Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Tesoro Golden uMAXX to be released "before too long"

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Tesoro Golden uMAXX to be released "before too long"
January 12, 2013 05:35PM
Looks like they are revamping the Golden. I hope they add a GB and some more depth. If you read the forums, this has been being requested for a while now.

Taken from the Tesoro forum over at Finds: [www.findmall.com]

Begin quote:
This is from--Recent Posts by Others on Tesoro Metal Detectors--[www.facebook.com]

Mark Hall
Hi, I heard that the golden uMax sales are on hold, can you tell us anything about this?
Unlike · · January 6 at 8:18am
You like this.

Tesoro Metal Detectors Hi Mark! That is correct. Through further research, we're working on some developments for this unit. You can expect it to return better than ever before too long!
January 7 at 2:33pm · Unlike · 1

Mark Hall thanks for the information and I look forward to the improvements of this model, I think the multi tone machine is the way to go.
End quote

Albert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 05:37PM by earthmansurfer.
Re: New Tesoro Golden uMAXX to be released "before too long"
January 12, 2013 06:22PM
I really like tesoro's there are the company that got me hooked on analog style machines that little silver umax really had sold me plus my father inlaw when he's able has got a compadre that he loves, really wondering what there going to do with the golden i had a new golden new tones but traded it for coils for my g-2 so this will be intersting for sure!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 10:07PM by AMCJAVELIN.
January 12, 2013 09:03PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like they are revamping the Golden. I hope
> they add a GB and some more depth.

Albert, I think those 2 things you specified are all the Golden uMax needs. If they add those 2 things, I will get one for sure.
January 13, 2013 01:21AM
I modified a golden umax with ground balance pot a few years ago. Took all of five minutes. If you watch this video by 53silver he shows you the amazing notch feature. If Tesoro adds ground balance and makes it depper, it will be a winner.

[www.youtube.com]
January 13, 2013 05:47AM
Tesoro did a little crucial management change that, thankfully, appears to be listening to their customers.

The Golden has always been one of my favorites. The new toned version made it better. But it needs a manual ground balance to make it really useful. Several of us told them how to fit it into their existing user interface. I'm hoping that is the big update. Got my fingers crossed anyway.

The new marketing manager should also do a better job of communicating whats new than the last guy.

HH
Mike
January 13, 2013 11:09AM
Hungarian - Yes, I heard it was easy to add a GB control as the pot is easily accessible inside. Watched that video and it's clear how the unit is a great park hunter (in America anyway).

Mike - Thanks for that mention. I didn't know they did anything with managment. Funnily enough, I thought "That is a family business and they will be reluctant to change. Too much internal tradition." Well, looks like they are attacking that problem. You know, it's like many larger corporations - they stop innovating and rather buy other companies (which sometimes kills innovation as well as it is often a "competition control" thing). The research is just getting more specific and is not explanded. But a small company can hire a key person here or there and really change that - making a big difference.

My fingers are crossed. I would just love a deeper Golden with GB. (I'd love a 2lb E-Trac even more, but beggers can't be choosers.)

Albert
January 13, 2013 12:24PM
boy the golden with a ground would be killer, too bad they couldn't tdo that with the Deleon too
wjs
Question about the Goldens operation
January 13, 2013 01:37PM
Not trying to trash the golden in any way but the one I had would hit on small can slaw with a high tone like a coin. I would get a good tone that I thought would be a coin for sure and then dig up a piece of a can that had been shredded with a mower. This happened time after time. I could see this happening with maybe larger pieces of can but these were smaller pieces like the size of a quarter and smaller. The public places I hunt are loaded with trash as you can imagine and digging a bunch of holes in public parks to chase pieces of shredded cans is not good. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal operation for them?
January 13, 2013 02:19PM
Personally would like them to add a toggle...VCO or the standard pinpoint they used for years.Better sizing abilities with standard pinpoint and of course many prefer the VCO for pinpointing. Sort of best of two worlds. Indeed Tesoro's are not depth demons but have audio variances and sure like gold jewelry especially the small stuff not found in even the most expensive units.
Certainly one of the best outfits for service after the sale with lower range prices....
January 13, 2013 03:50PM
wjs can slaw usually comes in at foil or pehaps nickle. Would think your unit needed a tuneup......not normal in any unit rel can slaw....
January 13, 2013 04:22PM
I had a Golden Umax a few years back and was amazed how much my nickel count went up, great park/newer homesite machine. Let it go for a F5, I didn't like the 2 middle tones, not enough seperation for my ears and the depth fell short(maxed out @6-7") I haven't tried the newer tone version, but now, if there is truely a new version (with hopefully a GB and a bit more punch), I will have to retry that machine. With the GB it might even be a good dry sand setup for the beach,( might have to add a cleansweep coil).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 04:24PM by Beach.
wjs
January 13, 2013 06:37PM
Dan. It was one of the newer Goldens with the new tones. I bought it brand new. And yes on every other detector I have the small can slaw come in at foil or nickel at best. On the golden they came in as high tone. I just assumed that was normal operation for them. I guess I should have checked before I got rid of it.......;o(
January 13, 2013 06:53PM
The reason the goldens do not have ground bal is because the i.d. system that Tesoro uses is aligned after a ground bal is set..

