Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

diggers the tv show

Posted by squarenail_cache 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
diggers the tv show
January 21, 2013 08:17PM
who likes or dislikes the show and why
Re: diggers the tv show
January 21, 2013 08:29PM
Im a NO GO on that show. It has some great sites, an ark for the finds, but for some reason they prefer to be just another stupid reality show. They did one thing good..... dumped the obnoxious and rude Savage. It no where near the standard Chicago Ron set for our hobby. They should really take advantage of this opportunity its once in a lifetime guys. a lot of people could be interviewed and take this show up a notch if they really wanted to make it a reflection of our hobby..... its imbarassing right now.

Dew
January 21, 2013 11:25PM
Who has time to watch TV?
January 21, 2013 11:32PM
Every year I see more reasons to not watch TV, this is just one more. I don't even watch what is jokingly called the news! It all insults my intelligence.
January 21, 2013 11:50PM
the imuturity of roughly aged 45 year old men that act like 10 year olds, the terminology they used drove me insane! no more for me!
January 22, 2013 12:11AM
One show is called Digger's the 2 guys who run around doing flips and have no clue to what they are digging up value wise...Or historic wise..

The last show I saw them do was Civil war...They had a flat button valued at astronomical amount seems like it was 75.00...What??? Really a 3 dollar flat button...
[www.ebay.com]

But the they have a 2 piece confederate buckle...the wreath part...and they say its worth 25.00 dollars...how bought 500.00 ++++ in Today's poor market.....

[www.americancivilwarrelics.com] Scroll down middle of the page...

The the other show is American Digger's with the Wrestler guy...Just seems fake in a way...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 12:25AM by Keith Southern.
January 22, 2013 12:12AM
The thing that bugs me the most is the research team and money behind it allowing them to hunt the choice places the average detectorist (me) rarely if ever gets to hunt!
January 22, 2013 12:17AM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of that wern't seeded, its too much bologne for my liking, but it would be nice to see a hohnest ot goodness metal detecting show with real hunted finds and not everytime your going to find something great but alot of it for us is thrill of the hunt, right?
January 22, 2013 01:05AM
I saw the one called American Diggers (no relation to the magazine) with Savage yelling BOOM BABY!!!!! when he found something he considered to be the grand find of the day. The last few minutes of the program show him taking his finds to a dealer and selling them and walking out the door with a thick wad of bills. The naive public sees that. They assume when they see me or another detectorist out swinging a detector in a yard where we have permission. What will the suppose???? That we are trying to find something that will result in a thick wad of cash. It does more harm to our hobby than help. But theire purpose is NOT to educate. But to entertain. I don't watch it and when I am asking permission, many of the landowners have seen the show. But I am glad to report that so far, I have not been confronted with : "What's MY cut???" by the landowner.
January 22, 2013 01:08AM
Boy they do seem to come up with some very good places to hunt. The part i dont like is they always seem too be in such a hurry in great places
January 22, 2013 04:48AM
Nerds and dipsheets. Ive heard rumors that one of the shows is trying to get permission to hunt area very close to me...not too happy bout that, but it is a free country.
January 22, 2013 07:05AM
WWI was a big thing around here.
WWII saw a lot of german troops stationed here and there, with us being liborated by the Canadian 1st army.

First thing the general public asks when they encounter someone swinging a detector,
"Find any bombs yet??"

Public has weird notions about what we do.
That and I dig up more than enough live small arms ammo to consider those large iron/non ferrous signals.
Now and again a farmer and his tractor take a leap of faith, don't want to go in a cloud of black dirt myself.

Anyway TV always gives a fake view on reality, certainly when boring reality get's transformed into an entertaining "reality show"

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 07:09AM by scoopjohnb.
January 22, 2013 02:18PM
Buddy called me up to tell me it was on..Wish he didn't as it sheds a bad light on the hobby....hope its cancelled soon......
January 22, 2013 10:13PM
rapidroy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thing that bugs me the most is the research
> team and money behind it allowing them to hunt the
> choice places the average detectorist (me) rarely
> if ever gets to hunt!

They probably would never get to detect those sites if it weren't for the TVcameras & money.
TVcameras & a little $$ makes most people go crazy.
Why do you think Jerry Springer & Maury are so popular?

This show is no different....see ya yardhunter
January 23, 2013 02:52AM
Childish to say the least, I am more inclined to watch Tom Massy or the new one that is out Swamp Diggers, Any one caught the show?
January 23, 2013 03:37AM
Haven't watched the alphabet channels or cable T.V. since 1996. Was a big time waster. Passing by a T.V. blaring away at a store serves to remind me how utterly vacant, degenerate and debased the shows have become. At work I can see CNN hanging from the wall - an insipid mouthpiece of a particular political party. I don't think I've missed anything important, at least not since Seinfeld went off the air.
January 26, 2013 11:34PM
Both shows are a joke........waste of time..and a bad image to the hobby......you want to see real videos of guys digging up good items go on youtube...thats my suggestion.... smiling smiley
January 27, 2013 12:15AM
Watched each show ONE TIME. What a waste of my life. Never again for either one for me.
January 28, 2013 02:51PM
I've finally broken down and watched several episodes of this show.

My first observation is that this is not a good thing for the hobby, but it is about what you would expect from a non-reality "reality" show.

With hundreds of TV channels looking for programming, the hobby was fortunate to avoid the reality vultures for as long as it did.

