Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

E-Trac Target Locations - Color Plots

Posted by Johnnyanglo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
E-Trac Target Locations - Color Plots
November 24, 2012 04:18AM
Below is a stylized depiction of the Fe/Co response from 715 different targets plotted on a grid and further below as it would look on the E-trac display. The colored shapes correspond to different target groups (such as: gold pendants, silver pendants, gold rings, silver rings,and different coins with differing base metals). It can be hard to find some plots since they occur underneath other plots, I tried to make them at least partially visible. While actual in-dirt performance is likely to be somewhat varied, especially in the Fe numbering, it gives the E-Trac user some idea of where valuable targets should be expected (and when setting up disc, where they aren't as likely). Enjoy.

35x50 Grid Display

E-trac Display
Re: E-Trac Target Locations - Color Plots
November 24, 2012 11:21AM
Hey that's pretty cool, I'm going to make a print out of that.
Thanks!
November 24, 2012 12:03PM
I am going to work with this too, thanks. I am hunting freshwater lakes and I am trying to work a pattern that shows a better good to bad target ratio. It would also be neat to see where beaver tails and pulltabs are in you image.
November 24, 2012 01:04PM
Beaver tails ALWAYS land on in the nickel range (12/13), yet they never are solid hutters like the nickel as they bouce alittle.
November 24, 2012 01:48PM
Now........... add a little dirt mineralization,,,,,,,,,, iron rust flecks/flakes,,,,,,,,, a close-proximity rusty boot tack/nail........ tiny piece of chewing gum foil.............. tilt the target in the ground............. put two non-Fe targets somewhat close together.......... (all real-world scenarios) ........................etc...........................

and see what happens to these text-book perfect/ideal results. ((( Which............... by the way................ is still good/valid base-reference data........... just like a test-garden ))).
November 24, 2012 02:34PM
Real nice job of giving a starting reference but in the real world or perhaps your neck of the woods have to agree with Tom as so many variables and as good as the Explorer series is darned if you dig and darned if you don't. Personally when I used these units various movements of the crosshairs gave me a better idea of what I was after but it didn't come overnight and dug a lot to learn these movements. Indeed one of the best silver coin hunters out there but those that investigate will find does a good job as most gold ring or not kind of thing. Silver coins are easy but as with any unit so much junk to to mimic gold rings certainly a challenge.
In addendum try to look for patterns in the movement of screen targets and it will equate to more goodies in the pouch.
November 24, 2012 05:39PM
All other undesirable targets, whether ground mineralization, ground salts, non-ferrous trash, ferrous objects under the coil will each work to alter the results in innumerable ways. It would be great to have the in-ground Fe-Co numbers for 800 targets - but that isn't likely to happen. If I had them I'd plot them too. Such information would be very useful.

In the end, most of us determine the target identity by a process of pattern recognition, where repeated failures teach as much as success. After a bit you know what nails, foil, pull-tabs, and other junk sound or ID as - and when either visual or audible clues are slightly amiss you are alerted by that small difference - it might just be something worth digging.

It comes down to art mixed with a bit of science or perhaps dogged perseverance mixed with hapless ignorance.
November 25, 2012 12:54AM
Heck Johhny if it was too easy....it would be boring...and no one would do it..

PS: Tip of the hat for a job well done and certainly a plus for an Explorer user....
November 25, 2012 11:29AM
Just goes to show the old E-Trac adage "If you want gold, dig that 12 line". I try to be an eternal optimist and dig those probable pull tabs any way. Gold has a really smooth sound to it but being optimistic I dig them anyways because of possible colocated stuff. Nice work btw. I dig most signals that aren't in the lower right basement since neat old stuff in the areas I hunt can come up all over but it's surprising how close to the right numbers targets come up even with varying conditions. That's why you don't depend on exact numbers but if they're in the neighborhood you go for it!
November 25, 2012 03:45PM
Very nice work. Thank you for posting.

I suspect in ground tests and plotting would give you a screen very much like the stock accept pattern on the E-Trac. They open what they open for a reason.

Steve Herschbach

Prospecting Since 1972 at DetectorProspector.com

Steve's Mining Journal - - Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting "How To" Guides - - Equipment Information & Reviews - - Public Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Sites - - Gold Mining Claims For Sale or Lease - - Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 03:03PM by Steve Herschbach.
November 25, 2012 05:45PM
Look where the silver Trime comes in, if your in a old area w ALOT of aluminum trash your going to have to dig a lot of it to find one, unless.....your using a 3D. And that's the beauty of that machine.

Now, your looking for the 3cent nickel...forget it.