So when the ground bal is changed the i.d. system will be off...In this case the tone breaks can move...If the dirt is not severe it will not be to noticable...

This is why the cortes does not ground bal in Disc mode..the i.d would skew......

The whites IDX will do the same thing..

add an external ground balance to the circuit and watch what happens to the i.d.s if you deviate the ground too far off the factory setting...

its not a whole lot but it does alter thing's...

What a modder needs to do is have another pot to align the tone back to zinc/copper break after working ground bal is obtained...

Things will skew...When ground bal is changed . i. d wise

I am sure their new design will take care of this...

I wish they would take the Tejon and put an iron grunt with volume control for it.....and have tone break variable by disc setting...2 tier the disc one for just iron...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 07:54PM by Keith Southern.
January 14, 2013 06:11PM
Kieth are you saying to dedicate one of the two discs to iron range targets and have the other disc(call it # 2) pick up where disc(call it #1) reaches the upper end of the iron range? Neat idea.
January 14, 2013 07:57PM
Yes Beach...

Not sure they will ever do it though...

Oh they probably would but then send them overseas...

Probably call it the Euro Tejon...LOL!!

If they do it the tone break MUST break with the disc setting though ...Not a factory set tone break.....

Keith
January 14, 2013 08:48PM
I've owned two Goldens modified with external ground balance controls and the discrimination changes were very minor, often not noticable at all.

I've owned three Goldens that were not modified and I had to pop the cover to ground balance them and again the changes were very minor. You might get a mixed tone on some high zinc range targets but for the most part it was a non-issue. The Notch width controls the other two lower conductive tones and you set thatbreakpoint as you desire, so no issue there at all.

So the changes caused by adjusting the ground balance point on the Golden are very minor and easily compensated for and are not a reason to not add a manual ground balance.

HH
Mike
January 14, 2013 09:30PM
Most of the G.B. range is in a small window..

Yet I have seen the zincs go copper and the copper go zinc's and even a roll...

I am glad your's worked for you Mike ...yet is some grounds the advantage of having the Golden tone's are sacrificed...

A simple external I.D. alignment pot would be even better...

I am sure the new factroy ones will take care of this Minor problem......

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 09:31PM by Keith Southern.
January 14, 2013 11:31PM
I wouldn't recommend touching the tone pot. It takes a lot of time to put those back where they belong. I've had several where they were adjusted way out of wack and it takes a good part of an hour to get them set back where they should be. One was so bad that the guy I bought it from only had one tone.

If you were to put them on an external control to adjust everytime you adjusted the ground balance you would spend an inordinate amount time setting the tone balance, only to have to do it again the next time you ground balanced. The tone adjustment affects all the tonal ranges. So you are not just looking at high tone/zinc tone boundries but also all the other conductive boundries. It has to be "balanced". One other thing to keep in mind is a low battery on a Golden can also affects the tonal boundries.

So again, the minor offset that might be encountered by a ground balance change is better than spending time balancing the tones. But perhaps a 3-3/4 turn pot and a couple of coins in each shoe might make it easier to balance the tones (shrug).

Still want one with a factory ground balance.

HH
Mike
January 15, 2013 12:04AM
Yeah I have played with them ....When you swap out the VR for an external I believe it was 100k...? I used a 10 turn and it was quite doable seem's like I added a resistor into the circuit because it was just a small window of resistance that was needed to change the tone break......also the G.B. was a 50K ten turn I used...

It was years ago..All from memory...

But I know the factory would not want them like that..Who would I guess?

Keith
January 15, 2013 06:37PM
An update from Del, just in case anyone missed it: [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
"
I posed the question to Tesoros Robert (allcav) on the Findmall Tesoro forum if they were going to ad a manual ground balance on a "revamped" Golden.------This a direct quote from him & answer to my question before the post was closed out.-------"There isn't a new revamped Golden. It is out of production because we are fixing a bug in the programming".--------------So, sorry guys, looks like your desire (and mine) for a manual gb Golden isn't going to come to fruition.----Unless of course we do it ourselves (gb mod).--------Del, "
January 15, 2013 09:26PM
Sort of slightly on topic, Monte in some of his posts complained about ground balance on the Tesoros...suppose that would
generally include the Tejon and Vaquero that the ground balance could cause the non-detection of larger silver coins.

I have no idea if this is true or not, it was something that I thought was odd...or perhaps it isn't odd, I dunno....