Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega 8000 Versus the AT PRO

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega 8000 Versus the AT PRO
November 22, 2012 11:18PM
Anyone know Which detector the Omega 8000 or the Garrett AT PRO is better for coins and goes deeper? Thanks in advance.
Re: Omega 8000 Versus the AT PRO
November 23, 2012 12:37AM
First it was between the Teknetics T2SE or the Omega 8000.

Then it was between the F70 or Omega 8000.

Now it is the AT Pro or Omega 8000.

---------

I see a common denominator...
November 23, 2012 12:42AM
Coinseeker,are you happy with your AT-Pro?
November 23, 2012 01:34AM
I am trying to make a decision on the purchase of a new detector. The T2se and the Omega 8000 both interest me. However I am trying to decide if I will gain enough over my present detectors to make the investment. I figure you folks that have experience with these detectors can inform me on whether either detector will provide me with enough ability to find more coins over my present detectors.
November 23, 2012 01:41AM
I have told my findings on these detector's before....The AT-PRO is alot of machine for the money...The Omega is alot of machine for the money...

The Omega (IF it is able to be ran Hot) is slighlty deeper on the highest coin's.

Keith
November 23, 2012 01:50AM
"First it was between the Teknetics T2SE or the Omega 8000.

Then it was between the F70 or Omega 8000.

Now it is the AT Pro or Omega 8000.

---------

I see a common denominator..."

Its obvious the man wants a new machine and can't make up his mind!

Coin seeker, how about giving us your resume?

What kind of machines you've used?

What kind of hunting you do?

How long you've been hunting?

What do you like to have in a machine, beep and dig, bells and whistles?

Let us do the thinking for you....

November 23, 2012 04:01AM
I presently use an F70 and a Garrett AT Pro. I have had 5 years experience in metal detecting. Previous detectors I have owned are a Titan 3000XD, Whites MXT and Minelab SE. I use an FX1 pinpointer and Garrett Pro Pointer. I hunt for Coins and Artifacts. I also hunt for jewelry. I have been most successful with my Fisher F 70 and the AT PRO. I am 80 years old and have severe arthritis so can't handle the weight of the Minelab SE Pro for long. I did not care for the swingy thingy strap.I have heart trouble and diabetes also. I live to detect and it is my sole source of exercise. I have a good collection of coins back to the 1830s. I also have a fair collection of civil war artifacts all found in Indiana which is not a premier Civil war search area for these artifacts. That is compared to the south. I am very thankful to all of you who provide input to my threads.
November 23, 2012 05:31AM
You deserve ALOT of credit sir, detecting at your age. Most people your age are hardly getting any excersize let alone out there swinging a coil, down on hands a knees digging in the dirt.

With that in mind sounds like you really need to stick with a lighter/well balanced machine. Also sounds like you have access to some old coin sites based on your info. The AtPro is a great machine for coins/relics, hang on to it.

For a second machine (though I've not had one), again it sounds like the Omega may be a good fit for you. One other suggestion I may have is the CZ 3D (#1021). The 3D is my go too machine when coin hunting old areas, where iron isn't to bad. Most people do not realize what a great machine it is for coins because it registers hi tone on most U.S. coins. Think about it, you can take the 3D out and only dig hi tones and still find Nickles AND even the $1 gold coin registers hi tone (nickel)!
A very simple machine to operate and DEEEEP the CZ like all the other CZs is bullet proof, almost impervious to EMI interference.

In comparing the 3D to the Omega one of the down sides the 3D would be, its not gonna be as balanced and light. Also you don't want to add a SunRay probe to it as makes the 3D even more unbalanced.

I hope this helps, I'm sure there will be lots of other helpful tips, just don't rush into anything without getting as much info possible.

HH! Aaron
November 23, 2012 05:38AM
I commend you for you commitment to the hobby...

Now that the Medical is involved you will find the omega easier to swing than the AT-PRO when using large coil's..11" range...

the Omega is more Ergonomic...