Very few outside the hobby would watch a program showing a true representation of metal detecting. This show is produced for the millions of people who don't metal detect but have daydreamed of finding buried treasure, it is not made for those of us who truly do metal detect.

The annoying camera angles bother me, especially the one they continually use from the ground that shows the two idiots twisting unnaturally with the detector.

What annoys more is the stupid competition bets they have every show where the idiot who loses the best find competition gets something foolish done to him as punishment.

What bothers me more than that is the idiotic terms they use for their finds and the way they act like morons jumping in trees, falling on their face, etc. when they make a good find.

What bothers me still more is that the show can't be bothered to take a few precious seconds to show proper retrieval techniques so the many novices who see this show and decide they are going to go out and find fortune don't go to their local historic park and tear it up.

Worst of all, the inflated and completely erroneous value of the finds. A 1928-D penny with a value of $25? In what world is a 1928-D penny out of the ground ever worth more than a few cents at best? The inflated value of the finds has the negative effect of making a lot of the kiddies who watch these kind of shows want to take up metal detecting and find all that instant treasure. Virtually all of those who do will drop out of detecting when they realize what detecting is really about. But they'll leave their property and other damage behind to the detriment of those of us who love this hobby.

But it doesn't matter what you or I think. King Dufus, the Dorkmaster, and the producers of this show are no doubt laughing all the way to the bank.
January 28, 2013 05:30PM
From your description marcomo, puts me in mind of the "Monkeys" show back in late, 60's ???
January 28, 2013 05:43PM
Yeah, and the Monkeys were probably more entertaining!
January 29, 2013 07:11AM
The Monkees were derogatorily coined the "prefab four" since they were created and marketed - prefabricated - to compete with the Beatles AKA the Fab Four. By 1967 the Monkees were more popular than the Beatles. Helped along by John Lennon's remark in 1966 that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.

Unlike when I was a kid, I'm no longer embarassed to say the Monkees made some really fine 60's pop/rock music.

The Monkees TV show was silly and dumb, but next to Diggers it's Masterpiece Theatre.
January 29, 2013 06:17PM
I agree with Marcomo's assessment. To the very tee. Everytime a car passes by me when I am in town swinging and I glance up and they are all looking at me as they drive by slower than usual......I cannot help but wonder: "Do these folks think that I watched the Detector reality show and think that I rushed out and bought a detector?" I can't help it. I often wonder that. Oh, it doesn't slow me down. But it embarrasses me a little to think that THEY think that I bought into the hype created by those shows. "Oh look....there's Kevin metal detecting.....he must watch American Digger and is pretending to be one of them." (But most likely, they are not even thinking about me and are just wondering if Wal mart is going to be filled with people) lol
Back to the real world: Do you guys know if there is a Metal detector manufacturer that is sponsoring the show??? Just mildly curious. You know, THEY stand to benefit from increased sells. Surely they realize that and have a hand in there somewhere. But that is conjecture on my part.
January 29, 2013 07:37PM
A very detrimental show for our hobby, does not portray the hobby as it really is. Plus the values they place on the items even wholesale was mostly way overpriced. Just mindless entertainment for the masses.
January 30, 2013 01:07AM
[www.youtube.com] they ought to take notes from these Gentlemen part 1 & 2 very well done! HH
January 30, 2013 02:36AM
Good video, professionally done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 02:53AM by Aaron.
January 30, 2013 03:51AM
Reality shows...I hate them.
As I have stated long ago, the less the public knows about metal detecting, better off we are.
As already mentioned, when someone sees us detecting, immediately they will think we are getting rich.
It's a downward spiral, we already have been banned from detecting many places...these type shows will only get
a bunch of idiots to go buy detectors and do things that will end up making it more difficult for us to find places to detect.

I suppose there will always be opportunities to detect in the future...I do wish our American detector companies would get involved
to make sure local, State and federal govts don't continue to look on our hobby as a red-headed step-child.
But they haven't...one day they will regret it...and we definitely will also...
January 30, 2013 04:38AM
Kevin, when I thought about it rationally I told myself to get a grip. But I'll admit my gut reaction was I wish these buffoons weren't using the same detector I use.

I'd give you very long odds that Garrett is paying for product placement.

I completely understand why. And if Garrett didn't do it, some other manufacturer would for sure.

But it still disappoints me that the company whose products I use is financially contributing to something detrimental to the hobby.
February 07, 2013 12:54PM
Go to youtube and search: Treasure Hunting America
Hundreds of good, real world, professionally done video.
February 07, 2013 06:20PM
the Shows are very detrimental to the detecting community..

I am sort of embarrassed now to be seen out with detector..

I m sure the fellas are nice guys and all but the way they make it almost carnival like is rediculous...

So much more could be done than their zany antic's...

They get to hutn so many off limit sites that a PROPER attitude would bring so much more to the public perception,,,

But if it was a more learning experince show like National Geographic used to bring us their ratings would plummet..

I could envision a show on a weekly basis picking up were it left off last week....working hand in hand with archaeologist on sites showing the finds ..showing their use...even some living history actors ..

Show how detectors help law enforcement....

Show how detector are made

Show how to properly use them

Show public museum collections found using metal detector's..

Try to bring the detectorist into a positve light ...

Dont show the monetary value of the find show the Historical significance fo the find...

Dig an eagle button next to a spring head...Flash back to a scene of a Wounded soldier lying next to the water source trying to get his last drink of water while he takes off his jacket and lays it on the ground..

Make people aware of the reason we hunt...

Keith