"window-of-acceptability" for non-ferrous target acquisition in this
unique scenario. (Also, the Omega has multiple parallels to T2 platform). In bullet fashion:

* Disc '16' is the critical/pinnacle for max unmasking capabilities for the Omega..... as '21' is for the T2.... and '6' is for F75

* Fairly heavy EMI mitigated by sweeping coil in concert w/freq change

* Slightly better depth on high conductors vs. T2

* Slightly less depth on low conductors vs. T2

* Pinpoint delay is disconcerting..... for the first few moments of usage.

* Some elongated Fe targets are completely undetectable in ID mode with
no Disc & no notch. 90Deg turn...and Fe is then detectable. Undetermined (at this point) if this is a attribute...... or detriment.

* At first, the MP clock speed appears to be slow...... but Omega would
target-separate as well as T2

* MOST IMPORTANT: Omega is the industry forerunner for "stability"...
and the industry forerunner for "confidence" in Fe/iron nail infested areas. Although the unit is not as sensitive/deep as flagship F75..... this fatigueless
operating characteristic in iron is surreal. It is a dramatic departure from all others.

------------------

This brings me to another thought,, that I will post .....in the form of a question...... sometime in the very near future, on this forum.

Tom
Re: Interesting Tek Omega performance results
June 14, 2009 09:16PM
I wonder if the 11DD for the F5 will do the same for that machine

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 15, 2009 12:04AM
Wow! Thanks Tom.

I just got my Omega last Thursday and so far love it. Would you post this on the Tek forum at findmall.com? There seem to be quite a few people following the Omega there. If not with your permission I would post it.

I really like the stability of my Omega and the audio. In about an hour I was accurately calling targets. I was just clad hunting to get used to it and its responses. Not trying deep yet.

blacktoe
June 15, 2009 09:28AM
You would be more than welcome to cut-and-paste...... and put it on the Tek forum.
June 15, 2009 11:04AM
Thank you Tom. I will be looking for more info as you release it

blacktoe
June 15, 2009 01:55PM
Tom, is the Tek Omega more stable compared to a Minelab Explorer? I've always considered my Ex II to be the pinnacle of stability (nulling?) in iron infested areas.
June 15, 2009 04:17PM
Tom if thy can make the Omega stable i would think the
next generation F75 could be the same
June 16, 2009 01:27AM
The Omega can have some EMI issues, yet, with proper freq selection and sweeping the coil......... and the EMI almost always goes away. The problem with the Explorer is that it is (fairly) quiet in the iron..... TOO quiet. ,,, To the point of not being able to unmask non-ferrous targets in close proximity to iron. The Explorer is deeper than the Omega..... unless iron is near (which is more frequent than most folks realize)...... then the Omega will trump.

Incorporate Omega's ""forerunner for stability....& forerunner for confidence in iron""..... into new/upcoming detectors? Hmmmmmmmm; I shall (in time) make a entirely seperate post on this topic........ in the form of a survey.
June 17, 2009 02:02PM
Since the Omega is a close relative of the F5, the high EMI doesn't surprise me.

It took me some getting used to with the F5, when held still it's a chatterbox. Even with moderate gain/threshold settings.

Frequency changing doesn't usually help much if at all, but sweeping the coil makes it disappear.
June 19, 2009 01:07AM
Yes, , , that is the correct characteristic resultant.
July 30, 2009 01:46AM
I took the O8 out for a trial run Tuesday, and it's much less impacted by EMI then other newer F-series machines run in the same location. I was able to run it at 90 in a high EMI area, and as long as the coil was on the ground it was very stable. Once I set it down to dig, it was a different story, chattering away like an R2D2 sound off competition (wish I had a mute button, makes it challenging to hear the pin-pointer).
July 30, 2009 04:29AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

> * Disc '16' is the critical/pinnacle for max
> unmasking capabilities for the Omega..... as '21'
> is for the T2.... and '6' is for F75

Tom - Any idea on what the "magic number" would be for the F5?
July 30, 2009 10:49PM
Not off the tip of my tongue. Most of my energy is w/F75.... and other beach units.
January 31, 2010 10:30PM
Hi All, Just recently purchased the Omega and the 11" DD coil. In regards to: Disc '16' is the critical/pinnacle for max unmasking capabilities for the Omega, does this apply to all tone options or only for single tone?
February 01, 2010 01:37AM
This is primarily intended for the single-tone/monotone config; however, it also works well with other tone options.....if you choose to NOT hear the iron. It has always been my recommendation to hear most/all iron.....if you have tone options selected.......so you know what truly lies beneath your feet.......and you can adjust your techniques accordingly.......especially sweep-speed.
February 01, 2010 12:39PM
"* MOST IMPORTANT: Omega is the industry forerunner for "stability"...
and the industry forerunner for "confidence" in Fe/iron nail infested areas. Although the unit is not as sensitive/deep as flagship F75..... this fatigueless
operating characteristic in iron is surreal. It is a dramatic departure from all others.

------------------

This brings me to another thought,, that I will post .....in the form of a question...... sometime in the very near future, on this forum."

I am new enough to this forum that I may have missed this "question". Does anyone know which thread or subject its under?
February 01, 2010 11:57PM
I believe that was the survey post, and if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Tom - Thanks for your response. The information presented on the forum is truly eyeopening.
February 02, 2010 12:17AM
You are welcome. That's the intent. (eye-opener).
February 03, 2010 05:31AM
Akaudigger

Something I have noticed is that the Omega handles hot and cold rocks very well. On a Lake Michigan beach I hunt there are both types in abundance. Using the DD coil in all metal no ground balance offset was required to silence the rocks and it hit on a nickel placed directly under some of the more offending ones. Now not all Hot rocks are the same but it may help knowing this if you plan trying the Omega for nugget shooting up in Alaska.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 11:13AM by Jackpine.
July 12, 2015 05:50AM
Some good information folks.
July 12, 2015 09:02AM
Its funny you bring this back up Tnn...I just today traded a gb pro for my old Omega .And as I type this, its 2 am, and Im getting ready to go hit a small street tear out, was trying to decide which detector to bring.
July 13, 2015 07:41PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its funny you bring this back up Tnn...I just
> today traded a gb pro for my old Omega .And as I
> type this, its 2 am, and Im getting ready to go
> hit a small street tear out, was trying to decide
> which detector to bring.

Take the Omega! The one thing I liked about my O8 (don't have it anymore) was that it was killer on silver in demo sites! I found with the 11" DD (or better yet the NEL Sharp Shooter) it's great in trash/iron and hot on silver.

Not to mention it's light as can be....
July 14, 2015 02:18PM
No doubt the omega is a good unit but I scratch my head when I see the radio shack exterior poor makeup...
Personally feel the F5 is a good unit on its own but presents a much better exterior makeup and hear very little about this similar unit...
July 14, 2015 02:27PM
FT machines are very good for sure TID is better than the deus but let down by by no wireless phones and UK users are all moving on to wifi
July 14, 2015 02:47PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No doubt the omega is a good unit but I scratch my
> head when I see the radio shack exterior poor
> makeup...
> Personally feel the F5 is a good unit on its own
> but presents a much better exterior makeup and
> hear very little about this similar unit...

I've used their G2 with identical housing, rods, etc (different innards only) since 2011 and I can't fault it, zero build issues. I now have the G2+. Very solid IMHO and very well built for the lightness...
I believe the plastics they use are very strong...and light...I will probably buy the Omega 8500 after it gets the 'OK' from a few good testers....