Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is the CZ-3D unit EMI susceptible??? Plus some random driveling

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is the CZ-3D unit EMI susceptible??? Plus some random driveling
November 30, 2012 10:37PM
I have discovered, by the readings of my last three detectors, that my ground is not really what you would call Iron mineralized. I just took for granted that it was, since I NEVER got more than 7 or 8 inches on coins (good, repeatable tone). I never paid any attention to the iron meters on the units I've had. I just knew that my units, even the F75 in boost mode, would sound off as iron on my 7,8, and 9 inch bullets with occasional chirps. I'm going to stop right here and say this: I realize more and more how LITTLE I know about VLF machines and their performance capablities. I rarely carry a ruler with me when I hunt. I doubt that I have the skill level to pull the deep silver out from places where I FEEL sure that it MUST reside, given the research I've done. I have always felt that if a relic/coin was inside of 7 MAYBE 8 inches, that I would hear it. I really don't know WHAT I want anymore.
I like hunting the old homeplaces here in town in the historical district. For anything that I might find. I am especially fond of pulling up a silver but I have never found a deep one. I owned an Etrac and in my test garden, it just would NOT perform on a 8 inch quarter. Especially a dime. I surmised: I have mineralized ground. I tried every possible setting with that thing. Open screen. Two Tone Ferrous. Everything. I had a CZ-3D that I had bought from Nasa-Tom. I remember burying a dime at 8 inches and getting an iron tone. "What???" I would think! "Must be my mineralized ground". And them along comes several detectors that read low iron content in my ground. I give up. I must live in the bermuda triangle of VLF performance. My Deus is the only unit that sings out with a hi tone on deep stuff and doesn't seem to affected, in town, by EMI. Anyway. No...not "Anyway". I have already said all that i know to say. I had high hope for today. But EMI decided that I need to run my gain and threshold WAY down. Dont want to get TOO deep!!! signed......a bit frustrated right now. Is golfing fun?
Re: Is the CZ-3D unit EMI susceptible??? Plus some random driveling
November 30, 2012 10:55PM
A 'proper' CZ is almost EMI proof.
November 30, 2012 10:56PM
Yes the 3D is EMI susceptible but not as nearly so as the F75. It may be also effected by silent EMI and you wouldn't even know it. In all my years of using a CZ Ive never had a issue w EMI.
November 30, 2012 11:00PM
Is the EMI susceptability of a 'proper' CZ improved through tuning?
November 30, 2012 11:13PM
The secret is proper ground balance and matching the sens. to your ground which equates to little or no EMI..and a stable unit...

Now on saltwater beaches depending on the beach high sens. can equate to some noise attributable to the wet salt enviroment which drives most units crazy...
December 01, 2012 12:21AM
In high emi areas it will shrug it off, for the most part. You can tell there is high emi when the cz has a waver in the tone, when ground balancing or pinpointing. Sometimes you will hear a slight pulse. It will work in areas that shut down the 75.
Emi does affect depth somewhat on the cz, but won't stop you from having a good time, it will still hunt. I mentioned a couple weeks ago I was in an area that imobilized the 75, out came the cz and killed the silver that day.

That's where noise cancel comes in handy on the Explorers, love that option.
December 01, 2012 12:30PM
To electronically internally stabilize any unit...... can make the unit more quiet/stable................... but a lot of EMI stability is in the initial electronic architect of the unit.
December 01, 2012 03:45PM
Have to agree with Ozzie although a CZ kind of guy and for the most part no EMI just loved the noise cancel of the Explorer series...always remember hunting an industrial area with the Explorer and when the lights went on it went crazy but a simple noise cancel and was good to go...really works for those not familiar with this unit...