Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whats your favorite coin find and why

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Whats your favorite coin find and why
January 31, 2013 02:23AM
Super Old coin Yeasty!!! Congrat's...

Nothing like the oldies for sure...

RLOH sounds great on the seated dime....might be the longest retrieval on record LOL!!

Hey Aaron hope you find you one....That Tejon will sniff one out of iron I would bet on it....

Not sure what kind of coin/token that is leggo but it looks really unique...I like it alot..

Hey Tom .If I dont find one in my life I wont be dissapointed...It just one of the things you have on the detecting bucket list...

Hey Kevin....Thanks for thinking of me and Aaron and others about the Gold coin scenario...
I know you being a relic hunter will apprecite my hard to get Relic....I would take this over a dozen gold coin's..these babys are tough to come by as you well know...took me 30 years of hunting to get this one...Some will go to there grave without them...I have a unique story I will share one day about it but I cant right now the story involves the site and I the site is unique and too revealing if I talk about it...and I am no where near through with working on it...But it does involve a Tornado...

Great thread going guys...keep it up..
January 31, 2013 03:34AM
Congrats on the beautiful buckle Keith, I hope you finish that site soon cause I want to hear the story!
January 31, 2013 03:52AM
A guy that I work with found a $5 gold piece in his back yard. He kicked it up (I suspect putting out a cigarette...), and it was only about an inch and a half down in the ground. I let him borrow an MXT but I don't think he used it.

He sold the coin to a local dealer for $350. I asked to check the yard he found it in, but his situation at home wasn't good and my opportunity vanished. Maybe someday.
January 31, 2013 04:28AM
Keith, and this is freaky, I was with my hunting buddy George. he uses an ACE250 exclusively. Everytime him and I hunt together, I show up with a different unit. lol last spring, we were hunting near a spring in the city limits. Guess what he dug up and brought over to me. A buckle just like yours!!! It had all three hooks on the back. It was ID'd as a Tennessee made rectangular CSA belt buckle. I held it in my hands before the dirt was even off. He asked me: "Reckon what this is?". At first, I thought it was just a piece of junk till I blew (and rubbed) the dirt from the face of it and saw the letters!!! He's been offered 3200 bux for it. And he marked it with his shovel. More like GASHED it. Very rare. Yes, I would much rather find one of those and the chances of me finding one is slimmer than me finding another gold dollar. I don't want to jinx myself. It's just that the Confederate sites around here have been pounded by people who were researching and detecting long before I ever started.
That is a BEAUTIFUL specimen that you found!!!! That CSA rectangular buckle trumps my gold dollar ANY day of the week. heck, I would even like to find a US one!!! I have NEVER found a buckle plate or ammo box plate. I am more or less going around and picking up the scraps from what others left before me. My machine is just better at seeing through iron.
January 31, 2013 04:56AM
Hey Kevin they are out there Bud!!!

This one come out of some of the worst iron imaginable...and deep too...MXT got it...

I reread my post and I was not trying to belittle anyone's gold coin or yours sorry if it semed like that.. ..It in no way trumps your gold coin ...It is just a hard relic to find ...Just as a Gold coin is a hard coin to find...I thought you would enjoy seeing though....Relic Hunters like to see relic's...

I dont care what the value is I would not sell it ...

there certain thing's I can not part with...certian relics are one...Certian coins are another..

Your buddys is the Tennessee style....Mine is sort of like that....We call them C.S.A. Thin's down this way.....they are thinner than some of the other style's
Alot of the earlier Hunter''s from the 60's called this type I have Alabama Thin...they were usually associtated with Alabama cavalry troop's and that's about dead on for where I found it...I even managed to find a copper plated large stirrup under it about another foot deep...

You Know whats funny...I have found the U.S. buckles,, the U.S. Box plates, the Eagle breast plate's...But I can not come up with a Rectangle Eagle Sword Belt Plate...And I want one BAD...I got close a couple of years ago....I was hunting a site and digging reliss out of an old House site..But I got seen and the guy whos saw me went in the next day and found a beautiful specimen right were I had dug a colonial style lead filled oval rosette....He pulled it out of a bunch of Mason jar lid's....He took His sovereign turned the Disc wide open cancelled out all the trash except the super high condcutor's...Then He called and told me about it LOL!!!

