Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got One! Now with Pictures

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Got One! Now with Pictures
January 07, 2013 12:44PM
Man I am still looking for one of them and have been for over 40 years. Congratulations
January 13, 2013 10:20PM
Hey ozzie, just curious as to how you made out with your 1st possible gold coin or anyone else hear results? Thanks, Steve
January 14, 2013 12:12AM
No further investigation just yet. Death in the family last week and had to take a trip.
January 15, 2013 01:03AM
Here's the one I found Ozzie. I am only posting it as a color comparison. I am just tickled to death for ya, not trying to steal your thunder. I could not be any happier for ya!!! I keep waiting for another. Ya know, they say the odds are against us finding another.....but we don't HAVE to give in to statistics. I think the Vista Gold will report another one. Here is the pic of my dollar piece:
January 15, 2013 01:43AM
Beautiful! Kevin. What year?
January 15, 2013 03:52AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful! Kevin. What year?

1859 no mint mark
January 15, 2013 11:46AM
Ozzie, did you find time to do the "ring test?"
January 16, 2013 02:05AM
Not as yet go-reb. I will after we settle down from my father-in-laws passing.
January 16, 2013 05:15PM
Ozzie, I'm sorry to hear of your Father-in-laws passing. I extend my sympathies and prayer to you and your family and all who suffered loss through his passing.
January 16, 2013 10:54PM
Thanks Kevin. Not to swerve away from detecting, but he was a very liked and loved man. He treated me like a bud from day one, twenty seven years ago, I'll surely miss him.
Life goes on.
January 26, 2013 10:29PM
Well, went down to the jewelry store and asked if they would weigh the half eagle, no problem she said. She gave me the weight in grams = 8.3 and pennyweight = 5.3.

Is that close enough to say it's not fake?
January 27, 2013 01:25AM
Yes.......... still sounds real/genuine.
January 27, 2013 02:22AM
Ozzie, did you find time to do the "ring test?"
January 27, 2013 05:51AM
Go-reb, your question reminded me to do the test. I spun a barber quarter on a ceramic tile floor, then the nickel. Did it a few times to hear the difference. The silver quarter made a nice high pitch ring, whereas the modern nickel had a dull tone. When I spun the half eagle, there was that sweet high pitch ring. I'm convinced. Neat test.
January 27, 2013 02:38PM
Spec weight is 8.359 grams +/- 0.016 (8.343 <--> 8.375) so yours is about right for a circulated coin. The ring test is even more promising.

Barryny had the correct answer though; see if a pawn shop will offer you fair scrap value.
by so many different things like fertilizers/chemicals, salt from the ocean, or most significantly heat or fire which is my bet after seeing it from Ozzie's first post...a super find! I have found quite a few "burned" coins that were really screwed up that ruined a really good silver or copper coin sad smiley
January 27, 2013 03:01PM
It's still a beautiful coin. Looks ten times better than the early pictures, after the clean up.

I'm holding on to it. Like I said, It,s my first and maybe my last gold coin find. I'm strictly a coin hunter and It kind of represents a milestone...thousands of hours and thousands of holes dug. I have it on the table next to my easy chair and look at it now and then....makes me feel kind of good.
January 27, 2013 10:20PM
I would keep it 2 ozzie if i would ever find one, congrat's I'm green with envy, is your Wife still right all the time? lol
January 28, 2013 12:09AM
Of course keep it if you wish, but a fair offer from a pawn shop puts the question to bed once and for all.

I'm always looking to build a good relationship with local coin dealers. I'll bring my 1868 V-nickel to see how a new dealer treats me. Always an interesting conversation...
January 28, 2013 01:40AM
Thanks there ozzy for letting us know.A very nice keepsake. Congratulations. Let us know what a coin dealer would offer you if you ever decide to go. Steve
January 28, 2013 01:59AM
huge congrats!!!! i would send it out to be graded! i would never ever trust anything a pawnshop had to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chuck.
January 28, 2013 03:11AM
Yes rapidroy, the wife is right most of the time, hate to admit. Have to give her credit though, she has the most common sense I've ever seen in a woman....and... she's a true blonde..... imagine that.

Thanks for all the pats on the back guys, really lifts the spirits.
I would never sell it...or give it away for whatever reason...
January 28, 2013 03:25AM
Tom's story of his 1856 flying eagle penny says it all...and I have some stories like that as well with some even more rare and valuable items over the years...oh well, live and learn smiling smiley
Re: I would never sell it...or give it away for whatever reason...
January 28, 2013 03:42AM
Sounds like it is a good one Ozzie...

Enjoy it for the rest of your life..

I know I would..

Keith
January 28, 2013 01:55PM
Absolutely amazing and thrilling find, congratulations Ozzie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stereotype about blondes seems to have a grain of truth...but that truth is for "bottle" blondes, not the real ones. Yours sounds like a keeper for sure.
January 28, 2013 02:18PM
Thanks marcomo. I consider myself lucky. She's the type that wears her heart on her sleeve and will voice her opinion either way....very wise for her age. She is very giving too boot, always volunteering to help loved ones.

She has taught me much by example. As long as I keep her feeling loved and appreciated, all is good. Well, enough of that, back to detecting.