Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D

Posted by Miser 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D
January 08, 2013 03:12PM
Looking for a new beach/wet sand detector (no surf).

Is now a good time to buy a CZ-3D, or is it better to wait for the next generation in the CZ lineup?

Heard some grumbling about the construction quality of the new CZ-3D's. Just wondering.
Re: CZ-3D
January 08, 2013 05:56PM
Perhaps Tom would have more info on this subject but personally feel a CZ3D is as good as its going to get and doubt if any revised or updated CZ is in the works...
Seems like from the factory seems to be big differences in depth in the CZ3D from the new Fisher/Tech so might look for a local dealer and air test before you buy.....
January 08, 2013 07:27PM
Smudge - Word is that Fisher is going to release some new detectors but I don't know if they are MF machines, I am not sure if anyone does know but it really looks certain that something is coming out. I sure see a lot of CZ's for sale here in Europe lately, quite strange - I'm sure they don't know anything.
If you get a good deal on a CZ it sure would be a nice detector to have anyway (IF THE WEIGHT doesn't bother you), but if it is icey and cold where you are, I would just weight (pun intended).

Albert
January 08, 2013 10:42PM
Don't know if the time is wright. Do know they are a real pleasure to use.

Every setting is at your fingertips, pinpoint all metal depth reading at the push of a button.
TID has just enough increments so you can decide quickly dig/no-dig.
Tones are crisp and clear and easy to distinguish.

It hasn't got a single gimmick on it, everything is there for a reason.
And it finds the older coins without any problem at all.
Hip mounted the coil has a nice firm feel to it.

In my opinion, this design should be allowed to slowly evolve.
Simply because it feels like a classic.
January 11, 2013 02:41PM
I hear that for some reason the CZ-3D likes to give high tone signals for iron. Is that true?
January 11, 2013 03:03PM
smudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear that for some reason the CZ-3D likes to
> give high tone signals for iron. Is that true?

More precise, ...for rusted nails.
January 11, 2013 06:14PM
Smudge....not necessarily.

The key or 'secret' with any CZ is when running in discriminate mode, to run in 0. If a CZ is going to false high tone on deep iron or rustly nails, it will almost always mix in a valid low tone. If running at any discriminate level other than 0, the low tone will be canceled out.

When an iron signal gives off both low and high tones, and you are running in discriminate mode 1 or greater (ie, blanking out the low tone), you will only hear the high tone (which more than likley is iron wrapping into the high tone range.

As an example, think of the discrimination pattern as a circle, where 0-20 degrees is iron (low tone), and 270-360 degrees is copper and silver (high tone). If an iron target goes into the negative range, it then falls into the 360,359,358 range of the circle, hence giving off a high tone. A CZ user running in discriminate mode with iron canceld, will then think this is a good target and dig up iron....and then start to think a CZ is an 'iron magnet'. Not really the case. Does it like deep iron in the sense it will ID it as high tone....yes, but if you run in discriminate mode 0 and hit that target from all angles, dig only the repeatable high tones, and use the pin point button to size it and get some all metal info, you will dig up MUCH LESS iron than if just running in discriminate mode 1 or greater and digging every high tone.

Took me awhile to realize this, but I hardly dig up any deep iron and never dig up shallow iron with my CZ any more.

One other note...not all high tones sound the same. There is a difference between a harsh high tone false of iron, and the mellow high tone 'tink' of a deep copper or silver coin. The only way to have that knowledge is to have hours of hunting under your belt using a CZ...and running in 0 discriminate mode.
January 11, 2013 08:10PM
Rover good info all around....Many call them rusty nail magnets but I call them depth demons and if you fit into (many) might want to Google Mikes CZ page as its a wealth of info rel the CZ series like myself the Rover can probably tell a deep coin by the soft high tone even in max. disc. but like myself 20 years of CZ experience by both of us is tough to beat so follow Mikes tips and your rusty nail magnet will evolve into a depth demon certainly equal to anything on the planet....depthwise coil for coil size....
January 11, 2013 11:08PM
As I was reading therover's post, it came to me that even thou the CZ's can high tone iron at times, I have NEVER had iron give a medium tone! Never...that I can remember.... and this is what I am looking for when beach hunting... the medium tone(s). As a matter of fact, if I get a weak low iron tone on the beach, I will always swipe away some sand and see if the tone moves up into the medium tone. It just might be a good deep target that the detector can't identify correctly until the coil is closer to the target. This is why I love the CZ6a/5/3D machines on the beach. I'm listening for the low conductor medium tones which is where almost all the gold is found. I've heard that a really large gold ring will sometimes come in at a high tone, and if I remember correctly they show up in the lower silver range. I may be wrong there, so someone correct me if I am.

My couriosity is peaked on the new Deep Tech machines, but I wish they had an extra tone for medium conductors. But again, they probably can't compete with the CZ's in the salty wet sand as they're only single freq. Just hope that the next Fisher will be two or multi freq machines for this very reason.
January 12, 2013 01:53AM
Connor...excellent point on the mid tones and beach hunting for gold. One of the main reasons a CZ is the only VLF unit I use on the beach. I can mid tone hunt when deemed necessary (like when I am tired or want to really concentrate on getting the gold) and not worry about iron or clad....but some of those darn crusty zincs hit mid tones !!

Still, 90% of the time I dig all repeatable mid and high tones when beach hunting cuz ya just never know.

DanPa....yup, Mikes page is a great resource. Glad you mentioned that.