Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Walked up on a House site Today with the VISTA GOLD

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Walked up on a House site Today with the VISTA GOLD
January 08, 2013 05:39AM
Since Deer season is over I went walking ...after about 2 hours of roaming around I found a nice roadbed and followed it to a house site...

Saw an old chimney still standing....Hunted it for awhile...Might hunt it again Sometime..really did not hold nothing particularly Old...

had alot of brass in it though....

No Civil War relics though...

but did mange to find a Pretty watch Fob with a liberty head pop out motif...I think it must be about 1890 or so...Caught it on video..Thought at first it was a small sash buckle....but once I turned the camera off I realized it was a Fob....

Do have a scene where the GOLD pulls a junk piece of brass out of some iron...pretty nice Audio report...

[www.youtube.com]

Heres the Fob

I like that fob ....Great Piece of Americana for sure!

Thanks for looking

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 05:41AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Walked up on a House site Today with the VISTA GOLD
January 08, 2013 07:47AM
Wow, like that fob Keith.
If that doesn't get you going, don''t know what will.
Personally, I like the tokens, fobs, old brass non-military buttons, etc.
I don't mind digging that stuff all day.
Anyway good find...I know I would go back there and see what else might be hiding.
Some of this kind of stuff can't be found in circulation today.
January 08, 2013 11:44AM
great hunt for sure Keith, the fob is a awesome find!
Lookin' Good Keith!!!
January 08, 2013 12:59PM
That oval folded piece looks like it has a Chevy bowtie in the middle!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 01:05PM by morelicdetector.
January 08, 2013 01:52PM
Nice find!

I'd hit that place again for sure :-)

HH
January 08, 2013 03:12PM
Indeed a nice find and indeed a thought to hunt again, perhaps with another unit. Seems to me might be another nice find undug. Surprising what thes old house finds produce..
January 09, 2013 12:42AM
Thank's Fella's...

Keith
January 09, 2013 01:11AM
Absolutely awesome find Keith!!! I love finding those old personal relics of the past as much as if it had connection with the Civil War. But I admit, that I have found myself disappointed when a relic which I ASSUMED was Civil War (like that civilian naval blazer button a few days ago) was indeed mere;y civilian. But that was wrong of me to feel that the civilian relic was somehow of less intrinsic worth than the Civil War relics. I have far more Civilian relics than Civil war relics....some of which are VERY interesting!!! That watch FOB with Liberty head is a PRIME example of an AWESOME FIND that is not related (probably) to the Civil War. I would proudly display it. Great job my friend. And THANK for the VIDS!!! I finally uploaded a vid onto my Youtube channel (it's just a camera panning around the computer room for a few seconds) and realize that it would be quite a task to hold a camera while swinging a detector, and then digging. You guys who make Youtube detecting vids need a major round of applause!!!!! Y'all have helped me SO much....more than you'll ever know. I guess I went overboard in making a reply to your thread, but I am just 'feeling it' right now. I am about to go get some supper at the Mexican place. I'll be 'feelin' something else in a bit. In my alimentary canal.
January 09, 2013 04:11AM
That's beautiful find for sure Keith
Congrats!
January 09, 2013 04:25AM
Nice hunt Keith. Thanks for the videos.

The audio of the Gold sounds similar to the Barons I run ( Goldtrax, Pro Hunter and Cointrax).
January 09, 2013 05:27PM
Hey Rover very observant...

Yes the Vista series does seem alot like the treasure baron's..

Those were some great machines for sure...Those were tone breaking 20 years ago ....Mr. Payne was alwasy in tune with what was needed for success...

Keith
January 09, 2013 08:29PM
Keith,

I have always stated that the Barons have some of the best audio traits of any detector I have used. Looks like the Vista's may have too ! I have red metal box barons and they are heavy ( but built like a tank). I mount them on straight shafts since I basically tone hunt so the weight is not that much of an issue due to being balanced very well.

Seems those Vista's are nice n light. May have to snap one up soon !
January 09, 2013 10:50PM
Always interesting to see 1/4-Century old detectors still in use/demand.
January 10, 2013 04:32AM
Hey Keith, awesome find in that fob motif.Is that made out of bronze or copper? What did you use to clean it up so nice? Thanks, Steve
January 11, 2013 01:23AM
Its probably brass Steve...

I just soaked it on olive oil for a couple of hours then wiped it down with thick nap cloth..

I dont like to ever put water on a relic once it gets out fo the ground and dry's off...

If it has gilt I go with lemon juice..

If not I dy clean it with broken wooden close pin with exposed fiber's if it's cruddy...

Keith
Hey Mark you were right...The piece is off a Chevrolet
January 20, 2013 10:45PM
Man I wonder how a car part got back in there...

there is an old grown up road bed....someone probably junked out a car or something back in there one time....

Might of been an old Whiskey runner !!!!....

got add some excitement to it...LOL!!!

its off a 1928 Chevrolet...How do I know...Thats the only year that particular style emblem was used...

OH well...

Good eye Mark!!

Keith
January 20, 2013 10:48PM
to the right collector i bet you might get a good dollar for that, dam nice find
Re: Hey Mark you were right...The piece is off a Chevrolet
January 20, 2013 11:30PM
Cool Keith!!

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man I wonder how a car part got back in there...
>
> there is an old grown up road bed....someone
> probably junked out a car or something back in
> there one time....
>
> Might of been an old Whiskey runner !!!!....
>
> got add some excitement to it...LOL!!!
>
> its off a 1928 Chevrolet...How do I know...Thats
> the only year that particular style emblem was
> used...
>
>
>
> OH well...
>
> Good eye Mark!!
>
> Keith
January 21, 2013 01:19AM
That Chevrolet emblem is NICE!!!!!! Congrats!!! The Gold is doing it's job!!!
January 21, 2013 03:00AM
I cleaned on it a bit...

Wonder if someone restoring a 1928 would want to buy it if I put it on Ebay?

I am sure theres not alot of originals out there...seems to be some repro's around..

I dont want to over clean it...

was hard to get that crease out of it....it might hurt the value...I think it's not to noticable though...

Its not really my thing..

Keith
January 21, 2013 04:33AM
WOW Keith!!! Yes, I think that putting it on Ebay would be an awesome idea. Someone somewhere is needing that piece, I bet. I'm just echoing what someone else said a few post back I thinl. Anyway, great restoration job!!!
January 21, 2013 11:39AM
Keith - Really nice find on that fob.
I would prefer that over a ring.
How did you clean it up ???
January 22, 2013 02:56AM
Hey Gov thanks for the remark...

The watch fob was a nice find.. and unexpected....But thats the thrill of the hunt so to speak..

I soaked it in olive oil then brushed it out with a tooth brush...I try to always stay away from using water on historical pieces...

The pic does not do the color justice it's actually a green instead of brownish color like the camera show's...I took it under a halogen light and it disclored it some...

What I have found out is the pop out liberty was a design used about 1890 or so till about 1920 or so...I figure its a turn of the century piece...

Thanks

Keith