Their out there Kevin...More than we can ever imagine...Alot of the Buckles are way deep...Seriously ...WAY DEEP.I have dug DEEP ones that sound Like a nail fasle...they are heavy they get in the dirt past 20 inches or more sometime's...there's awhole layer of item's thats just masked by the thick dirt layer...

Keith
January 31, 2013 10:31AM
Kieth - that's a great buckle/find...

You guys are lucky down in the south there!

We can only dream up here in the north of finding the GOOD civil war stuff like you guys do.

There is one camp that I used to hunt many yrs ago until I moved 100 miles across state - it's an island approx. 1 mile in circumference where the union trained the 5th and 23rd infantry troops before deployment. Not many know where it is or at least don't know it was a camp and I have found a few union pieces there (an eagle coat button, 2 cuff buttons, some reeds, firing caps, mini's, and bits & pieces of stuff) but NO buckles or plates or any other significant/major pieces. And the pieces I have found were hard to come by - I hunted that place dozens and dozens of times over many yrs sometimes coming away with nothing for 5 or 6 hrs of hunting and sometimes digging 100s of holes! The ratio of finds (war related) are probably 1 find per 200 holes dug! Only the "old timers" most of whom are no longer around know/knew it was a camp -- I met a guy in his 50s there when I was a 14/15 yr old kid that was detecting and he told me the history of the place while showing me his finds for the day (that was back in the mid 70s) and that's when I 1st got into the hobby as I was astounded with his finds and ran to buy my 1st detector! I believe it was a Garrett Coin Hunter VLF/TR machine for like $79.95 lol!

Do you know the composition of metal that CSA buckle is made of? Copper? Brass?
January 31, 2013 03:24PM
Dual headphone training...... two sets of headphones (via a splitter jack) plugged into one detector. 1998. Orlando/McCoy air base..... on a baseball field. CZ-6a. Friend of a friend underneath the second pair of headphones. Hobby demonstration. He (Larry) was interested to see if he would be 'interested' in this hobby. Whilst sweeping coil, I detected a target, verbalized my thoughts..... and called:

1) Target
2) 9" deep
3) Coin
4) More specifically...... a Penny
5) copper Memorial cent
6) 1964
7) No mint mark
8) like 'new' condition
9) lightly 'browned'
10) no corrosion

Larry claimed that I was absolutely crazy (and a psychopath). . . . and commenced laughing at me. I commenced digging.
At 9" I recovered a 1964 copper memorial cent with no mint mark that was nearly uncirculated, lightly 'browned' and with no corrosion. I handed it to Larry, calm, did not smile...... and stared at him. All laughter ceased, no words were further spoken,,,,, Larry turned a whiter shade of pale.

Priceless moment.
Priceless coin!

(For many implications/reasons, I made sure Larry kept that coin).

(((What Larry did not know was...... the previous week, I had recovered 47 pennies that were all 1964..... and at approx 9" deep, in this exact area. -- "Withheld" information.... does not constitute a lie. -- I speculate someone had a roll of 1964 pennies......... was playing some form of a kids game...... and never picked up their pennies))).

Got tons of experiences I could share..... just not enough time.
January 31, 2013 03:42PM
LOL.

And when you do have time, tell them the John Travolta story.....
January 31, 2013 06:43PM
@NasaTom: That would have been priceless to get to see the look on your student's face!!!!!!!
@Keith Southern: Oh no no no. Keith, I didn't think that you were belittling my gold coin. It's ALL good. And you're correct, I DO love to see other's relics. It ALWAYS motivates me. I never feel twinges of jealousy. Oh I have got other faults for sure. I'm not a real social person, so I am not good at social graces, but for some reason, jealousy over oher's finds never really effected me. When I hunt with someone, and THEY find a button or nice coin, I usually get more excited than them about it. And I am vocal about it. It's all very very fun. And "FUN" is a word that we should never outgrow...yet never overdo. Since having to "let go" of my day sitter for momma, I have been more home bound than ever. But I find that my relish for detecting is stronger than ever. So strong in fact, that I go out to my test garden and run through it and often just detect in the yard although it was just a corn field in the 50's. It's not near any natural water source. And I have never found any relics here. Just toys and coins from the late 60's.
January 31, 2013 11:44PM
Thats funny Tom!!

great memories Too!!!

Keith