Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro Tejon tips...Keith S. and others

Posted by sekypaleo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro Tejon tips...Keith S. and others
November 07, 2012 01:09PM
Just picked up a Tejon to compliment my G2 for relic hunting. Most of the ground I hunt in is mild to moderate as far as mineralization. Seems I remember somebody on here posting a way to get good depth from the Tejon in bad ground. Any other tips on this machine would be appreciated! Bill
Re: Tesoro Tejon tips...Keith S. and others
November 07, 2012 02:23PM
Keith is definitely the Tejon man. You can find more info from him on the Tejon and other machines on YouTube.
His handle is: relics1864
November 08, 2012 04:00AM
To get the better depth out of a Tejon you will need to balance it in Disc mode...

I like to balance it first in all metal ...The switch to disc mode, bob coil and turn Ground bal. CCW till you get some noise on the bob....Then turn it back CW till it just goes quite then stop....

Why you ask?

Well a Tejon as other Tesoro's when balanced properly in all metal mode will be more ground positive when flipped into disc mode...They do this in their design to supposedly alleviate mineral noise on the disc side....I think they list is a something like Built in mineral rejection,,LOL!!

In harsh ground it usually is about 1/2-3/4 turns to positive when flipped into disc mode after a proper all metal ground setting..so when you adjsut in back negatively in Dsic mode a 1/2 -3/4 turn should do it before noise comes in.......A DD will allow you to bite the ground a little more on the GB...Without getting alot of extra noise...But in iron the 5.75 concentric works the best unmasking compared to the 5.75 DD.....The big 10x12 DD is a very Deep coil for open area's...when propelry balanced...The 5x10 DD is a good light Stock coil depth coil that covers more earth per swing....

People give tesoro a bad rap for poor depth but if set up right it is a very good contender with other detector's...
Again it takes more than a few days to get an understanding of any detector...

Now one thing you will notice though if in harsh ground is the pinpoint will sound off on the dirt instead of a target when activated because the all metal mode will be negative..

Also a tejon like's a slower sweep speed for ultimate depth....

The audio at depth is a learned trait...it's clicky like rejected target's but yet smooth edged on the click's if that makes sense...Set disc 1 to just break up on a nail..usually in the F on Foil on somewhere close....for best depth....

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2012 11:34PM by Keith Southern.
November 08, 2012 02:47PM
Tesoro surely makes some good beep and dig machines and lately some of their machines have become much deeper...From reading and research understand there are some extremely hot ones and hope yours is one of them...

From using many model Tesoro's over the years indeed their audio can reveal a lot to the trained ear..

Yep Keith is one of the resident TeJon guru's so read his posts carefully....
November 08, 2012 11:16PM
Like Keith stated, A good GB is very important for proper depth. Also running the GB a little positive will
help with chatty soil. Listen to the unit and as you are hunting, and the unit starts getting a little noisy,
Do another GB. Slow sweep speed is also important. If you find yourself digging some iron, that is giving
false signals. Try a little faster sweep speed, just over the target. This will often clear the false signals.
As always check targets in two sweep directions as well. A tip that I read and still follow is to take a nickel
with me. Before I start searching, I will drop it on the ground and sweep over it. This just helps tune my ear
to the short quick beep of a good target. It seems to help me hear those fuzzy tones that pull tabs and aluminum often give.

Tom in SC