As Tom Said the F70 will be a little hotter on coin's....But I find in bad dirt the Omega on High conductor's has less tendency to call deeper items iron...(IN BAD DIRT)...

Food for thought...

Try an Omega Out...order it with the Bi-Axial...I can honesty say it's a very good machine...it really does seem to be a type machine you can become attached too easily...

Keith
November 23, 2012 06:28AM
I am in a similar situation...my health isn't as good now so I too have studied up on the lightweight units.
All in all, I think the Omega, at least what has been reported here and elsewhere, seems to do well on coins.
It appears to id a little better than some of the higher freq units.
There can be slight tradeoffs that sometimes needs to be made in order to choose a detector.

I am hoping I can find a lightly used new version Omega....
November 23, 2012 06:53AM
Just on weight alone I (and I'm 43) would go with the Omega over the AT Pro. You have to factor in the body! But as others have said congrats on what you are doing.

The Omega is a great machine. If weight wasn't a factor I'd go with an E-Trac, or perhaps, since it's Winter, just weight a few more months and see what Fisher comes out with....

Good luck!
Albert
November 23, 2012 02:06PM
Aaron
In comparing the 3D to the Omega one of the down sides the 3D would be, its not gonna be as balanced and light.

Don't forget that the CZ can be hip mounted through a belt. Then you're swinging only a shaft and coil, a combo that is arguably superior to the Omega regarding ergonomics.
November 23, 2012 02:19PM
Being in the same situation as you but 5 years or so younger I just think a F5 is a better made lightweight unit and have used an Omega and they are similiar machine units in performance

At pro has more of a learning process and since you asked the question of the two I would pick the Omega as even a blind man could see the meter and the AT has a rather small meter for super senior eyes...and of course the lightweight is a plus also on the Omega.

Of course if I know the coins are real deep my depth demon CZ6A will be in my hand as I don't have alll day hunts anymore and can handle ir for several hour hunts..

Will I make it to 80 God willing I will but along the way just won't be traveling and well no more long hunts for me...
November 23, 2012 02:38PM
Go-rebel wrote: Don't forget that the CZ can be hip mounted through a belt. Then you're swinging only a shaft and coil, a combo that is arguably superior to the Omega regarding ergonomics.
Reply Quote Report

I completely forgot, though the only time I hip mount is in shallow water and it's with the Au-21x.

Yes the 3D is very easy to hipmount w it's built in belt bracket.
November 23, 2012 03:13PM
Coinseeker, what is it that you do not like about the two machines you now have? That might be helpful to the guys trying to help you decide. Happy hunting, thats awesome at your age!
November 23, 2012 03:55PM
My F70 dislike is its EMI output but I can usually get rid of it with a 0 threshold setting and a 60 sensitivity setting. The small screen size on the AT PRO is the other and the coil heavy balance when using the stock coil. The 5X8 coil is not bad as far as balance goes and goes quite deep for its size. I think there are other detectors in the 600 to 800 dollar range that will go deeper except for my F70. The more info I get from other detectorests seem to make me believe I have a good enough combination to be competent with anyone else's detectors.
November 23, 2012 04:05PM
Coin seeker wrote: "My F70 dislike is its EMI output but I can usually get rid of it with a 0 threshold setting and a 60 sensitivity setting. "

And to think that you were considering a T2...

I think the competitive spirit you have at your age are impressive.
November 23, 2012 06:17PM
Really get the coil connector tight on the F70 coinseeker...

You wont believe how much EMI is elliminated with it being tight ..not just snug but finger tighten it as tight as you can get it...

Thats one good thing about the f70 ..Its on a s-pole,,the pistol grips are more prone to loosening as you swing because of flex...if you have a pistol grip FT machine leave enough drip loop or the connector will wiggle loose or pull the wires out of the connector over time..

The coating on the wire like to grip the pole so leave slack and get connector very tight...you will be amazed out how much EMI is removed from noisy machine by getting it tighter than you are used to on othr machine's..

I think wiht the f70 you would not gain a whole lot with a Omega ..probably not loose a whole lot either...

Keith